Sign in to follow this  
RocketDuck

V3 Night brightness

Is it just me or are the nights way brighter in V3 than any other sim? Even FSX seem to have darker nights.

And if so, do anyone have a fix/hack? It's kind of ruining V3 for me.

Guest tymk

Hi,

In the [GRAPHICS] section of "Prepar3d.cfg", there are two new entries:

TONEMAP_DAY_EXPOSURE_KEY=0.280000
TONEMAP_NIGHT_EXPOSURE_KEY=0.130000

You can experiment with these, I'm currently using 0.29 and 0.1. It takes some careful balance as setting the night value too low may make your cockpit lighting too dim.

Tym

So it wasn't just me :wink:

Thanks, I'll give it a try later and see if I can get the dark nights back.

If you have HDR on you can also try turning it off, or using the sliders to adjust the colour and tone specifically for night time - just remember to save the display settings before you do so  - call it `Day`, then when you have a setting you are comfortable with, save that as `Night` and then you can quickly switch between the two.

Hi,

In the [GRAPHICS] section of "Prepar3d.cfg", there are two new entries:

TONEMAP_DAY_EXPOSURE_KEY=0.280000

TONEMAP_NIGHT_EXPOSURE_KEY=0.130000

You can experiment with these, I'm currently using 0.29 and 0.1. It takes some careful balance as setting the night value too low may make your cockpit lighting too dim.

Tym

Does HDR have to be enabled for this to work? I find nights seem to look much better with HDR off. It seems to dim the ground light textures too much.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Why don't you manually adjust the HDR settings in game? Lockheed Martin has included that feature in v3. Just create one profile for day flying and one for night.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Guest tymk

Does HDR have to be enabled for this to work? I find nights seem to look much better with HDR off. It seems to dim the ground light textures too much.

I haven't really tested this with HDR off, I'm not at my FS machine at the moment, but I suspect this may be a HDR-only setting.

Why don't you manually adjust the HDR settings in game? Lockheed Martin has included that feature in v3. Just create one profile for day flying and one for night.

Well, if you can use these CFG values to get the desired results without having to switch profiles while in flight (especially at dawn or dusk), why not take advantage of that? :wink:

Regards,

Tym

Know I'm kind of digging up this thread, but I was wondering if there was any way to adjust the brightness of dawn or dusk specifically? I'm at a point where I'm happy with my night and day settings via tonemap, but my dawns are way, way too bright, with incredibly bright stars and cockpit displays. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this?

Hi Derek

One thing you could try is using REX 4. It has a number of different dawn and dusk textures which all have quite a big difference on the brightness levels within the sim. It is payware but well worth it in my opinion. It is possible that there are freeware dawn and dusk textures on various sites too but I have no knowledge of those. That would allow you to keep your day and night settings the way they are while specifically altering the dawn/dusk ones.

I forget the names of the REX4 textures I am using at the moment but they are quite dark looking on my rig. If you're interested I'll find out the names and let you know.

Cheers

Stu

Stuart Furley

To adjust my dawns and dusks I use my monitor settings.  I have a button on each one (have 3 in a wrap-around fashion), that can store different RGB, brightness/contrast, settings so I have one for dawn, for dusk and a darker, blacker night I can switch to.  I don't think I could do this from inside the sim itself.

Just an idea.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Lol I think its funny many people complained how dark it was in FSX at night and now the opposite in P3D.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I use Gamma Panel which is a utility that runs in the tray. It can store different brightness/contrast/etc settings independent of monitor type. I use one for different times of the day in the sim. There are others as well.

For me it's the other way around. I think I found good settings for day and night (very dark, as I think it's realistic) by lowering the "night" .CFG setting and tuning things with PTA. But at dawn it's extremely dark, I mean, the Sun is up in the horizon yet, the full disk of the Sun may be seen, but the sky is totally black, except for the area surrounding the Sun, but a quite narrow area indeed! I use REX 4 and I'll try to use another dawn texture set, but I doubt it will help.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto