Sign in to follow this  
Guest luissa

Excluding autogen with Shp2Vec

Hi LuisThat is a great tutorial you have written and it seems to be reasonably easy to follow. At my age (72) I find it hard wrapping my brain around these new techniques and so often the program has a steep learning curve. Yet when one has got by that and the

Hi Nigel,Each of the coordinate lines requires a height (may be zero for an exclude), eg:8,0-1.244353,51.192984,167.640000-1.244288,51.193738,167.640000-1.243062,51.193851,167.640000-1.241963,51.194011,167.640000-1.240865,51.194156,167.640000-1.240661,51.193851,167.640000-1.244237,51.192503,167.640000-1.244353,51.192984,167.640000George

Hi GeorgeThx for the rapid response; tried putting in an elevation but I am still getting the same error messageNigel

Hi Nigel,It works for me, attached is the output from Bln2Shp and Shp2Vec.George

GeorgeThank you so much for all of this. It worked for you but not for me so that gave me clues that there was something wrong. I re-downloaded BLN2SHP but this did not resolve the issue. So the only file left was shapelib.dll, so I relooked for it on Google, found a newer version, downloaded it and - voila! the problem is fixed.But I found that, what I presume was cell 101, appeared as a square with only autogen on it, and wiping out all the default scenery. Went back and read Luis's instructions, I was applying the EX suffix instead of FL, did the FL and it is working properly now, thx.Nigel

Guest Loke

I just got Shp2Vec to work for me. What I wanted was to exclude only a single lake near an airport. I did this first with SBuilder for FSX, but I soon noticed all water in the Qmid 15 cell was gone. So I made a new polygon in SBuilder and exported as shapefiles with the EXX prefix and edited the dbf file to give the same GUID as in the SBuilder exclude. What I got was exactly the same result; all water polys gone in the cell. So I had to redraw a lot of water...went back to SBuilder for the whole project.Is water excludes minimum Qmid 15? And what if I want to draw a tiny polygon around my gmax bridge models to exclude trees with Shp2Vec? Is autogen excludes also minimum Qmid 15?

Hydro Polygons are a minimum size of quad 15 and a maximum of quad 11. And exclusion polygons will use the bounding box of the polygon to determine the extent of the exclusion.And that bounding box can intercept the bounding box of the terrain element to be excluded in order to work correctly.So, exclusions will remove most terrain elements for their entirety in a quad 11 grid, except for freeway traffic which is removed in quad 15 chunks. Hydro Polygons will be excluded in their entirety and the size will vary.Autogen excludes (FLX) will remove objects within the limits of the polygon, irrespective of the quad level.By the way, the techniques outlined in the original post have been overtaken by the programs that are now available and that make everything much easier.I use SBuilder for FS X that can be obtained at:http://www.ptsim.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=18in the pinned topic at the top of that forum.Best regards.Luis

Guest Loke

Thanks for clearing up on the landclass/quad 15 thingie, and how autogen excludes work. I suspected this. Regarding what you say about what exclusions remove in a quad 11 grid, I currently work on a custom quad 15 landclass set. My hydro exlusions there keeps to that quad 15 cell only. Roads seem to exclude in quad 11 chunks, but I am not shure about that yet.PS: Guess I misspelled my writing a bit. I am already using SBuilder-X, and have skipped the bln stuff :-) Cheers,