Sign in to follow this  
stevenp

md-11 oom errors

Guest Knikolaes

Well I am making my final update here as I think I pretty much tracked the issue (on my end anyway) with the study I have been doing . . . It's not a PMDG MD-11 issue - at least I don't think. And I say this as someone who was getting the OOMs at first and managed to reconstruct FSX 1 add-on at a time to figure out the conflict.From my system anyway it's not any particular add-on. Its system specs combined with amount of active add-ons installed.Here is the order I did things to tonight and the memory usage at each stage. As the list goes down, the prior item remained, so this is an accumulation of add-ons working at once here. All of the following are using the tutorial flight at just before dusk and flipping around between windows and menus involved as well.Windows as is -- 35%FSX Default only with Ultra High Sliders -- 50%Add PMDG MD-11 -- 53%Add VFR Gen X volumes 1, 2 and 3 in use in the area of flight -- 53%Add Switzerland professional in use in the area of flight -- 53%(Note here that photo scenery does NOT affect memory usage at all).Add VFR London -- 53%(Again no difference in memory but the frame rates went to heck O.O )Add Ultimate Traffic X -- 60%Add Active Sky X with X graphics -- 73%As you can see, add-ons such as aircraft, weather engines and AI do accumulate usage on memory. Passive items such as scenery (I am talking static objects here, not the dynamic ground AI, etc) do not.If I really wanted to I could toss in a few more active utilities and force an OOM. This is something I was never aware of before, but made myself aware of now and wanted to share with you all in this OOM thread.This was done with 4 GB OCZ high performance gaming memory on a 64 bit OS. So obviously the results will vary -- even if you have the same amount of memory, memory specs will affect you (Front Side Bus, latency, etc.)FYI -- on Active Sky I used the full 512x512 32 bit textures for maximum effect. Lower sliders may yield more flexibility in memory usage but I didn't bother testing that part.I guess if anyone else here still has problems with OOMs, you may want to check system specs and amount of active add-ons installed in the sim. At first I was with the group saying "It's the plane", but I proved myself wrong there.This BIG observation here is the PMDG MD-11 -- it only made a 3% difference in memory usage across the board in a number of flight situations before I went on to add the other add-ons. I really do not think this thing is as big of a hog as some may think it is. It just may be pushing limits over the edge that was already close.To PMDG: I hope this helps.<> Correction of spelling and grammatical errors.

Guest D17S

This is similar to how I got it the 744X to OOM. Aerosoft's Frankfurt finally allowed me to ring the OOM bell. I haven't been able to get the MD11 to OOM yet, but I'm still trying! Playing with computers And airplanes at the same time? Does it get any better than this? Well, OK, maybe.But in any case, it sure is Great fun. Thanks for the effort.

Hi guys,I was occasionally suffering from OOM errors when flying PMDG 747X (exclusively during approaches to big airports after long haul flights) and with MD-11 it was even worse. Sometimes I experienced the error even after short hauls. Anyway, I edited my fsx.cfg and added that DISABLEPRELOAD=1 line into it, and I started to use Ken Salter's AlacrityPC program which disables all unnecessary services and background tasks before launching FSX. And you know what? No OOM with 747 or MD-11 since that! I do not even need to use that 3G switch even when I use memory consuming add-on's like UTX, GEX and ASX. My config: Vista SP1 32-bit, 4 GB RAM.Marek

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Guest Mower

Just to repeat what I have observed personally: only Vista 64 gets rid of OOM errors, got them often with XP and V32, but never once with V64.

Chris,sorry but I don't understand how is that related to my story. I wrote that I use FSX under Vista 32-bit and I do NOT have any OOM errors anymore (with DisablePreload and AlacrityPC). Maybe other users who experience OOM's under Vista 32-bit could try that. It helped me a lot and now I can fully enjoy the excellent PMDG airplanes...Marek

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Guest D17S

FSX OOMs relate to the memory scheduling for only FSX. For instance with a non-switched 32bit operating system running 100 programs and processes, 200Gs of memory can be scheduled (100 x 2G) before an OOM might occur. As long as any single one of these programs or processes does not schedule above 2Gs, the system will not OOM. If shutting down processes stopped OOM events, it was one of those processes that was causing the OOM, not FSX. The processes have independant ram scheduling and the FSX preload switch only prevents that event from occurring at load. It will either unloaded at the first (non-preloaded) flight selection or remain preloaded for that pre-load flight. However the op system can crash if physical memory usage gets too high too. I expect this is what's actually happening. This is most literally an out of memory event, but Not the notorious "OOM" we typically see here.In any case, congratulations on getting it to run. It can be a struggle for the 32bit-ers.

I'd like to push the testing forward with my experience and something at the end I'd like you all to try out.The story:I've been struggling with the same issue as the rest of you. I had come back to simming after a year hiatus. Back then I was running Vista 32 with FSX SP1. The PMDG 747x ran fine. A year later the PMDG 747 with SU1 would OOM-- couldn't finish a flight. BCDEDIT alteration just seemed to delay the inevitable. What's important is that I saw the texture issues y'all describe BEFORE the OOM (missing fuselage on exterior model, some VC textures disappear, etc.) so I knew when the OOM was coming.Trivial note: What's interesting is that it didn't use to OOM a year ago with FSX SP1 and a lesser card (ATI 2900XT 512MB) than current (GTX 280 1GB). However, so many other variables have changed between then and now, I cannot use any of it to pin this issue down. (driver updates, PMDG 747 service pack update, FSX SP2, Vista SP1, AV updates, the list goes on and on)So I figured it was time to "suck it up" and try out Vista 64-- what I thought was the easy way out and support for it is much better these days. I got it installed a few days ago looking forward to it solving the issue. Installed up FSX, SP2, add-ons... And I haven't gotten the OOM error. However, with the PMDG I still get the eventual missing textures (fuselage, VC, etc) and succeeding black screen or messed up textures I got in Vista 32. I just don't get an OOM error. ;) I can still use FSX to quit out cleanly but can't see anything if I stay in it.In both OS's I tried the different tweaks out there though, as I understand it, most of the tweaks have been made obsolete with FSX SP2-- however I gave some a shot anyway (since NickN from GEX uses 'em). Bufferpools, DisablePreload, Texturebandwidthmulti. No difference in the PMDG's stability.Remembering FSAutostart, I also tried AlacrityPC to see if that would help-- it didn't help this issue though I'll stick with it like I did FSAutostart for overall performance. Let's move forward. Here are my list of installed add-ons:FSX SP2 (not-patched, Acceleration installed over RTM)Ultimate Terrain X 1.0.3aFlight Environment X 1.0.55Ground Environment X 1.09Squawkbox 4.0BetaActiveSkyX Build 1160XGraphics Build 298 (most features turned off due to FEX presence)Ultimate Traffic X PMDG 747 SP1FS2Crew Update 1I had many more add-ons installed a year ago when I wasn't getting the OOMs but, again, too much as changed and been updated to pin this down easily.In retrospect, it would have been best to install these add-ons one at a time but I really thought Vista64 would solve the OOMs entirely and it didn't occur to me to do so. Doh! I may yet do this for the purpose of helping this thread forward though I'm not sure it would serve us. For instance in order to test this process I'd have to begin with FSX w/ PMDG as a baseline, then install add-ons one at a time. If I were to install add-ons 1, 2, 3, then 4 and get the texture issue, it doesn't necessarily indicate addon 4 is the issue. It could mean the PMDG has the issue and add-on 4 reveals it. If I had skipped add-on 4 and installed add-on 5, perhaps that would reveal it. I say this because if I run all the add-ons with another aircraft, the problem does not occur and this might be important. From what I've read, it's what y'all have been saying. Without belaboring that point, I'm suggesting that the integrity of this experiment may be lacking but I am willing to try if there is scientific value in it.Since Vista 64, I've uninstalled Ultimate Traffic X and installed My Traffic 5.2a-- still an issue. I've tried lower sliders (on my uber rig -- say it ain't so)-- still an issue-- but I have yet to try lowering sliders systematically-- mainly because doing them in bunches didn't solve anything. I've tried texturemaxload=1024 and lowering cloud settings in FEX- still an issue. My opinion-- We could be correct in that the PMDG has an issue that's realized by add-ons. It could explain why we are unable to predict when the error will occur due the ever changing flight environment. It's more than difficult to lock down the flight environment without uninstalling add-ons-- add-ons that exist to alter the flight environment (ActiveSky, FEX, Traffic, Squawkbox, etc).That's my story-- now onto the test.For those of you that are running Vista with a DX10 capable card, do this test for me. Run FSX in DX10 Preview mode. Give it a shot and see if the PMDG issue goes away.I'm asking because this has fixed the issue for me. I'm not sure why the altered code path of DX10 would band-aid this-- I have not had the texture issues since- where the Display sliders are doesn't matter, add-ons installed doesn't matter, traffic up high-- doesn't matter, ActiveSky overcast, doesn't matter, Alt+Tabbing-- doesn't matter (though I still cringe when I do it)-- you get the picture. :) It has helped me but that isn't good enough-- I want to know why and I want to see if this helps others as well.Unfortunately, this isn't a solution-- just a band-aid. I'm not happy being forced to run the unfinished DX10 mode since it adversely affects my FPS, causes the flashing textures we all know about, is incompatible (aesthetically) with some FSX addons that weren't built for SP2 and virtually disables Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering. It is not an ideal but I'd like to gather data on this from the rest of you. At the very least I hope it helps you temporarily so you can enjoy the 747 and/or MD-11 while we continue our search for the fix.My detailed specs for those that are interested:Dell XPS 720 - BIOS A06 (latest from DELL)Vista 64 SP1Core 2 Extreme Quad Core Q6850 3.00 Ghz o/c from factory @ 3.33 (tried reducing the clock to Intel 3.0 standard for kicks - no difference for PMDG)4GB 800Mhz Memory (2T Memory timing)nVidia Geforce GTX 280 1GB running 178.24 WHQLnVidia chipset drivers 15.24 for i680 chipset (was running DELL drivers but tried these to see if it would help the issue-- it didn't but they seem solid so leaving them installed)Creative X-Fi (running latest DELL Drivers but did try youp-pax for kicks -- no difference for PMDG)Cougar HOTAS RC1 64bit driversGateway FHD2400 running at 1920x1200DirectX 9.0c/10 November 2008 updateP.S. I own the MD-11 but need to learn the systems so I can test it with DX10. Regards to all,

Guest D17S

Thanks for the effort. We'al appreciate it. Let's see: This is with the 744x and the OOMs entirely went away after Vista 64. But still getting the disappearing airplane.Actually, I was getting bad texture corruption in FSX generally and I RMA'd my 9800GTX+. The thing wouldn't O/C for beans anyway and I was glad to get rid of it. I got my replacement and it went right up to 800/2000/1200. I really don't know how much difference it made to the sim, but I was in O/Cin' heaven. The replacement was clearly a stronger card.I was zooming around, this time terrorizing the valleys of Switzerland. I had managed to to successfully descend into the valley and was on an IGS final. I popped outside to admire the view on that dusk approach to Sion. Half my airplane was gone. I was nowhere near the US navy, so I suspected a computer anomaly. Other than that, I had worked too hard to get there and the scenery was just too spectacular to quit. The Vcockpit was still all there, so I finished my landing and escaped out. My impression was that I had uberloaded my Vcard and backed off the O/C to 775. At this small reduction in clock, it should have happened again. So far, it has not. This was 5 days ago and ~ 10-15 flight hours all in the MD11 (still exploring the Alps). I still don't know what's up. My impression is that it's my hardware (possibly heat). My 'problem' is that it doesn't happen very often. However I can never remember my 744 going away like that.If you have multimonitors, run Process Explorer along with your flights and monitor Virtual Size (the OOM stuff) and WS Private (Physical ram load). Also run Rivatuner. It has a Vcard temp graph that is also fun to watch. These details at a frag event would be helpful.

Another update from me, probably my final one until PMDG acknowledges this issue.My last big idea was to update DirectX 9.0c with the November 2008 redistributable. It seemed to make a slight difference in that in lighter weather (fewer clouds) the black screen didn't come for longer.But it turns out not to be a solution.On my PC, these problems ONLY happen with PMDG products.So I've now given up experimenting and I await a solution from PMDG.Tim

>Another update from me, probably my final one until PMDG>acknowledges this issue.>>My last big idea was to update DirectX 9.0c with the November>2008 redistributable. It seemed to make a slight difference in>that in lighter weather (fewer clouds) the black screen didn't>come for longer.>Did you try running in DirectX 10 preview mode*?* Vista and a DX10 compatible card required

Setting of LOD range from high to medium and groundtextures to 2 meters (both in Display settings), cured the problem for me. On DX9, Vista64.Regards, Gerrit

>Setting of LOD range from high to medium and groundtextures>to 2 meters (both in Display settings), cured the problem for>me. On DX9, Vista64.>>Regards, >>GerritSame here only a little change LOD range from high to medium and cloud coverage from maximum to high.This is on an E8600 with 4gb crucial memory / WD 10000rpm and a 8800GT 512MB Vista 32 bit SP1 latest DX9...Still testing...Cheers,http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

Guest benvanboom

My OOM's are over ! As i already wrote on previous pages, my system is high end - heavy duty running FS9 but i alway's suffered OOM's in the PMDG B744.Not only in the B744, but also in the PMDG MD11 this is the case.I was testing for day's the last few day's, hour after hour, over and over again and this was my solution:1. I downloaded the O&O defrag program, like PMDG advises in the MD11 manual and defragged my system.2. I disabled Ultimate terrain Europe (because i had the feeling that was to much for my system)That did it for me...no OOM's in wich heavy scenery in what heavy aircraft i take.Maybe there is a memory issue in Ultimate Terrain Europe, maybe it is just to heavy for my memory.Now i can fly the Queen and MD11 like i want.Try it yourself and maybe it works for you guy's also.regards,Ben

Hello together,I've got the problem with the textures and the black screen too. In my last flight from EHAM to GCLP I've got this problem after choosing the PMDGOptions menue. I activated "pause at TOD" and that was the end of my flight. The half of my screen appeared black and after trying to switch from fullscreen to windowed mode everything was black.I've switched two times from fullscreen to window - everything was fine, then I've pressed the PMDGOptions menue... :( This problem is really frustrating.Patric