Sign in to follow this  

Two America West pilots arrested for being drunk

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Unbelievable. Some just never know how lucky they are to have the kind of job that they do. How stupid can you be to drink like that before piloting a commercial aircraft. Both of those guys are just complete morons.

Whats the old rule? "12 hours Bottle to Throttle"?I recall a couple of idiots from Northwest had thesame problem a few years ago.Eric

I am not sure of the forum rules, but to copy and paste the article may violate AVSIM policyb. You can however, post the a link.(:( User shall not upload, post or otherwise make available on the System any material protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner of the copyright, trademark or other proprietary right and the burden ofdetermining that any material is not protected by copyright rests with User. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,56750,00.htmlBrent H/PFFWIW, I am glad to see that the screeners were observant. It's too bad it took the police so long to stop them. Why didn't airport security stop them on the spot?

Sad to see bad judgment will now cost these two clowns not only there careers possibly some time in jail as well. So "Dumb & Dumber" were those drinks on South Beach worth it. On a positive side now two of your fellow comrades who were furloughed because of 9/11 can be brought back on-line so in the end there can be a happy ending to this story.John

While I'm definitely against drinking on the job (or for that matter before the job...), I think that we should refrain from being so quick at throwing stones on those two guys.The investigation has barely commenced, and I don't know how accurate those breath tests are.Let's not be guilty of judging others on the basis of a short article in a newspaper.There's a lot of crap in the media that are always thirsty for blood, scoops and scapegoats...Just my 2 cents...Twister

Josh, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you just weren't aware to not copy and past a press article from somewhere else. Please in the future, make sure you just post a link directing people to the website with the article. That way everyone is happy concerning any copyright policies.

First off, to agree with one poster above, some of these jerks really dont know how great of a job they have. What nerve. Secondly, risking the lives of the people on board that aircraft is ludicrous and those gentlemen should spend some time in jail or prison. Lastly, to state some simple rules from the FAR's, its 8 hours between bottle and throttle, and it doesnt matter what Florida laws are, the FAA says if you test above .08, youre too intoxicated to operate an aircraft of any kind. If they were infact "drunk", I hope the FAA makes sure they never fly again. This isnt the time for some moronic pilots to scare away what little business the airlines can muster.Craig

Twister,>While I'm definitely against drinking on the job (or for that >matter before the job...), I think that we should refrain from >being so quick at throwing stones on those two guys.>The investigation has barely commenced, and I don't know how >accurate those breath tests are.Let me assure you, those breath tests are very accurate. When a person is given a breath test, they are sat down and observed for 20 minutes prior to taking the test. During this time, they cannot burp, throw up or use the restroom. Secondly if they have anything in there mouth including dentures, it is removed. No food or drink is allowed during this time as well. This is done so that the person being tested will give the most accurate breath sample possible. The person giving the sample has to give two breaths and they have to be within a certain parameter or both are thrown out as invalid by the machine. It is a very accurate test.

Thank you copyright police officer Brent.Now returning to discussion of said article...

Everyone of you have went to work with a hangover, that's all these guys did. I'm sure they followed the 8 hour bottle to throttle regulation, it's pretty sad.

You are quite welcome Eric.Just trying to keep AVSIM from being shut down by the Associated Press.Brent

10:30 in the morning??? JEEESH!Sounds to me like these guys were trying to aleviate the boredom of the same old milk run, day in and day out.Unfortunately, putting their passengers and crew at great risk.They should be terminated with their licenses revoked.Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought I heard an AA 757 went into a mountain in Coloumbia some years ago with the pilot intoxicated.Astro

Im sure everybody appreciates your efforts Brent.Eric

It's 8 hours between bottle and throttle, but needs to be adjusted by the bottle size and quantity of bottles consumed. That 8 hours is bases upon 1 beer or 1 8oz. mixed drink, not 12!Don

Actually, I can say I never have gone to work drunk or hungover. I did go to school (college/grad school) with a hangover on a couple occasions. Also, it doesn't matter how long it is between drinking and flying. The FAA rules that supersede the 8 hour from bottle to throttle are the ones stating no pilot shall perform the duties of a required flight crewmember nor may they have a blood alcohol content of 0.04 or above.They teach you that kind of stuff for your PPL. Hard to believe an ATP would have forgotten. These morons knew what was up and knew that what they were doing was wrong. I'm glad they were caught before a tragedy resulted. And as someone mentioned, it looks like 2 more slots have opened for those furloughed pilots.

I hope your surgeon doesn't have a "hangover". Would you be so lax to accept that? There is a difference in responsability between an airline pilot and a factory worker or desk jockey. These guys (and gals) are paid good money to have and hold that position and not make stupid moves. They are given off enough time to "celebrate" when they need to, NOT the night before a flight. I hope they bust them to hell for this. There are too many GOOD, RESPECTABLE, RESPONSIBLE pilots out there to fill those seats. Would you want your wife, kid or mother on that flight? My wish: May they WALK everywhere they need to go to for life. By the way. I AM a pilot.Don

TwisterIf its so accurate why do they have blood tests after a breath test?I am not a drinker, maybe one glass of wine with a meal if I go out but maybe these guys were social drinkers and believed that they had no alcohol in their blood the following morning when they turned up for duty.Is someone guilty if they didnt know they were doing wroung? I dont want to side with these guys but just feel that we shouldnt judge until they have been proved guilty.Maybe the FAA should rule that pilots arent allowed to drink 24 hrs before a flight or are only allowed to consume 2 units the night before a flight.Often the regulations themselves cause problems and confusion.8 hrs bottle to throttle may be okay for a meal with a couple of small glasses of red wine but not so if someone goes on a drinks binge.Two pilots crashed and were killed in a Cessna 150. Both were found to have quite high levels of drugs (pot) in their systems which was traced to having been smoked at a party 48 hrs prior to the crash.I am sure both Pilots were sure that the drugs had long gone out of their systems.Finally yes they should be payed (innocent until proved guilty)Peter (non drinker )

I don't care how accurate they are or aren't. One indisputable fact is that they can't register alcohol where none exists. The fact that they registered on a breathalizer at all indicates that they had been drinking, which is inexcusable. And alcohol does not remain in the body for extended times as with some drugs. It is metabolized rather quickly, as anyone whose had a few beers and can't find a restroom can attest. Also, the reason they were caught was that security personel smelled alcohol on their breath, which indicates they had been drinking farely recently. I wonder how many people would be willing to give these two bozos the benefit of the doubt if they were piloting a plane they were riding in.Mike Stone

Well, they also failed the simple roadside type tests....

Also, standard roadside tests were perfomred at the airport, which they both failed. They were then taken to jail, and agreed to take the breath tests.

MikeYou dont believe "everything" you read in the press do you? ;-)Is it "fact" that Alcohol was smelt on the pilots breath or was that an imaginative reporter?Both pilots had exemplorary records with the airlineWhile I imagine one pilot with life problems who is also a secret alcoholic hitting the bottle for breakfast first thing in the morning I find it hard to believe that both Pilots decided to hit the bottle first thing in the morning.Okay, maybe they did and maybe there really are fairies but im afraid I take press reports as being half truths with a good dose of fabrication and an even larger dose of imagination.It is more likely that they both went out the night before and consumed a large amount of alcohol which "Can" still have the consumers over the limit the next morning.I am not protecting or advocating what these guys appear to have done only pointing out that (a)someone is innocent until proved guilty.(b)Dont take what the press say as fact because it rarely isPeter

Ok, Ok, you win....two planes did not really collide over Germany as the press reported.I'm gone.Mike Stone