Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

Mike Stone.....question

Mike, I think I e-mailed you several times on this. I KNOW you get tons of it so it might have gotten lost in the shuffle. I have now deleted any other 727's in my stable except for yours. Lots of great Delta repaints now..plus mine :) I was wondering if its possible to change the texture on the wheels to something more worn looking. Heres my idea.....did it with ascreenie and a piece of texture from some airliner wheel I have. http://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/72weel.jpgI like the realistic worn look, and think this would add a lot to this fabulous model. I'm just guessing others would like it too. Is this a big pain or is it something not too difficult?By the way, If your working on the 757....I FLY THEM FOR A LIVING :)Just thinking of the flight test stuff. Thanks a bunch again for this fine jet.Hornit

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just curious...and this also goes to those who complained about the size of the wheels...What difference does it make? How long do you look at the wheels when you are flying? It seems to me that this is just about the most minor issue that someone might bring up about an aircraft. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this. The wheels aren't worn? Why care? They are retracted shortly after takeoff, and brought down shortly before landing. What's the big deal with that, especially asking the creator of the aircraft to correct it?

Uhhhh...some of us (and our Son's that are airplane freaks too!) actually spend a lot of time just viewing our models...walking all around them...oohing and ahhing.....and we watch from outside the takeoff roll....the rotation, the gear and flaps retraction....And even the little things matter...that's what seperates the good ones from the outstanding ones. Except on delivery day (I work at Boeing and have seen more then a couple the last 16 years) they (aircraft) are dirty. Some places are always dirty!Cheers!

I am making NO criticism's here. There is nothing wrong with the textures as they are. A lot of us DO fly in spot plane view and things like this add greatly to the realism IMHO. Its just my opinion that this great model could be improved. If Mike doesn't want to do it thats fine with me too. What harm is done by asking? I think you need to chill a bit and stop seeing these posts as criticism, I don't think Mike sees it this way either. Take for instance the very nice Beech 18 that was just put out by Gregg Pepper. Its a great model and I thouroughly enjoy flying it. Some folks had a few VERY MINOR issues with it and Gregg promptly put out a patch to make it even that much better. I saw that as a very constructive issue and Gregg handled it very well. I see nothing different here. Mike responded very professionally to the wheel issue and his model was improved greatly by it IMHO. Its the mark of a great design when it gets so much attention, I should think he would be flattered by it.I have done no less than 5 repaints of this aircraft alone because I think its that good. I have done many repaints and a few scenery add-ons, and I am always amenable to criticism. Its what makes these freeware add-ons so good. Hornit

Jetninja,"Uhhhh...some of us actually spend a lot of time just viewing our models...walking all around them...oohing and ahhing.....and we watch from outside the takeoff roll....the rotation, the gear and flaps retraction...."Uhhhh...I realize that much. As I stated, I just can't see how the fact that the wheels may look "worn" or a little too big, makes a difference in a model that you got for free. Maybe it's just me, and in this case I would not be as demanding as you are.Hornit...>I am making NO criticism's here. There is nothing wrong >with the textures as they are.Then why bring it up?>A lot of us DO fly in spot >plane view and things like this add greatly to the realism >IMHO. Its just my opinion that this great model could be >improved. If Mike doesn't want to do it thats fine with me >too. What harm is done by asking?I fly in spot plane view also, but I'm too busy getting the plane properly into the air to worry about what the wheels look like, especially since they are retracted so relatively quickly. If M. Stone has no problem correcting these minor issues, then fine. I just think that this incessant insistance on realism has gone beyond what can realistically be expected, or demanded. Wouldn't it be better to give him the time to get his next plane out than having him have to cover all these "realistic" issues? Again, if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that is his decision.>I think you need to chill a bit and stop seeing these posts >as criticism, I don't think Mike sees it this way either. I don't need you to tell me whether I need to "chill" or not. I call them as I see them. Again, if he wants to take the time to correct what *you* see as wrong, he will. That is HIS decision. Not yours, not mine.>Take for instance the very nice Beech 18 that was just put >out by Gregg Pepper.>I see nothing different here. Of course you wouldn't. But none of those complaints had to do with what the wheels looked like, so that doesn't really apply.>I have done no less than 5 repaints of this aircraft alone >because I think its that good. Except for the wheels.>I have done many repaints and a few scenery add-ons, and I >am always amenable to criticism. Its what makes these >freeware add-ons so good. Congratulations on your repaints and scenery add-ons, but you weren't very amenable to my criticisms of your post, were you?What's the difference?

