Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG-GoFlight MCP Pro Interface Released!

Jonathan,I haven't been here for a while. After I read yours posts. I went and checked my MCP Pro. It is indeed A18.Now, I am confused about what they fixed in your unit. Should I send my unit too? Its already A18. But I still have the flicker and pause issue.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Dear Manny:I really do not have a good answer for you. I returned my unit because GoFlight suggested that if I have flicker, freeze, blanking, latency, etc., maybe I have old firmware. I was unable to ever get any display of the firmware on the unit I returned to them.I wonder if your flickering is because of a USB power issue (possible) or whether you have a defective unit altogether. I think A18 is the latest firmware.I just don't know how all this stuff fits together and works. It seems to me that the MCP PRO works well or very well (best of all) with default FS2004 aircraft and somewhat less well with the custom built add-ons. But that's just my experience.Wish I had a better answer for you. It might be worth emailing GoFlight or phoning them, and talking with John Krieg. Or email John at his email address on the GoFlight website.Cheers for now,JS

Guest bebob

>Jonathan,>>I haven't been here for a while. After I read yours posts. I>went and checked my MCP Pro. It is indeed A18.>>Now, I am confused about what they fixed in your unit. Should>I send my unit too? Its already A18. But I still have the>flicker and pause issue.>>MannyHi Manny.You need to send yours too. Its both a software and hardware update.They will replace a component in your MCP PRO and make sure the firmware is up to date .So write John Krieg and ask him for a RMA number, then send your unit to GF.Bebob.

Have now done limited testing with my newly replaced MCP PRO (firmware A18) and the Level-D 767. All works normally. Earlier today I flew Milton Shupe's newly released VC for the Dash 7 and it went beautifully except for the occasional lag in updating the HDG and CRS settings. Not a big deal, nothing froze solid and all ended up fine. There does seem to be the perennial risk of delay and mini-freezing with this device on my FS PC, but generally it seems to work well with default FS2004 aircraft. All simulated functions work perfectly with the PMDG 747-400 (have not tried the NG yet)--in particular the intervention modes for SPD and ALT work nicely and are a real trip-- as I've noted previously and one simply has to be a little slower and more deliberate turning the MCP knobs to minimize the risk of a freeze and need for a re-boot of the sim.I don't know what more can be done if anything to address any issues. I have full faith and confidence in both GoFlight and PMDG, but I believe that this is just "one of those things" and that is that. I'm just going to keep simming with this and be grateful for its existence. Jonathan

Guest jarrodc

Hello Robert,I just want to be clear on one thing on the Goflight MCP Pro. I fly the PMDG 737/700 with the winglets as I love this aircraft, and it is an aircraft my VA uses (it doesnt use the other 737 models). I want to use the MCP pro but this post claims you have to have the 737 - 800/900 installed. Once that addon is installed can I still use the 737 - 700 with winglets with the MCP Pro. I dont mind bying the 737-800/900 epansion as long as I can still use the 700 with the MCP Pro. Can you confirm please.

Confirmed! Once you have the 800/900, all series work.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Jambo

