Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

FLY Survey! Whats the Story

Hi Everyone,I'm interested in finding out what bits of FLYII you LIKE or DISLIKE?for example: do you like/dislike the Aircraft, the Aicraft Flight Systems, the Scenery, ATC, the Panels, Development, VFR etc.........or what would you most like to see?The objective is to highlight areas of FLYII, which may inspire future development................so don't be shy and let us all know what you think.Many ThanksJohn

Likes:Panels and their logicRealistic flight dynamicsRealistic engine managementSmoothness of visualsBest aircraft IMHO: Pilatus PC12, PMDG 757/777, RealAir Citabria/Decathlon, ROTW Seneca, P51 Mustang and Socata TBM700Dislikes:ATC... I suggested some kind of interface to allow working with VoxATC which would give more realistic ATC and speech recognitionScenery... looking a little old by today's standards, Terrascene used to work to improve this but took gobs of disc space. An update for Terrascene that would utilize some of the satellite imagery might allow for a facelift (still will take gobs of disc space).AI traffic... that doesn't defy logic or require manually designing each fileWeather... while there are some beautiful cloud textures out there and Infometar works well there is no smoothing of weather changes so you get very abrupt visual and flying condition changes.Radar... just sits there saying "wouldn't it be nice if I worked!"Inability to easily get higher resolutions, more work than it's worth.I still love Fly and believe it captures the magic of flight better than its competitors but you asked for a list.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest jjlobo

Fly!! is still the best flight simulator ever in terms of flight simulation per-se. I don't think others would implement something better in near term. MS Fligth Simulator repeated the same mistakes in the latest versions. It apparently gives more importance to outside apearance than to reality. Amazing ceneries, amazing aircraft models, amazing sounds, but that is all. I don't feel like a pilot inside an aircraft as I feel in Fly!!.O like Fly aircraft model system, panel features, engine simulation, flight dinamics, ATC potentiality, scenery potentiality, etc.From my point of view, the poorest things in Fly would be elimitated with a more complete set of USER FRIENDLY developing tools.There are a lot of good developers contributing with Fly!! environment. But develop to Fly is a matter to hackers. Dont't understand me baddly. Hackers like to discover what is behind and how to overcome it. I do like it too, however I don't have time for that.Every time I try other fligth simulators I came back to Fly!! and would like to have or to find ways to overcome developing difficulties in Fly!!SincerillyJo

Guest Easy Xjer

If I could get it running on my win xp machine I could tell you.

Follow the "FIRST TIME FLY!ERS - PLEASE READ" by Ken Salter to the letter. Also when you install the patches they have to be done from your hard drive and not from a CD, that means if you have the patch on a CD you first have to move it to your hard drive before running, otherwise you'll get an error. If you already tried to install and it's not working uinstall all of it, including going back in and removing the folders the installer made and start over. There are also some good tips in the fly.simvol.org site for installation and tweaking to make it work better.Good luck, I got mine running on my new system in no time after I remembered about the patch not installing from the CD.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

The combination of ROTW's P-51 cockpit, a few other aircraft, and a So-Cal photo-real scenery addon, produced some of the most realistic looking screenshots I ever took, when using the So-Cal from higher altitudes. I had water effects "off", and the oceans took on a much better looking grey appearance. Unfortunately, I lost the pics in a HD crash a few years ago.The panaramic setting just looked great from a high altitude, despite FLYII's limitation on resolution. However, down low, the resolution never looks as good as what's available from MSFS & X-Plane.FLYII's panel crispness, especially along the edges, is always smoother and better looking than MSFS. Considering how the panels look better, I could never figure out why the MSFS aircraft exteriors always looked so much finer with better detail than FLY's.As to flight dynamics, and the impression of being there; I've had very good sensations of "feel" and control in FLY, FLYII, MSFS, and X-Plane. Just depends on the situation, plane and scenery. No real edge here, although both FLYII and X-Plane run somewhat more fluid than MSFS to the eye.L.Adamson

Guest Easy Xjer

Originally several years ago I installed from hd. Now they aare stored on dvd but did not know they had to be installed from hd. I ran the patches 1 -2 3- last evening no error codes but same screen. Then I checked out the ROTW and ordered the dvd. Awaiting that to redoe the install. Thanks for the info but back to topic. While flying the Fly 2K I really loved the readable instrument panel with all the gauges on it as well s the autopilot. Get back when it is up and running. Frustrated FlyIIer

It can be very, very picky sometimes. I also modified some of the configuration files per the instructions on the fly.simvol site. If you are running a more modern video card you might need to do that.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest detector

What *must* be done in my eyes:1) Resolutions higher than 1024x768!!2) More 3D models at airports and cities. An easy to use converter for MSFS scenery would do the trick.3) A massive upgrade of elevation data and coastlines.Comments on 3):This can`t be done with Terrascene, it is just way too much labour, and would take too much HDD space. The generic stuff has to be modified. The existing Scandinavia coastlines are nothing but a catastrophe...one of the main reasons I gave up Fly`ing.PS: MSFS coastlines ain`t much better. But in Norway we fixed it ourselves, and today we fly in a complete custom scenery with the highest resolution on elevation data, coastlines, landclass and roads I have ever seen. The quality is so good that I can make 3D bridge models after original drawings, and they fit right in.

>inspire future development................future development, wow!1. scenery too gloomy, colors too dark & saturated, rather poor resolution for this age.2. atmospherics again very gloomy, sky is always off in terms of color, the whole thing with the scenery makes for a rather cartoonish look. Add poorly done clouds.3. Cockpits instruments, gauges lack fluidity, glass instrumentation can only draw jagged lines.4. The significant mistake (my opinion) of coupling aircraft movement with scenery update. This shouldn't have been done, professional simulators don't do it. I know I was arguing this point with Richard Harvey back and forth but ultimately I think it was a wrong implementation decision. Michael J.

Guest ben_

I'm not sure I'd agree with you about the clouds :-)

>What *must* be done in my eyes:>>1) Resolutions higher than 1024x768!!>You can use 1280x1024 or 1600x1280 : you just have to change fly.ini[Graphics]...gamePIXX=1024gamePIXY=768It's great with this resolutions.DidierROTW team

G'day Didier,< you just have to change fly.ini >< gamepixx=1024 >< gamepixy=768 >.....and also disable the user graphic screen. AskUserForGraphicSettings=0 That's OK for scenery gazers!!! :-) but it gets just a wee bit more complicated for those whose still like to use a cockpit.It could be done but would require a lot of graphics changes. The biggest drawback is a complete set of graphics is required for each resolution. Fly! II is NOT a windows based program; unlike another flight sim I could mention.Cheers,Roger

G'day Michael,By your own admission you don't have Fly! II installed on your computer. You haven't used FlY! II for YEARS.Your post here is nothing short of a confrontational troll.Cheers,Roger

Guest detector

Roger,Those tips have never worked for me. Just tried again, to no avail. Get a MS fault screen only, Fly II never starts. Even if it worked, the cocpit resolution problem remains.If any of you guys have a render.ini for a GF7800GT I might try once more. Would be nice for taking hi-rez shots of my scenery.