Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Oncoming traffic on taxiways. Where's the fault?

In FS9 and FSX, I quite often have AI traffic coming straight at me along a taxiway, even when (like just now), I am at a relatively large aiprort (CYYZ tonight) and there is a parallel taxiway available. On arrival today in Toronto, both PFE + TGS (PFE's taxi guidance system) (which I use for ATC) and AES' 'Follow-Me' car concurred that I should be following a particular taxiway to my gate (B20), but in two minutes, I was met head on by four different a/c coming towards the runway.

Why were they, or I, not using the parallel runway? Since both PFE and AES took me the same way, is the fault with the CYYZ scenery (this, FS9 one in this instance: http://fsdownload.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=179) Is the problem in the AFCAD??

How do I fix things so that outgoing and incoming aircraft use different taxiways, where they are available of course?

Thanks,

Martin

Ai traffic is coming and going, via taxi routing and active runways, that are determined according to FS ATC. Another ATC program might not be assigning the same runway or taxiways. FS ATC determines the correct runways according to the weather and a fair amount of other circumstances. I would check to see where FS ATC is sending traffic, and where it sends you. FS ATC and Ai traffic have problems with runways that do not have entrance/exit at least at each end.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

The FS ATC system is not so sophisticated that it assigns taxiways as one-way streets. Addons like PFE simply uses the FS ATC computed taxi route.

Peter Schluter

The only problems I've seen is with only one way on/off a runway. Not sure how it would work that other ATC addons simply uses the FS ATC computed taxi route, since FS ATC would have to have been contacted and the flight assigned, with taxi clearance to produce the taxi route result.

How about FSX ATC assigns runway 25R and as I am taking off down the runway, I can see another aircraft lined up on 7L headon. That's why I have collision turned off.

That's not right, maybe something's amiss with your ATC/Weather.

The FS ATC system is not so sophisticated that it assigns taxiways as one-way streets.

Well,in that case I guess those times when oncoming AI traffic has been on a parallel runway, and I assumed clever programming somewhere, were just luck of the draw. At least I can use my FSUIPC to 'zap' a/c that come too close!

M.

FSX ATC is not always very smart nor does it plan well for the very near future.  When the wind shifts direction, ATC will immediately send airplanes to the opposite runway, even if you are already in position for takeoff.  This can also happen when there is little to no wind and either end of the runway is usable.  ATC will also assign taxiways that result in head-on meets, even if there are parallel taxiways.  FSX ATC is simply not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Well, I use 3rd. party ATC (PFE) and it is a whole lot more satisfying than the MS version, but it obviously has limitations and cannot supplant the FS ATC fully.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Could be good. Personally though, although I posted the issue on the FSX forum (as it effects FSX too), I fly FS9 more. I tend to use FSX for flying specific sceneries, like Aerosoft's Antarctica and FS9 for commercial flights.

Pity this won't work then for FS9, though I wonder how it would sit with 3rd. party ATC software.

Thanks anyway for the link - I may have a look at it in FSX anyway (where I don't use PFE).

My experience (at UK and Ireland airports) is that P3D ATC (which is effectively the same as FSX ATC) does a rather good job of avoiding "head on encounters". What generally happens on my PC is that aircraft are told to "hold position" due to oncoming traffic, or they are allocated alternative routes. It's worth noting that I do not use default airports, so it's possible that this organised behaviour is due to carefully designed AFD files. However, I am not convinced that this is the case. I have a fair amount of experience with AFD files and AI taxi paths, and it looks to me like the default ATC system is aware of my position, and providing instructions to AI planes accordingly.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Good post Chris.