Sign in to follow this  
Guest 767simfan2

I GIVE UP ON VATSIM!!!!

Guest 767simfan2

All,OK, I braved the time-consuming double registration and sign on for vatsim. I read the PRC on how to install the software and the steps needed to get going. I've spent several evenings slogging through the software installs while tryng to figure this all out and get VATSIM going on my computer. All told, I have no idea how all this works or what I need to do to get connected to VATSIM.Earlier tonight I figured I'd just start some programs and see what happens. I started SBRelay and noticed that the KLAX tower was manned. I double clicked on the tower info and got an IP address. I started FS2004 multiplayer and used that IP address to connect. Nothing was happening so I tried to start Squawkbox. I kept getting some error message that said I joined but I didn't. I tried to start the AVC and I can't get past the folder that wants a server name. None are available through the pulldown menu.So, I spent several evenings and a lot of time trying to figure all this out. I've feel as though I've gotten nowhere. Nothing works except for ServInfo. I have no idea about how this all works together. There is no big picture on what is going on or what to do next for a newbie. I give up.This is way too difficult and time consuming to set up. There is no one to speak to for help. There are no excamples of how to fly a flight. All I wanted to do was show up at the aiport and observe. Do I need to file a flight plan on VATSIM, then on Squawkbox too? Like I said before, there is no big-picture about what is going on here or what I need to do.Well, I think you all get the picture so I'll stop here. Maybe one day in the future the setup for VATSIM will be much easier. Until then, I'm going back to the FS2004 ATC. Heck, for all the time I've spent on this I could've flown several complete FS2004 flights with it's built-in ATC."HAWKMAN"

Guest SN898

"no one to talk to"HINT: what you are on now

Guest MB327

I am really sorry you feel this way HAWKMAN and felt compelled to writing the scathing review, particularly after the personal email I sent you earlier. When David Weese wrote the FS2004 software tutorial, he designed it and included screenshots just so new users would have a step by step guide to loading everything up to get going. Then, in the AVC, FSUIPC, and other software courses were written in similar fashion.You mentioned above that you

You say you went through PRC. It sounds like you skipped a step or two above.Here's the steps in a simple form:1. Start SBRelay2. Start FS3. Start Multiplayer4. Start SBhost.5. Make sure FS is not in 3D Mode (press alt-enter)6. Start SB.7. Connect to VATSIM.8. Right mouse to get menu, double click on ATC to connect fs/avc com1 to desired ATC text and voice room, if available.You might want to go through PRC to make sure nothing is missed.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest 767simfan2

Scott and Mike,Thank you for the replys. Scott, I used your start sequence and I think I'm finally starting to get somewhere. But, it's still not really happening for me. Here's what I've done so far.I finally figured out to leave the game search fields blank. This brings up the games available to join in both FS multiplayer and Squawkbox multiplayer screens. Originally, I kept thinking I had to enter an ISP address.Next, after starting FS I get an error message;"FS has detected potentially incompatible aircraft or software File HostSB.dll"I select "load anyway" option and SBhost seems to work OK later on.After starting FSMultiplayer I now get a "Server has joined session" message.I then start SBhost and minimize the window.I then start SquawkBox. My in sim message then displays "Squawkbox has joined the session."Then, here comes another error message;"FSUIPC error; One or more of your programs you are using is not accredited for access to an unregistered copy of FSUIPC. Please see FSUIPC.log for details."I select "OK" on this and the screen disapears. What is going on here?Now, this is where things seem to stop. Scott, you said to right click mouse to get menu. I've tried to right click and nothing seems to happen other than pulling down the normal FS menus. What am I right clicking?I manually started AVC. I click to join session and receive the following message;"Authentication Failed; Your callsign was not found. You must log onto a VATSIM server before joining a voice channel."What? I thought I was already logged on with FS, SBHost, and Squawkbox. I'm not sure what I need to log onto for AVC. The PRC made it sound as though AVC would start automatically.Well, that's as far as I can get. VATSIM is still not happening for me. Any help or suggestions for these problems will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Hawkman,There is no arguement that getting on to VATSIM in its current form, is a royal pain. Fortunately, once you figure it out it is relatively painless and takes less than a minute. We all have high hopes the new version of Squawkbox will help. If you need help, take a look at UPS Virtual Airline. There is always someone on the Roger Wilco channel that can TALK you through the process step by step. Believe me you will be up and at it in no time. www.upsvac.com you can access the RW channel from the website.good luck.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest rcritz

Hawkman,It's very clear that you have not followed either the steps in the VATSIM PRC or in the SBRelay readme. THere are no shortcuts. You have to read one or the other or both and follow the steps.If you do, none of the errors you are seeing will still be present.cz