The Shiney clean wheelsThese are down to me completlyI was so waiting for this Beautiful aircraft ,and around his house Everyday "is it ready yet" ......."is it ready yet"......he got real mad with me and said "look anniette ,why you not go and wash the wheels or something !!!!" well I took him at his word and washed them good ,infact SO good no matter what he did he could NOT get them dirty again ......."thanks alot anniette" he said "NOW i am gonna get a whole lot of complaints from people who like dirty wheels !!!!"So I AM to blame it is true et Voila !Anniette xxxxxxx

Anniete!!!! It was YOU!!! Oh my...:) Edam, I think I made it clear earlier that I just had a request of the modeler. I'm not demanding anything. As a matter of fact, I think Im politely asking. If you took it another way than thats your perogative. Just because something is free doesn't stop me from asking simple questions about it or its features.>"If M. Stone has no problem correcting these minor issues, then >fine. I just think that this incessant insistance on realism has >gone beyond what can realistically be expected, or demanded. Incessant?? I beg to differ, Ive made approximately two posts about this and commented on one or two others since this model hit the streets. Far from incessant:) >Wouldn't it be better to give him the time to get his next plane out >than having him have to cover all these "realistic" issues? Again, >if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that >is his decision." Well thats exactly my point, If Mike decides not to do it then fine. If he DOES decide to do this then I'm that much happier about his fine work. What difference does it make to you??>Take for instance the very nice Beech 18 that was just put >out by Gregg Pepper.>I see nothing different here. >Of course you wouldn't. But none of those complaints had to do with >what the wheels looked like, so that doesn't really apply. No they had to do with several other issues that OTHER folks thought could be improved and Gregg obliged. I honestly don't see what is so wrong with that. Simple exchange of ideas and opinions and an agreement was made, amicably I might add.>I have done no less than 5 repaints of this aircraft alone >because I think its that good. >Except for the wheels. So what? Heh, Mike decided to change it and thats a good thing. If you liked it before than thats fine too.>I have done many repaints and a few scenery add-ons, and I >am always amenable to criticism. Its what makes these >freeware add-ons so good. >Congratulations on your repaints and scenery add-ons, but you >weren't very amenable to my criticisms of your post, were you? Personally I don't think its any of your business. If your happy with things as they are than thats great. I'm just making a simple request, If it's denied, I understand. I truly see no harm in the asking. I can handle the consequences without defaming Mike or attacking his work. I'm an adult about all this stuff, after all its just a hobby. I really don't see why your making such a big issue out of it actually.Hornit

NICE, if you find a way to implement them to the model all full of brake dust send them via email so I can implement them on my 27.walicea1@san.rr.comThanks,Bill

Hey Bill you like Tristar I see,Just to let you know I shall be painting Tristars pretty soon :)Alpha xxxxxxx

I think its just some texture assigning in the gmax model but honestly I don't know. I tried to mess with gmax and got very frustrated:) Im pretty adept at making hangars, buildings, or a house, but curvy aircraft are out of my league at this point.I have always been in awe of guys who could do this work and make it into something pleasing, its really a form of art.hornit

> I think I made it clear earlier that I just had a request >of the modeler. I'm not demanding anything. As a matter of >fact, I think Im politely asking. If you took it another way >than thats your perogative. Just because something is free >doesn't stop me from asking simple questions about it or its >features. Gee, thanks for allowing me to have a perogative. > Incessant?? I beg to differ, Ive made approximately two >posts about this and commented on one or two others since >this model hit the streets. Far from incessant:) I was talking about ALL of the demands made upon freeware designers by all that do so, although that may not have been clear.> Well thats exactly my point, If Mike decides not to do it >then fine. If he DOES decide to do this then I'm that much >happier about his fine work. What difference does it make to >you?? None, except that I have noticed that a lot of these freeware designers get a lot of crap. Perhaps it would have better for you to ask for your request privately, that's all. Get my drift?> No they had to do with several other issues that OTHER >folks thought could be improved and Gregg obliged. I >honestly don't see what is so wrong with that. Simple >exchange of ideas and opinions and an agreement was made, >amicably I might add. I didn't say that there was anything wrong with that, did I? I said, "Again, if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that is his decision."> So what? Heh, Mike decided to change it and thats a good >thing. If you liked it before than thats fine too. "Again, if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that is his decision."> Personally I don't think its any of your business. If your >happy with things as they are than thats great. I'm just >making a simple request, If it's denied, I understand. I >truly see no harm in the asking. I can handle the >consequences without defaming Mike or attacking his work. >I'm an adult about all this stuff, after all its just a >hobby. I really don't see why your making such a big issue >out of it actually. Posting it on a public forum made it the business of everyone here. And yes, I am happy with things as they are, if not I delete them, but not if it's a simple issue as to the appearance of the wheels.Beyond that, I am giving my OPINION. If you consider that a "big issue," and that people shouldn't do so simply because they disagree with you, then YOU are making a big issue of it.I've said all that I intend to. You can have the last word.

