Sign in to follow this  
Gary Shannon

Sim and Aircraft advice for a newbie?

I first flew on the Apple II SubLogic flight sim many, many years ago, and eventually graduated to Sierra's ProPilot. Since then I've been away from the hobby, so I have no idea what's going on these days. I just picked up FSX-Steam Edition, and started playing with it while I wait for my first HOTAS joystick to be delivered. I'm having fun flying around with the ultralight model with mouse and keyboard (what a pain!).

What I'd like some advice on is which sim software is best for what I'm interested in, and which aircraft should I be flying.

I'm interested in single engine prop with minimal instrumentation. I'd rather learn how to hold my altitude than to learn how to push an altitude hold button on an autopilot. I'm interested in enjoying the scenery and visiting new places. I'm not interested in keeping schedules and timetables. I aspire to be a casual flyer, with a simple aircraft, flying low and slow, and following highways, rivers and coastlines. Scenic eye candy is a priority for me. :)

Any suggestions on which sim and what aircraft I should try out? What add-ons are good for eye-candy fans? (My home town is KEUG so a nice looking home airport would be a plus too.)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hi and welcome back to the hobby!

I also like to fly GA and have quite a collection of aircraft by now.

In my humble opinion, a good place to start is RealAir simulations.

http://www.realairsimulations.com/products.php?page=products

Get the Scout and the SF260 Marchetti.

They are both really well done and a lot of fun to fly.

The Scout is a low and slow airplane, the Marchetti an advanced trainer,

fast and sleek.

As for scenery, try one of the Orbx regions.  The PNW region comes in a

free demo version, so you can see what it looks like. 

https://fullterrain.com/demos

Put yourself at Bowerman airport in the Scout (with the PNW demo installed) and prepare to be amazed.. :smile:

You are in luck, since Orbx has been very focused on the West Coast, and you can buy their scenery packs from Alaska to the Mexican border.. again, start with PNW, if you like what you see.

Bert

Thank you for both of those suggestions. I've checked out the two links and they look very interesting. I'll give them both a try. On the RealAir page, I like the look of the Lancair Legacy V2 as well.

Hi

If you are looking to fly low and slow with some scenery to enjoy, make sure you check out what is on offer over at the ORBX website.

Ian S

38.jpg

Thank you for both of those suggestions. I've checked out the two links and they look very interesting. I'll give them both a try. On the RealAir page, I like the look of the Lancair Legacy V2 as well.

The Legacy is a fantastic airplane, but quite a handful to handle... suggest you get comfortable with the SF260 first :wink:

Bert

The Legacy is a fantastic airplane, but quite a handful to handle... suggest you get comfortable with the SF260 first :wink:

OK. I'll take your word for it and start with the SF260. :)

Hi Gary,

There are some great options available for what you are looking to do.  Take a look at a2asimulations.com for high quality Piper/Cessna GA, and for great GA scenery you can't go wrong with the extensive range of pacific north west/alaskan scenery by Orbx which Bert has referecned.  

have fun.