Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Very High Vertical Speed When Using VNAV

Guest D17S

Jon, Hey, at least he's interested. This is pretty dry, dull and boring stuff to most. Any interest needs to be encouraged. An ad hominem response doesn

>that on average, we customers are a lay group. But he

Guest D17S

Now now, in the words of Allen Greenspan that was just, "Exuberance" (may not have got that quote quite right??!) But didn't we all 'know it all' at one point? I know I sure did. But the more I learned, the more I realized how much I didn't know. Funny how that works.

>Two general comments :>>(a) There seems to be a "belief" that climb at this or that>rate is correct...>>I did not say that climb at this or that was correct. I know>as much about the performance of the 747 as anybody at PMDG. I>posted it because it was exceeding those performances. I>happen to know that the real 747 is a very stable aircraft to>fly. >>Ken. Really? Certainly you have never flown a real 747 because you would have never stated thisIt should climb from 1500fpm to 2500fpm, an average of about 2000fpm. Which by the way contradicts this new post. So what are you trying to say exactly? Maybe you should step back for a minute and wonder how you can hold an argument with a real 747 pilot and not feel a little embarrassed about your simming knowledge and how this puts you on par with those in the know.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Really? Certainly you have never flown a real 747 because you would have never stated thisIt should climb from 1500fpm to 2500fpm, an average of about 2000fpm.Which by the way contradicts this new post. So what are you trying to say exactly? Maybe you should step back for a minute and wonder how you can hold an argument with a real 747 pilot and not feel a little embarrassed about your simming knowledge and how this puts you on par with those in the know.No, it dose not contradict the new post. I stated that it should climb from 1500 fpm to 25000 fpm, not that the rate of climb is correct. I know this veries because of weight, thrust, airspeed, angle of attact, and temperature. I also know that VNAV targets the speed and not rate of climb. You say I am arguing with real world 747 pilots who know. No, I am not. How do you come to the conclusion that I'm arguing with real world 747 pilots when I got the information from the real world 747-400 in the video? I also have the same charts that were posted. If I remember correctly, these performances are at maximum thrust and 290 knots with angles of attact of 14 degrees. In the Virgin Atlantic video, the 747 was flying at and over 300 knots in VNAV SPD, and not one time did the vertical speed exceeded 2500 fpm. The rate of climb averaged around 2,000 fpm during the entire climb to 33,000 feet, in VNAV SPD. This is the only information I was going on and this information is from the real world 747-400. So, based on this video, what I've been saying is correct, but at the weight, temperature, with 48 degrees and CLB 1 selected in the Thrust Limit page of the FMC. I'm sure most 747-400s have basically the same flight characteristics. When I say that something is this or that, I got the information from a real world source. Ken.

Guest D17S

By the chart, for a Vnav spd climb, 2000-2500 fpm ROC looks about right. Sounds to me that's right on the money. 14 degrees of deck angle is a big bite though. For a high climb. 4 sounds better.Now, what was his thrust limit? Did he capture in in Vnav ALT or VNAV PATH. Did he climb again, How? Why would you choose VNAV SPD over FLCH for an inroute step climb . . . or vice a versa? Where would you keep your EICAS thrust limit? Why? Inquiring minds want to know.

>real world 747 pilots when I got the information from the real>world 747-400 in the video? I also have the same charts that>were posted. I have the same video, watched it many times and came to different conclusions. Perhaps you don't understand what you are watching. From your other comments looks like you have a very superficial knowledge of aviation anyway, unfortunately.Michael J.

>I have the same video, watched it many times and came to different >conclusions. Perhaps you don't understand what you are watching. >From your other comments looks like you have a very superficial >knowledge of aviation anyway, unfortunately.Yes I do understand thourghly what I'm watching. You must be the one that does not understand. I understand everything that is taking place in the video. I watched everything that Allen did and I know exactly everything that he is doing. Don't tell me that I don't understand or know what I'm watching. You seem to be one that thinks you know it all. So stop trying to prove me wrong. You haven't proved me wrong yet. I am very knowledgable in aviation and aircrafts. I've taking many courses in aviation and aircrafts. I've flown planes in the past but not 747s. Are you knowledgeble enough to understand the lift coefficient of a wing on an aircraft? I am. So don't stand there and tell me that I have a superficial knowledge in aviation. Ken.

Do you want a cookie?I don't care how many times you've watched a video, if you've taken any classes, flown different planes, and think you are "very knowledgable in aviation and aircraft", I'm going to take a real B747 pilot's word over yours. He does it every day for a living, you don't.

>Do you want a cookie?>I don't care how many times you've watched a video, if you've taken >any classes, flown different planes, and think you are "very >knowledgable in aviation and aircraft", I'm going to take a real >B747 pilot's word over yours. He does it every day for a living, >you don't.Then you're saying that Allen Carter is not a real 747 pilot? It's not my words. Yes, I would take a real 747 pilot's word over my self too. I did not say that I fly a 747 for a living. Some of you need to get with it Ken.

I never said he wasn't a real pilot, as a matter of fact, I don't remember saying anything about him. I'm not sure why you said that. It has nothing to do with him, just how you interpreted the video.You just said yourself that you would take a real 747 pilot's word over your own words. That being said, why do you think that you know as much about the 747 as PMDG does? Do you not believe they have real 747 pilots on the beta team?Also, what do I need to get with? I never said you said you were a 747 pilot? Yet again, I'm not sure why you said that. I think you are a little confused about my post. You might want to step away from the keyboard for a bit. Take a deep breath, read a book, go for a walk, something.

I believe that just because one watches a 747 video and observes everything that goes on therein, one cannot presume to know exactly what is going on, as Ken points out. Videos are routinely edited. I have the same video, and in it, for example, we never hear nor see any of the pilots bringing flaps 20 down for T/O. It's mentioned, but not observed.

>I never said he wasn't a real pilot, as a matter of fact, I don't remember saying anything about him. I'm not sure why you said that. It has nothing to do with him, just how you interpreted the video.I may have been confused about your post. I said that because you said yourself that you would take a real B747 pilots word over mines. I never said that I wanted anyone to take my words over the real B747 pilots. But what I've been stating came from a real B747-400 pilot. So, I didn't understand why you made that statement. >It has nothing to do with him, just how you interpreted the video.What's wrong in how I'm interpreting the video? The information I've learned in the video is correct. > why do you think that you know as much about the 747 as PMDG does? Do you not believe they have real 747 pilots on the beta team?Ah, I think I see what's going on here just because I made that statement. Yes, I guess they do have real 747 pilots on the team but I don't know for sure. All I do know is that when my PMDG 747-400 performs much differently than the real 747-400 in the video, at the same weight, thrust limit, fuel weight, passengers, freight, temperature and pressure, I want to know why. Another thing I like to know is that why is the trim set to 7.6 units in the video and 6 units in the PMDG 747-400 using the same flight performances? I've never known it to go above 6 units in the PMDG. Why is there a difference here? Apparently, either there are really some differences in the 747-400 fleet, they have made modifications since 2000, or this was simply not modeled in the PMDG. And the sounds are totally different too. It's things like these that makes one wonder, and there's nothing wrong in questioning about it. Sorry if I confused your post.Ken.

>I believe that just because one watches a 747 video and>observes everything that goes on therein, one cannot presume>to know exactly what is going on, as Ken points out. Videos>are routinely edited. I have the same video, and in it, for>example, we never hear nor see any of the pilots bringing>flaps 20 down for T/O. It's mentioned, but not observed.Allen did a good job explaining what was going on, why the airplane does what it does, and why he does certain things. Yes, it's edited. Ken.