Sign in to follow this  
Guest howard500

any real 747 pilots out there?

Guest howard500

Hi,I have searched this question but could not find any matches. I am just wondering if we have any real 747 pilots in the PMDG community. If so would you mind sharing your opinions, views, critics, praises on the PMDG product? Im a loyal PMDG costumer and enjoy flying the 747 very, very much. I KNOW that the airliner simulation platforms provided by PMDG and LDS are the absolute best in this simulation world of ours but I would love to hear the honest evaluation/comments/opinions of those who fly the grand lady for real!Regards and many thanks,Alonso

Guest airspace

Hi, yes there are currently at least two real world 747 pilots that visit the forum: Jon (jon :( and Steve (cowpatz), there is also Jan (Janov) but don't think he's been here for some time, so if you can search for their posts they are always very informative and interesting to read.Darren

Hi Alonso,I fly GE and RR powered 747's. The PMDG product is the best 747 simulator out there and is a real credit to the developers. In the main the reproduction is very accurate although there are a few minor things that I would like to see sorted out via a patch. These are mainly confined to the FMC and you can search for my posts on them on this forum.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

>Hi Alonso,>I fly GE and RR powered 747's. The PMDG product is the best>747 simulator out there and is a real credit to the>developers. In the main the reproduction is very accurate>although there are a few minor things that I would like to see>sorted out via a patch. These are mainly confined to the FMC>and you can search for my posts on them on this forum.>Cheers>SteveHi Steve,I think I know what you're referring to. It seems like I recall that they're the limitations of flight simulator? I do have one question about the FMC in the PMDG product. If I put in an assumed temperature at LSK 1L on the Thrust Limit page, is the derate accurately modeled? I use this quite a bit but I don't know if the derate is accurate or not because I have no charts on that one. If it's not, I'm sure the problem is the limitaion in flight simulator. I'm hoping that PMDG will put out a performance chart so that we can enter the correct assumed temperatures into the FMC. I know on the real 747, they have a performance chart that gives this information to the crew and is entered into the FMC. Ken.

Ken from my observations this appears to be accurately modelled. Generally speaking an airline's performance engineers will produce TO charts for each runway at each airfield that the airline operates to. Alongside each assumed temperature will be a maximum TOW specified. All a crew have to do is check the final TOW against the chart to extract the assumed temperature to be entered into the FMC. Very simple.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

>assumed temperatures into the FMC. I know on the real 747,>they have a performance chart that gives this information to>the crew and is entered into the FMC. If you search real deep on this or the old PMDG forum you should find those airport-specific derate charts provided by Jon B. for some typical major runways his airline operates from/to.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

>If you search real deep on this or the old PMDG forum you>should find those airport-specific derate charts provided by>Jon B. for some typical major runways his airline operates>from/to.>>Michael J.Thanks Michael. I'll see if I can find it. So far, I haven't been able to find one.Ken.

Guest howard500

Well thanks for that Steve, its always great to hear things like that from people who can actually relate to the real thing by experience. Im going to flight school next year, as soon as im done with uni, so I hope that a decade of flight simming from Cubs to 747's helps through actual training! I hope some day I will get the chance to fly the Queen for real.Regards, Alonso

Guest capntom

Hi:Been a Captain on the 747-400F since 1999 for Atlas Air. In our operations we do not use assumed temperature, but stick with the standard derates. There are ups and downs to this, but it simplifies life in sone ways. Back when I flew various 737's, we did use assumed temperature.Cheers: Tom

>In>our operations we do not use assumed temperature, but stick>with the standard derates.Understood Tom. But still you must have had some look up tables that would tell you what your balanced field was given the derate, outside temperature, wind and weight. Am I right?Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Thanks Michael,every little bit counts... the wiki's real power is its userbase... the more we contribute, the more it becomes helpful.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg