Sign in to follow this  
DF9AA

744 TO at MaxTOW

Hi,after several unsuccessful attempts to take-off at or just barely below MaxTOW I would like to know if you have to observe special procedures for this. I have roughly 1000 hrs on this type and never ever had any problems while taking off . . .Some data : WSSS Rwy 20C TOW 874621 lbs or 396851 kgs - V1 Vr V2 at 154/170/181 - temps around 30 CAfter V1 and shortly before Vr the AC stops on the runway and it says in german "Absturz" ( german version of FS9 ) which means "crash" . . .The AC is right on centerline, all wheels are still there where they should be.I waited at the runway holding point to be sure all taxi fuel was used and to be sure to have not exceeded MaxTOW.After three attempts I reduced the tow by 2500 lbs or 1000 kgs, everything was fine . . . the v-speeds were then 1 kt less !Any explainations ?Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Foster

Karl-HeinzI get the same with default WSSS and 02C (02R in FS). I would suggest turning of crash detection in FS under Aircraft|Realism Settings. I never have it on. Too many crashes with buildings when parking at jetways and so on. Also some runways are programmed with the wrong surface compared to real life which also results in crashes. That might be the cause here.So turn Crash detection OFF and you'll be good to go.Hope it helps,

Hi Matts,yep, this might be the cause of the problem - but this morning I reduced the TOW only by a 1000 lbs or about 500 kgs - and, off I went with no further problem . . .

Well. There has to be a treshold somewhere... ;-)Cheers,

WSSS suffers from the dreaded Bitmus runway surface. This can cause the PMDG 747 to crash while travelling over it at high speed, and tends to act like glue, causing problems for taking off, as it is harder for the aircraft to reach high speeds.Use AFCAD to change the surface to ashphalt.

HiI really can't believe it . . .I took off with only 1300 kgs less at 395569 kgs - V-speeds were identical . . . with no problems whatsoever ! Will try a new one at VHHHwith MaxTowKarl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Foster

HI:Are you turning your packs off for the take off run? It raises the duct pressure to the engines adding a bit more power. Works on some jets.RegardsRick

Karl-Heinz,Just for the fun of it I changed the runway surface to Concrete using AFCAD and the T/O roll was uneventful even at 370 something metric tons. You do need a lot of runway though... ;-)

Hi Mats,was no fun for you . . . I had 395 Ktons on asphalt with no problems - must be something else ( the extra 1000 kgs did something, which I don't understand when it crashed ? )- 4000 mtrs should be ok !Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Foster

Hi,Sorry, my bad. Of course I meant 400 metric tons and not 370 as I wrote. The GW was way over MGW but no crash with runway surface changed to concrete at WSSS RWY 02C/L. So, Karl-Heinz, the culprit is indeed the runway surface.Hope it helps,

Over a long period of time in FS2004 I have invariably found that if a runway surface is BITUMUS, there is a total disaster taking off in ANY large jet even if lightly laden. I change all surfaces at such airports (whenever I encounter them) to tarmac or concrete using the AFCAD tool and it cures the problem. It is then also possible to take off in a slightly overweight Queen (not that I recommend it!) without breaking apart.Jonathan

Kieth-These fellows are correct. THe problem you are seeing is a result of the runway surface. Changing your weight slightly is inconsequential- and while it may give you success at WSSS it will unlikely give you much benefit in other places...It's a long standing bug within FS...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com