Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Problem with the sun

Just noticed I seem to have a problem with the sun after switching to DX10. Have a look at the below screenshot and you'll see what I'm talking about. The below screenshot is with nicks_sunfix1 (from Nick Needham and available as freeware and IMO the best sun texture ever made) but I also tried other sun textures found in AS2012 for example and the same is there too.

Did some searching for this issue but didn't really find much which makes me wonder if the problem maybe is a local one with my DX10 setup?

Nicks%20sunfix%20DX10%20bloom%20disabled

Richard Åsberg

Cheap sunglasses?  :dirol:

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

After further testing I noticed this issue only is present in certain angles as seen below

DX10%20sun%20issue%20bad%20angle.JPG

DX10%20sun%20issue%20good%20angle.JPG

Richard Åsberg

Sure will let you know if I find a solution to this but I highly doubt this is something I'll be able to fix myself.

Richard Åsberg

Sure will let you know if I find a solution to this but I highly doubt this is something I'll be able to fix myself.

I'm using the same mods but without the bloom. Doesn't appear to be too bad. There's just a little offset at angles but not like yours.

Danny

If you're using the same sun texture replacement (nicks_sunfix1) but you don't see the issue in the same way I do I wonder why that is and what's making the offset as bad in some angles as seen above?

I normally don't have the bloom effect enabled (just wanted to show the difference here) and I've tried different sun texture replacements to see if it was Nick's mod causing this offset but the problem is present regardless.

Richard Åsberg

Is yours by "Paul Wheeler" and Nick Needham or is there no Paul Wheeler associated with your mod? And is the setup.exe file date and size  1,140,736 and 3/5/2009? The file name I have is sunmod.zip. Not to say someone didn't rename it.

Looking further at the one I have, it is actually Paul Wheeler's utility. He also has FS Water Configurator. He expanded on Nick's Sun Mod. I'll put a link up for you if you want it.

Danny

I have the original by Nick but I know about the modified version by Paul as well.

I haven't tried it though since I've been happy with Nick's version but since you say you don't see the issue as clearly as I do I'll give it a try.

Richard Åsberg

Just tried Paul's modified sun texture but the problem is still there as it has been with every sun texture I've tried so far both freeware textures as well as AS2012 ones.

I really wish there was a way to fix this because having this issue with such a central and global texture as the sun which will follow you on every flight is quite annoying.

This is what Paul's sun texture looks like from a good angle

Pauls%20sunfix%20good%20angle.JPG

And this is what it looks like after changing the view/angle a bit

Pauls%20sunfix%20bad%20angle.JPG

Richard Åsberg

Hmmmm....Looks like it's not just the sun which has a problem - check the Control Tower viewing part at the top. This could also  be caused by the use of the 40" TV and the zoom settings being used here.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Maybe it's me being blind but I don't see anything wrong with the control tower in any of the pictures? Or do you mean the shape of it and the "extension"? Because that is the shape of the control tower at ESSA IRL.

I don't think it has anything to do with the zoom level or the fact I'm using a 40" TV because then I would have also seen this when using DX9 wouldn't I?

Also other people see the same thing.

I guess this is something I can learn to live with considering all the other benefits DX10 has over DX9 but would be nice if it somehow could be fixed.

Richard Åsberg

Did some additional testing using different zoom levels and actually you're totally correct Paul the zoom level indeed has an effect on this issue but only to a certain level as you will see in the below screenshots.

In these screenshots the top one is taken at zoom level 0.7, then 0.6 and so on down to 0.3 but interestingly enough there's no difference going from 0.4->0.3 but only from 0.7 down to 0.4.

Zoom level 0.7

DX10%20sun%2070%20percent%20zoom.JPG

Zoom level 0.6

DX10%20sun%2060%20percent%20zoom.JPG

Zoom level 0.5

DX10%20sun%2050%20percent%20zoom.JPG

Zoom level 0.4

DX10%20sun%2040%20percent%20zoom.JPG

Zoom level 0.3

DX10%20sun%2030%20percent%20zoom.JPG

I wonder if changing any of the values in the file called suneffect.cfg found in the main FSX folder could fix the issue...?

This is what the file looks like

[general]
SunSize=1200
MoonSize=2072
SunTexture="sun.bmp"
LensFlareCount="11"
RenderCorona="1"
RenderGlow="1"
RenderMoonCorona="1"

[LensFlare.1]
Texture="sunglow.bmp"
Size="0.40"
Location="1.00"
Intensity="0.11"
Sunglow="1"

[LensFlare.2]
Texture="corona1.bmp"
Size="0.075"
Location="1.00"
Intensity=".30"
Corona="1"

[LensFlare.3]
Texture="corona2.bmp"
Size="0.35"
Location="1.00"
Intensity=".20"
Corona="1"

[LensFlare.4]
Texture="flare2.bmp"
Size="0.05"
Location="0.3"
Intensity="0.01"

[LensFlare.5]
Texture="flare3.bmp"
Size="0.025"
Location="0.05"
Intensity="0.40"

[LensFlare.6]
Texture="flare1.bmp"
Size="0.02"
Location="0.50"
Intensity="0.30"

[LensFlare.7]
Texture="flare2.bmp"
Size="0.02"
Location="0.6"
Intensity="0.05"

[LensFlare.8]
Texture="flare3.bmp"
Size="0.006"
Location="0.7"
Intensity="0.25"

[LensFlare.9]
Texture="flare3.bmp"
Size="0.012"
Location="0.2"
Intensity="0.25"

[LensFlare.10]
Texture="flare2.bmp"
Size="0.03"
Location="0.37"
Intensity="0.35"

[LensFlare.11]
Texture="flare2.bmp"
Size="0.015"
Location="0.45"
Intensity="0.30"

[MoonCorona.0] // new moon
Texture=""
Intensity="0.0"

[MoonCorona.1] // waxing crescent
Texture="moonglow_right.bmp"
Intensity="0.3"

[MoonCorona.2]  // first quarter
Intensity="0.4"

[MoonCorona.3]  // waxing gibbous
Intensity="0.5"

[MoonCorona.4] // full moon
Texture="moonglow.bmp"
Intensity="0.6"

[MoonCorona.5]  // waning gibbous
Texture="moonglow_left.bmp"
Intensity="0.5"

[MoonCorona.6] // last quarter
Intensity="0.4"

[MoonCorona.7]  // waning crescent
Intensity="0.3"

Richard Åsberg

Same issue here started with fixer although it's not bothering me a lot as usually from VC it is fine. Looking at similarity of our issues web I am starting to think we are brothers which got separated some time ago :D

Looking at similarity of our issues web I am starting to think we are brothers which got separated some time ago :D

:lol:

Maybe you're right, have to ask my mother about this :wink:

Richard Åsberg