Guest schmidtrock

Hello there hope this helps."FSUIPC error; One or more of your programs you are using is not accredited for access to an unregistered copy of FSUIPC. Please see FSUIPC.log for details."You need to do one of two things. Pay to register FSUIPC or look up in your FSUIPC error log (should be in your FS9 modules folder, a text file) and see which program has the code issue with FSUIPC. Then you need to obtain the register code for that program and in the FSUIPC panel there is a selection for registering a program where you will enter this code. It is probably SBRelay causing the error and the author has the FSUIPC code on his website where you downloaded the program and is probably in the readme file also included with the program download. I chose the previous method and paid for the FSUIPC as it is a one time charge for all future upgrades and Peter Dowson is contantly improving the program.If you can find out which program is causing the error let me know and I will help you find the register code if you choose to go that route.Regards,

Guest 767simfan2

Mark, cz, Keven,Thank you all for the replies. After several days of working on this I am still unable to get VATSIM going. I've eliminated a couple of the previous errors. FSUIPC seem to be the holdup now. Here's what's going on.Shortly after starting Squawkbox I get the "Authentication Failed" message. I've checked the log and FSUIPC is looking at Squawkbox as an unregistered program.I reveiwed PRC 103f, SBRelay readme, and the adobe FSUIPC guide installation section.I've run the FSUIPC "application registration" numerous times. I make sure that "Squawkbox" and "LWVQ 7IZV 9GPB" are in the appropriate fields. I hit OK and then a "confirm" option comes up. I hit confirm and then nothing happens. I've restarted Squawkbox. I've restarted FS. Results are the same.Can anyone please help me. Any suggestions at this point will be appreciated.

Guest Agrajag

Well, I feel close to the way you do. After all the people who recommended VATSIM to me lately, I decided it was finally time to give this a try. I'm an ATC sim fan, listen to chatter on every United flight and have owned every FS since 1.0. VATSIM was a COMPLETE PAIN IN THE @@@ to get going. What gets is that every step seems overly complicated and non-intuitive.First the double registration. Second, usernames and password you have NO control over that are totally random so they're a pain to recall forcing me to constantly keep them nearby. Even the much ballyhooed Pilot's Resource Center is a problem. Many of the topics are not up-to-date, including mistakes and lots of broken links. Also many elements that are important just aren't mentioned. Plus the choice of style is very intimidating and references from fans about that start with, "Oh, that's explained on Step 11." Step 11??? And that's of just one tutorial of many. The fact that, to do it right with 2004 you need, ServInfo, SBRelay, AVC, HostSB and Squawkbox all to work correctly is just painful.That none of the docs I found (and I looked) mentioned that I needed to open 3 ports in my firewall was a major problem.AVC was the biggest pain to get going and I'm still totally confused by it. Nothing in the docs mentions how to talk with it. Do I hold the key (yes) or is it toggle? And I had no idea I had to select the person I want to talk to from ATC Display. Still not sure if AVC is supposed to load when I load Squawkbox now (I swear I read it's supposed to) but doesn't, and for now I have to select the person I want to talk to AND enter their frequencies into my radio manually. It also isn't smart enough to work the MUTE feature of the Microphone and the last thing you want is an active mike all the time so I've need to manually go in and turn it on and off by hand. I didn't ever need to do this with Naturally Speaking and other RW-like programs.The .xxx commands are a real treat too. No way to set Private so you have to type their full call-sign every time.Then, when you do get it all working there are other issues.You have to be in in the game in a window or it'll crash. Just bringing up the radio stack crashed FS9 every time. Once I was able to go back to Full Screen but every other time it hung up the game with a black screen.And even forgiving all of this, when you do get on, at least for the few days I've been on, there's no real coverage out of many major areas (I fly out of Philly) and I've never seen more than two (and almost always one) controller out of NY! Today there was full coverage in Kansas City for some reason but then I spent 2 hours on the ground there trying to get AVC working before quitting in frustration. Just this morning I finally got it working and I think I like the text better. The controller I spoke with kept calling me "dude" as in "hey dude, how's it goin'?" At least with text I can imagine a bit better. Add to this that I once again feel pretty much alone in the skies (I own and am used to MyTraffic at 100%) and the "it's as real as it gets" moniker just doesn't shine through from my perspective.Maybe when Squawkbox 3 comes out (when is it due?) but I suspect it'll be quite a while before this effort is really approachable for enough people to have it fully realize its potential. It's a great concept but at this stage I'd have to say it hasn't emerged from that mode yet.

Guest Agrajag

Martin,Thanks. That IS the tutorial I used in the end and it's better than the others but is still missing many critical elements to make this work well for many people (no mention of voice at all, no mention that FS9 needs to start in a window and many other things).I just feel that at this point in time, VATSIM is only for the most motivated and patient simmers out there. For me, all the work it took to get it going wasn't worth the end result so far.