Hi Guys and PMDGI receently purchased the Opencockpits MCP, and I have to say it is amazing, and have experienced none of the problems you guys seem to be having with your GO flight product. I do have to say that I havent as yet gotten around to using it with any of the PMDG products, as since the levelD 767 for FSX came out I have mainly been using that with my MCP.A guy called NICO as written a software called FSCONV, and more recently another program which i have been helping him test which is even better than FSCONV as it doesnt need FSPUIC to work. MY MCP works amazing with the LEVELD, no flickers,no delays when turning nobs etc, and it was cheaper than the GOFLIGHT MCP.One note to PMDG though LEVELD produced and SDK which they ship free of charge with the 767 which is what allows 3rd party developers to tap into the levelD sim and use the offsets etc that the sytems uses because just like the PMDG products they use offsets outside of the default FSX/FS9 ones. With more and more of us now adding to out simming expereince by buying various addons and modules, perhaps PMDG should consider a similar approach for there upcoming FSX products, 747X, new versions of 737 and the Airbus series, to allow the 3rd party software and hardware developers to TAP into the PMDG system. I have to say I think that the price PMDG charge for the sim is fine, I have loved my 747, even if it is in the hanger at the moment due to using FSX more at the moment, but I do think that the cost of the goflight software module is extortunate, and a SDK approach included in the sim free would be a more reasonable approach, PMDG have a monopoly at the moment on their product range, but LevelD and other developers could soon eat into this, should they continue to not only provide sims of a similar quality to that of the PMDG range, but also provide the SDK to allow people to freely add to their experience. As much as I eagerly await the 747 and 737 releases for FSX from PMDG, I do think that if I am unable to use my MCP fully with them, then the LEVELD 767 and soon to be released 757 will get more sim time than PMDG. Using the virtual cockpit now with track IR and my MCP with the amazing graphics in FSX is a totally new simming experience!James Carr(EGBB ATCO)

Jonathan,I got my MCP Pro fixed after I sent it to Go Flight. Everything works now..the way you had described.I am happy.Go Flight... is a great company to do business with!Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hey, Manny:Way to go, yay! Happy for you. Post with any other issues. I have none to speak of as long as I am careful with the PRO.GoFlight is a great company with great products and services.Cheers!Jonathan

Thanks very much for the update. Sounds like the Go Flight MCP Pro may be the way to go, after all.Larry

Larry Johnson

Guest rhammond

Just to keep you posted,MCP Pro and PMDG are still a problem! Even with MCP Pro up-grades, the MCP Pro continues to lock up with PMDG only, requiring re-boot! Other simulators appear to work properly. I have considered abandoning PMDG, however, it is one sim that is at the top of the list in terms of everything working like the real thing. I am still confident that someone can work this out! Incidentally, we have a top of the line sim including enough power to run MCP Pro. Power is not the problem!Rick Hammond

Rick:I agree and observe that the risk of lockup IS ever-present. I've simply learned to turn the dials more slowly so that this minimizes the risk of lock-up using the PMDG Queen. I admit it's not very helpful when in the arrivals area and you need to execute something like a teardrop turn or a 180 because you can hardly rotate the knobs fast enough, but it's better than nothing. Or I default to the screen MCP dials instead and that solves everything instantly. I've just accepted that there are limitations to this set-up with the Queen and I deal with them as best I can. The only other choice is endless to-ing and fro-ing and mostly my sense is that folks are burned out with such an approach (no pun intended!) If there ever IS a solution to this matter I shall consider it a windfall--but I ain't holding my breath....!Jonathan

Guest rhammond

>>Rick:>>I agree and observe that the risk of lockup IS ever-present. >I've simply learned to turn the dials more slowly so that this>minimizes the risk of lock-up using the PMDG Queen. I admit>it's not very helpful when in the arrivals area and you need>to execute something like a teardrop turn or a 180 because you>can hardly rotate the knobs fast enough, but it's better than>nothing. Or I default to the screen MCP dials instead and>that solves everything instantly. >>I've just accepted that there are limitations to this set-up>with the Queen and I deal with them as best I can. The only>other choice is endless to-ing and fro-ing and mostly my sense>is that folks are burned out with such an approach (no pun>intended!) If there ever IS a solution to this matter I shall>consider it a windfall--but I ain't holding my breath....!>>JonathanI did finally get to the bottom of this lockup issue. We built a complicated SIM around the PMDG 737NG. ( e.g., the MIP, throttle quadrant, radios, MCP Pro/EFIS, Standby gauges, EICAS, 3-19" screens for front view, two 7850 GPU's, ect.. ). A very nice SIM and close to the real 737NG! This system runs on two Pc's, the main PC originally being controlled by the Intel 6700 and the EICAS/Standby gauges controlled on AMD based PC. What we found is when the CPU started to get behind (for example loaded up at an approach or any condition where CPU core services to the USB missed a few beats) and you were adjusting anything on the MCP Pro when service slowed, the MCP Pro locked up. If you notice the slow down or update to MCP readouts and stopped turning the encoder, the MCP could recover, providing MCP Pro position was not to far from actual simulator position when services again started. I upgraded the Intel 6700 to the 6800 Extreme on the main PC and all lockups disappeared. Additionally, MCP Pro response also improved drastically. So, if you are running a very complicated SIM with all of the bells and whistles, you need a very fast processor with all of the best hardware.Sorry for implying PMDG had a driver issue.ThanksRick

Guest jarrodc

PMDG Team, I as many of my fellow simmers hint at in this post & other posts ask for some hardware interaction (SDK to allow input & recieve for annunciation) with your aircraft. Personally, I think if you do so and charge for it, you have a right to do so. I have several goflight modules, and ordering a CP-FLight MCP and an Engraviry CDU. I will be purchasing the unlock code for the CDU and have no problems doing so. Presently, with PMDG, I have to use a third party product called key2mouse for any button, switch interaction. There is 10-15 minutes work repositioning windows & alighnment before you start. It frustrates me so I just dont bother most of the time & fly the 767. My LDS 767 - turn it on and start flying. I have the flightdechtechnology I/O cards and it also reads the offsets from LDS through the SDK to illuminate ununciators - a spectacular simming experiance.In my hanger I have the PMDG 747, 737NG 6/7/8/9 hundred series, I have recently upgraded to FSX which I have the 747 FSX. I also have the LDS 767-300. They all are superb products & I have absolutely no problems with the PMDG price including the unlock code for the CDU, support & the product except for its lack of adaptability with hardware. Hence - my 767 gets 80% of the airtime. It is frustrating because I love the PMDG series, but they are hard work because I have to fly a computer, not an aeroplane.I have read many posts from PMDG defending their position on reasons why a SDK will not be released. I completely understand the reasoning as they wish to protect their IP, a valid concern. However, for the small amount of people that may be able to get into the inner sanctoms of the PMDG programing through an SDK, I would say 99% would not have the knowhow or the inclanation to do so. LDS do not seemed threatened by this. We just want to fly & use hardware addons to do so. LDS are going greatguns with their product and I assume people are buying it in favour of PMDG because of its H/W compadibility. I do understand the new 737x will have further expandability. Cant wait to see it. I hope it s SDK where we can input & also receive outputs for annunciation.In summery, well done PMDG on a great product. I think however, now the simming community is expanding and the market is asking for you to please consider expanding your software to allow CP-FLight, Goflight, Engravity and many many other third party hardware vendors out there to send & receive input & outputs to your aircraft to increase the simming experiance. This demand wasnt as prevelent 5 years ago. The hardware market is changing I feel. While connectivity is currently available, it is very limited compared to the LDS product. If you charge for an SDK I would gladly gladly pay for it. Thats your commercial right to do so, and it is up to the customer to choose if they wish to pay for it or not.Lets put it all in context. I have paid proberly less than $1000.00 AU for my software. I have spent over $2000.00 AU on hardware. I have no control over what people charge for their products. Its a neich market and people have identified that and good on them. To pay another $100.00 AU or so for conectivity via a SDK is the least of my concern. I just want to fly my PMDG aircraft and do so with the rich experiance I get from my LDS using hardware. Clicking a mouse all over the place detracts for me.Thanks for reading all, and PMDG, please please reconsider releasing an SDK. This would be greatly received by your customers, and potential new customers, cockpit builders. If you charge for it, I have the credit card ready. If it ships free - even better. I just want to fly using my hardware.Jarrod ClowesAustralia

Guest Mountie1

As an outsider looking in I have to say I feel that was a slightly arrogant reply to honet questions by one of your customers... :-(