Sign in to follow this  
Morrigan

Scenery addon combos?

Hello!

So I have seen all those amazing screenshots from people X-Plane's and I'm dumbfounded. 

No matter what I do, I can't even get close to the results presented on many screenshots. Even with addons, my terrain is still pretty low quality and resembles one from the FSX.

So here is my question:

What scenery/textures addon combo do you guys use? Anything special for the Scandinavian region?

Thanks!

Hi,

I think Scandinavian region is Norway / Sweden correct ?

For starters  get UHD or the HD Mesh from alpilotx.net. And then you can use w2XP osm based data. This should get you going with the scenery.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Norway is now covered with the UHD mesh, so it has a very detailed mesh.

In terms of autogen/OSM scenery, Norway/Sweden are pretty empty unfortunately (Except major cities). I'd recommend at least installing the European Library from Simheaven to have less US style buildings there.

Personally, I use Ortho4XP generated scenery (There is a nice GUI being developed, so it's worth waiting if you're not happy on the command-line), and World2XPlane scenery (which works very nicely with photoscenery). 

I did download some of the Norway's tiles of HD mesh scenery v3 from alpilotx.net and their "Farms and treelines", but the terrain (combination of fields in different colours) is still rather blurry and low quality.

I did everything as they said, and checked by using their verification method if the scenery is loaded (it is), so I just thought I have to be missing something, becuase it really doesn't look even half as good as on majority of screenshots. 

Do you mean the textures ? then you are limited in that area.

Can you provide some screenshots Morrigan? And also a screenshot of your rendering settings. (SHIFT + SPACE should be the default key combo for screenshots, they're placed in the "Output" x-plane subfolder)

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

Yes, I figured the screenshots would be useful, but I literally just figured out to post here and I am already on the aiport flying home (wheee!), so I shall post some today's evening. 

@HumptyDumpty

I mean textures of the terrain that you download chunk by chunk by clicking on the map squares they provided on the site. I tried it obviously in the zone I did have textures downloaded. 

Hmm  you mean from alpilotx.net ? They are not textures but a mesh. I think alpilotx is using the default Xplane 10 textures in the mesh.

BTW hope you have HDR ON .

and yes a screenshot of what you are asking about would be helpful when you get back @home.

Actually, I think we're getting to the bottom of it. 

I just use the alpilotx.net's mesh, so maybe that's the reason why it doesn't look up to date. But yes, HDR is on. 

Hence, I asked about all the common scenery addon combos, so I can just check what I am missing :)

Cheers!

That Mesh is basically elevation stuff and all, but not the textures.Textures are any way crappy which is with all simulators.

That's correct, the HD and UHD mesh still use the default XP10 textures. They just have more detail, e.g. Coastlines, mountains, etc.

Maybe the screenshots you are seeing are orthophotos with matching objects from OSM2XP or World2XPlane? (Although I know that the quality of such objects and Google/Bing imagery is pretty poor in Norway, I know people are working on using better quality textures from other sources)

An example of orthophotos and W2XP is shown here (and it's all available for free on various sites), but quality will vary (Europe is pretty good, and the below is the UK using GB Pro)

image.jpg

Well, I think I understand what you mean.

I just wrote a comparison between the Terrain in P3D 2.5 and X-Plane 10 (Ignore the language,, english is not my native language.  http://www.simflight.de/2015/09/19/vergleich-p3d-v2-5-und-x-plane-10-40-terrain-darstellung/ )

In X-Plane I used  the UHD or at least HD Meshes, while in P3D OrbX FTX Regionsd and even Airports were used.

On even terrain the FSX/P3D technique has advantages, but if we enter hills and mountains our meshes work much better. Just take a look how Mount Rainier looks, compared to the UHD version.

FSX and P3D use  small pictures, that look pretty decent and most of all, they look pretty decent without any additional buildings.

In X-Plane basic terrain textures  but it works only as a foundation, it needs additional objects on top to look believable.

On the flight from KSNA to KPSP it gets more difficult for P3D since it has to start only with Orbx global base behind it, tillk it reaches the borders of the KPSP scenery. On X-Plane by difference we have a foundation by one of the old photo-textures, which would look pretty decent if we would fly a bit higher..

I think a lot of the swceneries that you look at use Photosceneries, which can only cover a rather small area. I think we all would hope for better terrain textures, but it isn't easy.

I am not sure, Tony, am I wrong or did your UK Pro improve the texture selection in the UK?..

Okay, so I  am finally home and its time to update with screenshots.

Please note that I am taking off from ENGM which is Oslo, Gardermoen, the main airport for the capital city of Norway.

The airport itself and nearby fields. Please note the random motorways in the middle of the airport too. Also, my settings.

BlOhmA9.png

wjdn1Uf.png

rFRVHLr.png

Ok, first of all, does it has a special reason why you use ENGM without any buildings, while Tom Curtis offer a quite good, although a bit outdated version ( http://forums.xplanefreeware.net/topic/10960-engm-10-oslo-norway/ )?

And I guess you are also registered at x-plane.org as a forum user to have access to their resources?

Then use the Europe Library from simheaven as well as the w2xp-Europe buildings as well as the necessary Libraries.

That's correct, the HD and UHD mesh still use the default XP10 textures. They just have more detail, e.g. Coastlines, mountains, etc.

Maybe the screenshots you are seeing are orthophotos with matching objects from OSM2XP or World2XPlane? (Although I know that the quality of such objects and Google/Bing imagery is pretty poor in Norway, I know people are working on using better quality textures from other sources)

An example of orthophotos and W2XP is shown here (and it's all available for free on various sites), but quality will vary (Europe is pretty good, and the below is the UK using GB Pro)

image.jpg

Do you get stutters when your cpu usage goes 0.040 or above?