Guest BK1

Hi AgrajagTry thinking of it as an investment, in terms of time and effort. I don't think I have seen any posts where anyone has said starting out on VATSIM is easy. I certainly found it a little confusing at the start. However, for your investment you will ultimately receive a return, which to me is the enormous satisfaction gained from the interactivity of the whole thing.Let me offer some responses to your points, if it helps.>First the double registration. Second, usernames and password>you have NO control over that are totally random so they're a>pain to recall forcing me to constantly keep them nearby.Once your username and password are entered into Squawkbox, they stay there, and your username stays in AVC as well.>Even the much ballyhooed Pilot's Resource Center is a problem. Many>of the topics are not up-to-date, including mistakes and lots>of broken links.Not my experience at all. Even though I've been on VATSIM a while now, I've tried the intial course on the PRC. If there are any broken links, I'm sure Mike B won't mind you pointing them out so they can be fixed. Ditto the mistakes.>The fact that, to do it right with 2004 you need, ServInfo,>SBRelay, AVC, HostSB and Squawkbox all to work correctly is>just painful.The installation and configuration of the various software can be tricky (see my comment re "investment" above). We are all optimistic that SB3 will eliminate several of the links in this admittedly long chain.>That none of the docs I found (and I looked) mentioned that I>needed to open 3 ports in my firewall was a major problem.Now this I think is a common error, and one I made (twice!). If you think about it, the applications you are using all require access to the internet, and your firewall needs to be configured to permit them access. This is not exclusive to VATSIM - it applies to any application on your PC.>And I had no idea I had to select the person I want to talk to from >ATC Display.Have a look at VATSIM121e in the PRC. This explains it. It's also in the tutorial quoted :)>Still not sure if AVC is supposed to load when I load>Squawkbox now (I swear I read it's supposed to) but doesn't,>and for now I have to select the person I want to talk to AND>enter their frequencies into my radio manually.AVC doesn't load when you load SB. When you select the "Connect" option in SB, make sure the tick box on the right hand side (Use RW for voice) is checked. When you press the "Connect" button, AVC will then load automatically.As far as manual tuning of radio frequencies is concerned, some pilots find this the more realistic method. Personally, I use the easier option of double-clicking the controller in the ATC directory, which tunes the radio automatically.>It also isn't smart enough to work the MUTE feature of the Microphone It doesn't need to be. When you push your PTT (Push To Talk) key, and keep it pressed, your microphone is live, and when you release it, the mic is muted.>The .xxx commands are a real treat too. Frankly, I agree entirely. I find I don't use them, except for .msg.>And even forgiving all of this, when you do get on, at least>for the few days I've been on, there's no real coverage out of>many major areas (I fly out of Philly) and I've never seen>more than two (and almost always one) controller out of NY!Remember, the controllers online are not providing a paid-for service, and there are times and areas where there is no coverage. There is usually coverage SOMEWHERE however. Use Servinfo info to find areas where controllers are online, and look at the major airports in the evenings, which is the busiest time. If you participate in fly-in's, which are publised on the VATSIM website, you can expect wall-to-wall ATC cover. Try Europe as well.>Just this morning I>finally got it working and I think I like the text better. The>controller I spoke with kept calling me "dude" as in "hey>dude, how's it goin'?" At least with text I can imagine a bit>better.That's disappointing. ATC is normally very professional. Are you sure you weren't receiving a private message from someone?>Add to this that I once again feel pretty much alone in the>skies (I own and am used to MyTraffic at 100%) and the "it's>as real as it gets" moniker just doesn't shine through from my>perspective.I can see what you mean when the skies are empty, but does the FS ATC ever help you with a routing or flight level if you've made a mistake, or ask you to turn quickly to avoid a conflict, or thank you for executing a hold procedure well? It's my own view, but I never, ever fly with FS ATC controlling me now, as it is simply not enough. If I have to fly offline (eg trial flights with a new aircraft), AI is set to zero and I don't open the ATC box.I think the key to succeeding with VATSIM is to make sure you read each document, tutorial and readme, start to finish. Don't skip anything, as you are likely to miss something vital. And although it can be a chore, go back and read it again. There is a vast amount of information, and I found that reading it once is not enough. All the information you need is there, but it is easy to forget something. I keep a window open with the tutorial displayed when I'm embarking on something new.Keep trying, when it gets going it truly is worth all the effort.Best of luck.Bruce.

Guest 767simfan2

Bruce and all,Can someone PLEASE help me? This is what's going on ;I think that I'm getting real close to using VATSIM. Each time I start up I go through the FSUIPC "register an application" process and that seems to eliminate any error message with the squawkbox startup.I then use the SBHost to file a plan and double-click onto the local ATC freq. Now what? I try using the key that I assigned on the AVC menu to voice communication. Is there some visual indication when a mic is keyed? I never hear anything back. (I always confirm local ATC is on-line through ServInfo. . .before logging on)I've tried to manually start AVC. I always get a "authentication failed" message. It goes on to say "Your callsign was not found! You need to log onto a VATSIM server before joining a voice channel."I'm not really sure what they are talking about here. I've changed my callsign with FS and Squawkbox. And, am I not already logged onto a VATSIM server after I start Squawkbox?I've gone through the PRC AVC intall tutorial several times, along with the AVC adobe user guide. I think I've done everything properly in setting AVC up.Some additional info is that when I start AVC it gives a "Connected!" message before the "authentication failed" message. Also, there seems to be a default server listed in the connect line but the large window below that is always blank. (The picture in the AVC adobe user's guide showed a list of servers filling the large window.)Can anyone help me? As always, any suggestions at this point are sincerely appreciated.