Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

OOM errors revisited

Well, I will fire up P3D this weekend again after a month's absense and see what happens. However, my LOD radius is already set at 4.5, I have disabled RAAS and have no sound caching. I have already made all reasonable cuts bar disabling the visual external model on the T7 itself. Although I don't fly using an external view, it is sometimes nice just to have a peek at what's going on externally. There is one issue I have raised here before which I think may be a major contributor to my problem. I never had this issue with FSX or any previous version of flightsim. I have noticed that when I install new scenery (Aerosoft EGLL for example ) that the sim seems to display not only the new scenery but the default scenery files also. I can see duplicate/default taxi lines and lower resolution, duplicate terminal buildings. Why does P3D do this? Is it necessary to remove default scenery .bgl's every time I install new scenery? This must be contributing to excess VAS loading?  I must be missing the boat on something here because no-one else seems to be having this problem.

Aerosoft EGLL (comparing with UK2000) is a VAS killer itself even without PMDG or other complex add-ones. Interesting however, that I have zero problems with FSDT KJFK (another compex area with tons of AI). With T7 I have average VAS remains ~ 800/900Mb

Aerosoft EGLL (comparing with UK2000) is a VAS killer itself even without PMDG or other complex add-ones. Interesting however, that I have zero problems with FSDT KJFK (another compex area with tons of AI). With T7 I have average VAS remains ~ 800/900Mb

I'm going to switch back to UK2000 EGLL and see how I get on...

Agree!! FDST is much better than Aerosoft in many ways, and lately I have found FlightBeam to be just about the best thing out there.  I also like Taxi2Gate and I have many others and none are as bad as Aerosoft at hogging the VAS pie.  PANC is worse than EGLL.

Dan Downs KCRP

What other addons you use together with UK2000. Do you use AI traffic, UTX, FS Global?

I am using FTX Global, Vector, EU lc, England. And Ai traffic, WOAI.

Maybe it's in the way the sim starts. I always start with default flight (saved with simplest Mooney) to the scenario screen. Then I start ASN weather and choose Airport and gate in the scenario screen. Without the T7 yet I let the sim start to full screen. When everything is settled I choose the T7 from vehicles.

Also my cfg contains:

[Main]

AlwaysFullLoad=0

The rest like Gerard says and both autogen to Normal.

To my knowledge AI traffic has only a very small VAS imprint. Sometimes I fly with two traffic add-ons: WOAI and UT2. This because some airports, like Doha have very sparse traffic with only one traffic add-on.

I did a flight once with the T7 from T2G Doha with these 2 traffic add-ons, over FT Dubai to T2G Hong Kong. I switched UT2 off before the arrival and all went well. When parked I switched UT2 on again (just for fun) and with every parking position occupied and a roller coaster on the ILS, I still had 600 MB to spare :)

Aerosofts EGLL indeed was money not well spend.

[Main]
AlwaysFullLoad=0

What does this do? (or not do)

Erich,

From a post on the P3D forum:

AlwaysFullLoad=1
[According to Beau at Lockheed Martin, this edit will force the terrain to unload and reload when resetting flights and changing locations, which can free up some memory. I’ve tried it and it did remove an OOM issue that I was having, when flying into one large urban airport (Heathrow).]

Why I have set it to '0', good question, I have no idea. Maybe I was thinking it would prevent P3D to load too much when still in the scenario screen. I have to try '1'

Regards,

Agree!! FDST is much better than Aerosoft in many ways, and lately I have found FlightBeam to be just about the best thing out there.  I also like Taxi2Gate and I have many others and none are as bad as Aerosoft at hogging the VAS pie.  PANC is worse than EGLL.

I think to just say Aerosoft is a huge VAS killer is not entirely correct. Aerosoft has a diversity of scenery developers working for them, each with their own style that generalizing it like that would be too easy.

Aerosoft has a diversity of scenery developers working for them, each with their own style that generalizing it like that would be too easy.

You are right and I stand corrected. The only Aerosoft airports I have are EGLL, PANC and the very old EDDM.  EDDM is not a problem.  PANC is so bad I have to save/reload at TOC... my flight yesterday EGLL-KLAX made it all the way to Hudson Bay before I had to save/reload LOL.  FSDT PHNL to KLAX (KLAX being the worst for FSDT I think) does need a save/reload before TOD.

Dan Downs KCRP

Erich,

From a post on the P3D forum:

AlwaysFullLoad=1

[According to Beau at Lockheed Martin, this edit will force the terrain to unload and reload when resetting flights and changing locations, which can free up some memory. I’ve tried it and it did remove an OOM issue that I was having, when flying into one large urban airport (Heathrow).]

Why I have set it to '0', good question, I have no idea. Maybe I was thinking it would prevent P3D to load too much when still in the scenario screen. I have to try '1'

Regards,

Maybe it's otherwise indeed - since you have "0" you don't suffer from excessive VAS usage at EGLL. I have "1" and I have VAS issues at EGLL with T7, so perhaps I would try "0" instead later tonight or tomorrow

Just did a flight with the PMDG 772 from UK2000 Heathrow to Aerosoft Mega Madrid, and landed with just under 1GB of VAS remaining; not bad for such a notoriously memory-hungry airliner. That was with 25% MyTraffic v6.

No tricks, I just use only FTX Global with OpenLC EU, and ***NO vector product***; if I had FTX Vector or UTX2 I would have almost certainly OOMed if my past experience is anything to go by. I do not really lament the lack of 3rd party vector as I fly 100% airliners.

LOD radius I leave at High, with Scenery complexity at Dense and both Autogens at Normal.

My advice for OOMers is try disabling all your FTX Vector/ UTX scenery layers to see if that makes a difference, it certainly does for me.

Maybe it's otherwise indeed - since you have "0" you don't suffer from excessive VAS usage at EGLL. I have "1" and I have VAS issues at EGLL with T7, so perhaps I would try "0" instead later tonight or tomorrow

Thanks Gerrit and YMML1

When I load up P3D this weekend check this out.

My advice for OOMers is try disabling all your FTX Vector/ UTX scenery layers to see if that makes a difference, it certainly does for me.

Short of uninstalling FTX Vector entirely, I have always disabled excess scenery layers.. The cumulative effect of all of the suggestions I have gathered so far may just return my p3d to its former self.

Short of uninstalling FTX Vector entirely, I have always disabled excess scenery layers.. The cumulative effect of all of the suggestions I have gathered so far may just return my p3d to its former self.
Depends upon what you call excess Erich. It is generally accepted that disabling all add-on airports except those of the arr/dest is a wise move. Obviously you don't need to uninstall Vector completely to test, just disable all the FTX Vector layers including the one near the bottom (you will need to edit the scenery config for that particular one as it's set to Required=True). Give it a try, if you find it beneficial leave it like that, otherwise do as you see fit. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

Depends upon what you call excess Erich. It is generally accepted that disabling all add-on airports except those of the arr/dest is a wise move. Obviously you don't need to uninstall Vector completely to test, just disable all the FTX Vector layers including the one near the bottom (you will need to edit the scenery config for that particular one as it's set to Required=True). Give it a try, if you find it beneficial leave it like that, otherwise do as you see fit. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

Agree.  Thanks Dave

Try with LOD at 4.5 and start from there.

I was about to say the same thing. When i went through the manual PMDG stated to keep LOD at 4.5, i fallow what they suggested i was OOM free. I started balancing everything out to see if i would still get OOM. For example i would set LOD at 6.5 but i would use texture at 1024. I completed a 6 hour flight no OOM. I still don't trust those setting, but i didn't get no OOM at all. What i discover two things that causes OOM for me is LOD & Texture resolution , 4096 or even 2048 depending on the LOD.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)