Sign in to follow this  
KevMac

PMDG strongly discourages using FSX in Windows Vista

Hey PMDG -This comment is still in your wiki "PMDG strongly discourages using FSX in the Windows Vista operating system".Is that still your recommendation?Just wondering if your team has performed any new testing in Vista, specifically Vista 64-bit?thanks,Kevin

That is still our recommendation, yes. Vista 64 is your best bet if you want to try though as the ability to have a larger user address space helps with performance and the out of memory situations.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest diajohn2

I have no problems using the 747X with Vista 32. Smooth and beautiful.

Guest Mower

>That is still our recommendation, yes. Vista 64 is your best>bet if you want to try though as the ability to have a larger>user address space helps with performance and the out of>memory situations.Are you suggesting I could see an FPS increase from XP 32?

Guest Mower

>Well you dont have the 3gb limit.>>STevenYes but are not programs limited to using 2GB anyhow?

Vista 32 is great with PMDG 2.10/FSX!Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

What does that mean. I think your getting confused.Steven

No, he is not confused. 32-bit Windows programs are limited to using 2GB of virtual memory (or, in some special cases, 3GB). The amount of physical RAM has NO BEARING on that.FYI: There is an incredible amount of documentation "out there" from Microsoft, Intel, and others, on how memory address spaces work on the various CPU and O/S architectures.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Guest Mower

Vista 32 is junk, only the 64 is gonna REALLY make use of 4GB or more.My question is how does FSX and the 744x run on the 64 bit Vista?Anyone know first hand?

FSX runs as a 32-bit application. Therefore, it's still limited to 2GB.That said, I've seen lots of reports from people that FSX runs just fine on Vista 64.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

FSX and PMDG 744X run very well on my system with Vista 64. I used to dual boot with XP, but discovered my performance was better in Vista, so use it exclusively now. I was getting a couple more frames, and everything runs very smooth. Also, never once have I had an OOM with Vista64--I would get them periodically with XP, even with the default 172.KyleFS box: Q6600 (@ 3.24 GHz), ASUS P5E3 Premium, 4 GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 (Cas 6-6-6-18-2T @ 1440 MHz), BFG 8800GTX 768, Soundblaster XFi Fatality, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 GB, Silverstone TJ09 case, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, Vista Ultimate 64http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

I don't think the Vista 64-bit is getting near the attention it deserves from the flight sim world or otherwise. It flat-out performs better than any computer I've ever had! When I installed FSX, I set the display settings toward the left expecting a slide show. Now, I keep the sliders far to the right and only have challenges in cities like LA or San Francisco. The only thing I'm missing now is the brand new 737NG for FSX. Curt

>Well you dont have the 3gb limit.Why? Who has a 3gb limit? Me I run my Vista 32 with 3.64GB (4gb installed) and everything turned up to the max and runs smooth as silk. Locked at 26fps and it stays there except for the extreme airports where it does drop to about 17fps.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Guest D17S

This is going to get even more interesting when the 1GB/Vram'd GTX280 shows up next month. 32bit operating systems are going to get hammered with those pesky OOM program drop-deads. If you haven't switched to V64, ya might as well bite the bullet. The 744X runs fine in V64. The issue is not the plane or the 64 bit op system, it's the FS platform. FXS is prettier, that's for sure, but pounding down a hand flown final at 15FPS with otherwise flyable settings removes any sense of realism. I can't "feel" the airplane at frame rates below ~ 25. 'At altitude' is not a problem in FSX, but that's not the problem. A Q @ 3.6 + 4G-O-ram + 8800GT @ 19x10 runs the vFS9 at Very 'feelable' frames. Don't really know what they are cuz I never even turn on the frame counter, but I can feel the weight. It allows me to 'stay with it' (I mumble to myself) as I attempt to hand fly an ILS at 1/8 mile visibility and gusts to 40. I tell ya what folks, sticking one of those will make your day.That patch for the FS9 version was well targeted . . . and well appreciated.