•  

In Loving Memory Of

Tom Allensworth,
Founder of AVSIM Online

AVSIM Online
Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.

Photo

T Allensworth memorial flight sign up

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 jmbiii

jmbiii

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

Trucker;

I won't be able to join the flight, however I have been working on photo real scenery and AFCAD for KCHO on and off for a few months. As CHO was Tom's and my 'home' airport, I had written Tom about it shortlty before he made his condition known. I had hoped to finish it before . . .

Now only the tower/fire station are missing and night textures for the terminal. I will put together what I have and upload it as a very Beta/WIP prior to the flight so you all will have a place to land.

screenshot924_zpskjixgepo.jpg

screenshot923_zps8jldejxt.jpg

screenshot878_zpsabwi0ebx.jpg

Jmbiii

Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier !

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#17 trucker17

trucker17

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

Awesome Jmbiii.

I think that will be fitting.....Thank you....Post the link here for everyone and i will get PM'S sent out to everyone, about the airport....

Craig....

Hey everyone....

Here is a small change in the flight........1st. we will be doing a flyby over where Tom's home would be, below you will find the cords for it.

2nd. their will be a scenery of the airport that Tom used as his home airport....Check back here to get the download for this airport....This is where we will be ending the flight.......

Here are the cords for his home.

LAT/LON of Toms home, it should be:        

<ATCWaypoint id="AVSIM">

<ATCWaypointType>User</ATCWaypointType>
            <WorldPosition>N38° 6' 47.52",W78° 26' 28.31",+000499.00</WorldPosition>
            <Descr>Tom Allensworth</Descr>

#18 trucker17

trucker17

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:38 PM

Just so everyone knows.....

Their is no particular aircraft set for this flight....Use you favorite plane.....

#19 arnobg

arnobg

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

I see any aircraft is allowed but wouldnt this cause an issue with this many aircraft if there are jets involved with little props?

Also will we be able to get ATC event involved will this be on vatsim or no?

#20 jbinner

jbinner

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

VATSIM has a "hit squad" of visiting controllers to work events. being this is only a week out, you'd need to contact them ASAP.

I'd love to control the event, but my skills are VERY rusty at this point, and I was a RADAR controller in real life, some 20 years ago. VFR would not be good for me to work. :)

But contact VATSIM Hit Squad. I am sure they can find some.

As for my own flight, I am thinking of what and how I wanna fly this. Will post my sign up later...

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs Information Technology Analyst

Region 4 Business Critical Systems

System Specs on request

#21 jerryro

jerryro

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:59 PM

I am so very sorry to hear of Tom's passing.  I have relied on Avsim over the many years I have been involved in flight sim.  His contribution to our passion cannot be measured.

Jerry Olson

S.F. CA

#22 ViperPilot

ViperPilot

Freeware Evangelist

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

I see any aircraft is allowed but wouldn't this cause an issue with this many aircraft, if there are jets involved with little props?

Really?

I would think the Airspace is large enough to accommodate everyone, including us flying the "little" Props.

:wacko:

Posted Image

#23 arnobg

arnobg

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

Really?

I would think the Airspace is large enough to accommodate everyone, including us flying the "little" Props.

:wacko:

I didn't mean it to be rude I'll be in a prop too....what I mean is there is an issue with 28 aircraft departing from one runway in an hour with multiple types if there is no procedures or ATC to control flow...

#24 ViperPilot

ViperPilot

Freeware Evangelist

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:14 PM

Brett,

I think it would also depend on how many will be flying Online vs.Offline. In any event, I will do my best to fly right, and be where I'm supposed to be... hopefully!

Have a good Flight!

:smile:

Posted Image

#25 trucker17

trucker17

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

Their will be no problem with that......All planes will taxi out, and get airborn.....Once airborn, they will circle until the rest of their group is in the air, then proceed to the destination airport.....That is If they want to do a formation flight, If you prefer not to, then you are welcome to proceed to destination.....

#26 awash2002

awash2002

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

I will be in the Alabeo Saratoga TC

#27 jmbiii

jmbiii

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

Okay, I've just uploaded the BETA KCHO scenery to the library.  It should be available shortly.

I admit there is quite a bit to be desired . . . it's certainly not anywhere as good as what some of the good freeware scenery artists produce, but it'll give you someplace to land better than the generic FSX depiction. Runway 3 would be the choice if you pass over Tom's house coming from KRIC.

Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier !

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

#28 rcpistonhead

rcpistonhead

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

Is there still room for more pilots? I would love to join. Also, has  a donation link been set up by AVSIM yet?

Name: Benjamin Weaver

Aircraft: A2A C172 N521BW

Thanks!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

#29 trucker17

trucker17

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:46 AM

Yes we have plenty of room for pilots to join

#30 Jim Young

Jim Young

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

has a donation link been set up by AVSIM yet?

A donation link (icon) exists at the right of every forum. Although not specifically set up just for this memorial flight, the donations do help keep AVSIM running and allows the memory of the founder, Tom Allensworth, to continue.

Best regards,

Jim Young | Forums Administrator | AVSIM.com
Member AVSIM Board of Directors' 

You Have Agreed To These When Becoming an AVSIM Member. Make Sure You Have Read Them: Terms of Service (ToS)
Important other links: Privacy Policy | Forum Help | Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Request Support | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rules

My old computer specs: I7 4770K CPU in Turbo Mode 4.2GHz | GTX 780 | 16GB's RAM | Dell UltraSharp 34" Monitor (U3415W) | Dell 24" Monitor | ASUS Z87 Deluxe Motherboard  | Windows 7  

My new computer specs:  I7 7700K CPU overclocked to 5.0GHz | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 | Dell UltraSharp 34" Monitor (U3415W) | Dell 24" Alienware Monitor | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Motherboard | Samsung 960 EVO Internal SSD 500GB | Corsair Hydro H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler | G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB DDR4 4266 | Windows 10