Sign in to follow this  
Guest bstolle

LDS 767 promo video questions

Guest bstolle

Bill,>I have learnt from first hand experience, that in a forum of any kind, this is not the most positive way to get results, or gain friendships.Yes, I know that. That's why I offer designers of promising planes my help. Serious beta testing is very time consuming and no fun at all.But if you look e.g. at miltons -7 it sometimes pays off.I did this for this sim as well, but never got an answer.So asking questions in a forum asap, is the only chance I have.>Forgive me Bernt if I have misread your post,...There's absolutely nothing to forgive, it IS mainly a problem of mother tongue. e.g. In our country one would NEVER say to a total stranger, how you are doing? This kind of politeness is totally absent in our language.>...they sound as if your angry and that LDS has produced a product that you would not purchase...So why would I write in my initial statement? ;-)"I'm looking very much forward to the release"Before seeing the video I was sure to buy it right away but now I'm a bit disappointed that the 2D panel hasn't changed at all. But if the VC instruments are fluid I will be EXTREMELY happy to fly the 76 from the VC Cockpit only.Let's see what the captainsim 767 has to offer.I used the 767PIC for my typerating on the real plane and it was a GREAT tool.What was already disturbing for practising the panel flow etc..., was the wrong 2D panel and overhead panel layout. So I did hope that with the higher res, most people use today, the instruments would be slightly smaller and a more realistic layout.Yet I don't understand the decision for the orange caution messages.Imagine what the sim community would have said if PMDG just colored the EICAS messages to their own liking !!! RegardsBernt Stolle Captain 767-300ER

Guest kombi

>Just a question...is PAN PAN PAN used only in situations such>as suspected fire in the cockpit and the likes? I remember>seeing a recontruction on the Swiss that went down due to fire>in the cockpit and they called PAN PAN PAN.Agreeing with the previous reply, a PAN is used when apprehension exists about an aircraft, a fire is a state of distress and a MAYDAY call is appropriate. As an additional point if ATC is aware of a fire or indications of a fire (even if there are no visible signs) they will declare a Distress Phase (equiv to MAYDAY) even if the pilot has not made an emergency call. My experience is in Australia, so I am not sure if this information is valid in other countries.Mike

Guest Mark McG

Bernt,as a 767 captain what would you prefer - a nice shiny panel or a high degree of accurate systems modelling.

Just a reminder why the PIC team selected the orange EICAS messages (as far as I know/remember)On the real 767, you have two different colors for EICAS messages - yellow and red. Red are the bad ones, such as fire or cabin pressure. The yellow ones are either cautions or advisories. The only difference between these two is the fact that advisories are indented ("a space") while cautions appear normally. On a normal sized monitor (19") with a normal resolution (1152*x/1280*x) you would have a tough time seeing the difference. This is why the PIC team decided to omit the indenting and add the orange EICAS color.As I am not a beta tester, I have no idea what the final product will be like. Maybe this can be a user option?Depending on the number of messages modelled, this may take up to 3-4 hours to change, however.Maybe the level D folks have something to add?Regards,MarkEither way, I am definetely looking forward to the 767!

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

I once read a story written by a female pilot. I don

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest bstolle

Mark,An accurate panel layout and a high degree of accurate systems modelling is IMHO neccessary. No need to be nice and shiny.I would even prefer smaller instruments, because missing instruments and buttons that shouldn't be there are distracting.Apparently they DID correct it on the overhead panel. Resolution has increased within the last 5 years. So readability shouldn't be a problem. Let's see what captainsim comes up with. RegardsBernt Stolle Capt 767-300ER

Guest bstolle

Mark,You face this problem in real life even more 'cause "normally" you get either advisories OR caution messages.It's really difficult to tell what it is by just looking at the EICASbecause you can't tell immediately if this message is further inward by one character or not.RegardsBernt Stolle Capt 767-300ER

Bernt you are fighting with fans, not members. Give the team the respect they deserve by letting then address the issues at hand. i can tell you it not my area on the team, but all those issues BUT the 2D have been fixed.and if you read the Avsim poll, almost 75% of users still fly 1024x768 ;)Gary HayesLevel-D Simulations Development TeamNo im not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.P4 3.0ghz w/HT & FSB..GeForce FX 5900 ultra 256MB..1 gig PC3200 DDR RAM..Sound Blaster Audigy w/5.1 THX

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

No i'm not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Guest bstolle

MD83,Yes, until appprox 1 year ago this was correct.I'm really happy flying the 767 now :-)After flying this worst-plane-ever CRJ for nearly 10 years, I think I deserve it to fly such a great plane !Here's a pic of myself on my first long range flight as a freshly checked out 767 commander over afghanistan. VIE-BKKAll the bestBernt Stolle Capt 767-300ER

Guest bstolle

Gary,I do apologize if I made the impression to fight, this was not my intention !!!As I said, if the VC gauges are sufficently fast updated, I'll be the happiest virtual and real 767 commander around and your biggest supporter!I honestly wish you all the best with your simBernt Stolle Capt 767-300ER

Bernt,so the only way to know if you've recieved a caution or an advisory is whether or not its accompanied by an aural?Maybe Boeing should think of changing the EICAS colors then ;-)Or has she become too old?Regards,Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Guest bstolle

Mark,That's correct but in nearly one year of flying the 767 I NEVER got a master caution.And as there aren't too many cautions on the 767, they are easy to recognise.Compare that to the CRJ where you got an average of 2-3 master cautions during every flight.Let alone during engine shutdown where you got a whole bunch.Maybe they changed it on the 744 or the 777, don't know.But the 76 is way too old, and it isn't a serious disadvantage.Look at the 737 and the MD80. The would be happy to have an EICAS at all ;-)RegardsBernt Stolle Capt 767-300ER

Serious beta testing is very time consuming and no fun at all Hehe well not for some of us! I did not have the honor to be on the PIC teams for beta but they do have some great guys already so I have complete faith in their work. Anyways capt Bernt, kile I have stated questions are a good thing and are harmless, one can read and take it or leave it I don't think speaking one's mind in a respectful manner is a negative thing as your desire is for the best product that they can offer..Cheers,Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | NEC LCD 1980SXi 19" | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro |