Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Funny thing about the simming community...

or maybe its just my fantasy that there is such a thing. Whenever there is a design problem I can count on Arno, George, and Dan Martin to answer, a couple of other people (Ihor and some others) also, and that makes me feel like I'm part of a community. Wenever there's been a design problem that I can answer I post right away.together we've made amazing possibilities in design possible. I like to think I've contributed plenty...perhaps not.I've watched other people have problems with their equipment, and the "community" (if there is one) has risen to provide ideas, and much input. I know a lot more about design than I do how to make fs2002 work consistently with this computer upgrade I've done.I've posted three times in the fs2002 forum and only got ANY response when I added a note in my post that asked if I have a pox.While I appreciate the response I did get, two folks posted, one had some constructive ideas, the other simply suggested "perhaps" I had bad components, I noted a post from "Jetguy" got so much response that avsim eventually locked the thread...I think about 50 posts were on that thread. I can only assume jetguy is one of the "good" members of the "correct" clique.A couple of my friends have emailed me, noticing the same thing.I guess the Avsim people would like me to "go away".Its been fun helping others here, but this is the first time I've needed help, and it bothers me to find that a willingness to help is not two way.Well, live and learn. I love the design process, but there is no point in it without fs2002 even working. I won't be able to test anything.The heck with it and the heck with Avsim.Bob Bernstein

Guest Lizardo

No, I wouldn't say that. At the first post, I was not near expert enough to even say "perhaps". Finally, since no one mentioned it, I suggested that hardware also fails...but I am still no expert. (nor do I really have a clue to the real solution). In any group of people, some are always ready and eager to help, or at least hold hands, and others are just drop-ins for their own gain. That won't ever change anywhere. But, search the net and if you can find any "core" group more willing to help..well, I haven't met them. You have areal stinker of a problem, what can we say?

Come on Bob, unless *you* know some reason why you have upset the 'community' I think >but this is the first time I've needed help, and it bothers me to find that a willingness to help is not two way.:( Hardware problem solving is more difficult than, say, scenery problem solving, if only becasue there are so many different systems out there.Or perhaps you would welcome 20 posts from people saying 'Sorry I don't know how to solve the problem'?I am not an expert in any field of FS but try to help where I can from previous experience and it has never entered my head to see how many posts one person got over another, not how many 'stars' someone has.Why not post your problem in this thread and I will see if I can provide an answer; you will get a response even if it is 'Sorry I don't know'Rgds

Guest SoarPics

Uh, Bob, I have to disagree with your perception of the folks here. I, for one, intend to dismiss your post here as something born out of frustration while trying to get the system running right. Now that you've had your rant (hey, it's OK... been there, done that) here are my recommendations:Reboot into Windows Safe Mode and remove all vestiges of the current VIA drivers. Also check the registry for anything refering to VIA and delete any entries. Reboot the computer and allow Windows to install it's resident drivers. After God knows how many reboots :-fume , reinstall the VIA drivers per your Motherboards directions (some MB's don't need all the drivers included in the VIA package).I don't have much experience with the Radeon video cards, but I have read numerous posts about updated drivers and making FS2K2 run well with that flavor of card. There is a Tips section here at Avsim with a good deal of information you might find useful.And since I have some rare free time for a few hours I will watch this Forum for your progress.As Mr. Chuck Yeager is fond of saying, "Press On!"Regards,

>I guess the Avsim people would like me to "go away". >>The heck with it and the heck with Avsim. Bob, isn't that a bit much? I believe I just helped you with a password problem in the forums in the last couple of days. People help with what they can. While I know some things about hardware, I'm no guru, and most of my time is spent helping with forum issues and I usually can't dig into hardware issues. These are some of the hardest to fix.Have you tried posting your problem to our hardware forum also?I just feel you have probably misinterpreted the responses here in the forums and it should in no way make you feel like you have to say the heck with AVSIM.

a rant, for sure...and I did appreciate ur help.Just bugs me that I'm ignored in the forums when I ask for help.B

Guest SoarPics

Sorry I didn't include this in my earlier post, Bob. RegCleaner will make simple work of removing the VIA drivers. You should still check the registry, after uninstall and reboot, for any remnants.http://www.jv16.org/Should make the process less troublesome.Regards,

u've been a bud for years, Paul, no offense meant.B

much appreciated, and thanks for the utility...should help.B

Hi, Bob. I think it is much simpler (and more true) than what you suspect: most probably, many folks here, just like me when I read the problem, couldn't offer a clue, so what to answer? And it could be that the knowledgeable people here just missed your posting. If you still don't get good hints here at AVSIM, I would suggest posting this problem on http://www.guru3d.com/forum or here on http://bbs.pcstats.com/tweak3d. Both are dedicated to hardware and to solving setup/conflict problems.All the best.

Hi Bob what Raedeon card do you have? I might be able to help if you need any! Dan

Dan, Radeon 64ddr vivo....interesting point in the other thread...B