Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

Request for feedback - writing a systems tutorial.

Folks,I'm in the preliminary stages of writing up a VERY detailed flight tutorial that will hopefully provide a good way for new users to get comfy in the day-to-day use of the aircraft. I'm doing this to provide a step up for users who have mastered the very basics already using existing resources.The idea is that it will be a sort of mix of the forum knowledge and an actual flight. I hope to get some of the 'older/wiser heads' on the forum involved too, I will be in touch with those people soon.-----------------------So far I've settled on a few things.- It will be a return sector over the Atlantic. Exact route to be determined. One Manual landing, one autoland, a hold somewhere, maybe a go around?- It will be run under RC4 ATC with AI traffic. (both on order!)- It will be done from a VC perspective, most (all?) tutorials so far have been 2d.- It will feature a full pre-flight planning and procedural analysis- It will reference the 744F update so that all new systems are covered.-----------------------SO...What would people want to see featured besides the above? What format should it be in?EDIT: Flight criteria revised (no longer a short haul but a trans-atlantic flight)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I would love to see this tutorial, and am willing to test it out and give feedback if you want to. My preference would be .pdf format. What would be very useful is a good checklist for all phases of flight, I still haven't found the perfect one. I made one myself, but am unsure if it's adequate. So let me hear it if you need any help.Regards,Arjen Nederstigt

Arjen Nederstigt

System:

Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme / Kingston 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL15

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 

Great idea Mark. The manual landing is probably the best feature especially using the throttles to control the descent. Also the more screenshots the better, Joe

Hi Markgreat to see someone taking the time to do a detailed tutorial. I think concentrating on the pre flight planning stage would be great, then maybe illustrating a derated takeoff using assumed temp and showing how you did the calculations. Judging by the posts on the forums entering a route and setting up the FMC pre flight is also an area some have trouble on. Good Luck

Guest stevesj

Hi MarkThere is a definate need for such a thing, you only need to look at the number of tutorial downloads on avsim !!Just a suggestion, if it was in html it would be possible to follow the tutorial via the kneebaord instead of having to keep minimising the sim window to read the next bit. Which to me always seems a pain when trying to follow any instructions.best regardsSteve

>Hi Mark>>There is a definate need for such a thing, you only need to>look at the number of tutorial downloads on avsim !!>>Just a suggestion, if it was in html it would be possible to>follow the tutorial via the kneebaord instead of having to>keep minimising the sim window to read the next bit. Which to>me always seems a pain when trying to follow any>instructions.Good idea i never thought of that would be great to have that in the kneeboard. But doesnt PMDG have its checklists in the kneeboard already? i wonder if there is a way to overwrite this

It shouldn't be too hard to replace the contents of the kneeboard, so yeah that's a good idea.Please keep the suggestions re: content coming in, much appreciated.As for checklists to follow, the most reknowned (thanks to ITVV) would be the Virgin Atlantic sets. Perhaps Jon/PMDG can comment on whether such a use of VS property would be acceptable?

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Hi Mark,Very much interested in your detailed Tutorial.Just posting this short message in order to be able to subscribe to this topic to receive email notification when a new message is submittedWill give you sugestions further ahead I'm just compiling some to present here later.RegardsALG

Guest cliffie1931

What a splendid idea Marc.Bearing in mind who you are aiming at may I suggest that you include the link to FSNavigator and a simple step by step explanation of how to build and export your Flight Plan using FSNav?With that ready made Flight Plan it makes it easier to learn how to operate the FMC rather than having the additional burden of learning how to programme it for each way point.Or perhaps use one of the prepared PMDG Flight Plans for that purpose.Cliff

Good idea Cliff,I dont have FSnav but was considering using FS build to do a flight plan explanation. Having said that if you (or anyone insterested) can write a guide to using FSnav I'll consider including it.Although I'll include these kinds of steps in the tutorial I'm trying to avoid the use of additional add-ons where possible. Ideally someone with only FS and the 744 can follow it without missing any of the fun.

Mark Adeane - NZWN