>I have noticed that a lot of these >freeware designers get a lot of crap. Perhaps it would have >better for you to ask for your request privately, that's >all. Get my drift? I wouldn't call what Im doing a load of crap. I know the kind of crap these guys deal with. My simple requests are far from the deruagatory comments and demands made of these guys. I have had nothing but praise for Mike and his efforts, constructive criticism is not crap.I really don't see why your making such a big issue >>out of it actually. >>Posting it on a public forum made it the business of >everyone here. And yes, I am happy with things as they are, >if not I delete them, but not if it's a simple issue as to >the appearance of the wheels. Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it as I am mine.>Beyond that, I am giving my OPINION. If you consider that a >"big issue," and that people shouldn't do so simply because >they disagree with you, then YOU are making a big issue of >it. I only consider it a "big issue" when people like you get screwed into the overhead and make judgements about others based on your emotions. You could have posted exactly what you have in a totally different and mature fashion but your the one who chose to beadversarial. Your free to show any opinion you want but when its a judgement about others, especially me, then Im not going to let you get away with it, especially when its so obviously flawed. >I've said all that I intend to. You can have the last word. Thanks, I always get the last word.Hornit

Just to change the subject - I have not done a Delta version of Mike's B727 (with the new wheels) I might have a tinker with it and shine one up for you to have some flying pleasure with.This is indeed an great aircraft for texturing and I have revamped Mike's original 5 plus added a few others - might do a shiny Delta next.....RegardsGarry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.comAircraft Texture Tinkererhttp://www.gjsmith.com/images/GJS-banner.gif

I have few repaints in the libray here for the old colors. You could use these and make 'em shiny if you like, should be easy :) By the way, the Goose, has to be your best yet, simply awesome!hornit

Just read Mike's post about a vacation, sorry to see that, all you have to so is say NO Mike...simple really.Hornit

Edam,You have well said what I'm thinking.Hornit - put out the textures. You've already changed them, so why are you demanding Mike does?JET - get ahold of Photoshop, learn to repaint. Get ahold of gMAX, learn to make your own.I'm tired of this crap - nitpicking the tiniest little thing. If you want to compain to something, complain to Microsoft about FS - not the FREEWARE authors whom owe you nothing.Thanks a lot guys. I don't blame Mike for giving up for one second. You all just take the cake.

Scott, Believe me I would If I could. It has to be done in gmax, Im not familiar enough to do it yet. I didnt demand anything...sheesh. All I did was ask. I have not recieved a reply. The model doesn't support textures for the wheels, they are part of the model. I have done no complaining, I never said his model sucks or its wrong, I have praised him about it. I just asked to have a simple change is all. If he doesn't want to do it then fine. Lighten up. Mike is a big boy and if this is his decision then fine. I find it hard to believe that my simple little request was taken as criticism or a demand. It wans't meant that way. Grow up and get off the high horse. Hornit

Surprised myself that Mike hired himself a watchdog! LOL! Kidding!!!!!All joking aside, I see nothing but a request from Hornit, and as someone whom pilots these beasts he might be a tad qualified to judge if it came to that!If your going to bare yourself by releasing products, even freeware...get used to some critisism...that's par for the field. Agreed some people go out of there way to ##### others off, I run several forums myself for a number of years now....I've seen it happen a number of times. But simple requests or even creative critiques are just that. And if your a designer/painter/etc...you can take them as intended, and possibly learn from it (though we are all perfect...yeah right!) or if he/she does'nt agree, say so! Overall we're big people, we can handle a no. And most of us understand the truely talented ones get hit up endlessly with requests....Good idea on the Brake dust...cept the tire smoke would hide it...something to save for my Racing Buddies though! :D (F1-2002/GPL)My general critique...IMO most, not all...of the releases I see every day are too clean. We talk of wanting it as real as it can be...well take a walk at an airport, I see lots of dirty, dull, leaking, aircraft everyday as I eat lunch watching heavies, GA, Business, rentals, etc takeoff-land-fly 200' in front of me. (work at KLGB..C-17 Program!) Have to say the cleanest are the Business Jets, helps we have a Gulfstream Center here...but even the Citations and others are pretty clean most the time. :DAnd all this Chrome is bugging me a little (sorry Gary, still love your work dude!!!!)...there's a difference between Polished Aluminum (which is popular in Aircraft for many reasons) and Chrome. (which is pretty non-existent in Aircraft except in trim pieces) But they are pretty! :DShould be interesting when Mike runs into this thread! LOL!Oh well, we are all here to have fun. Think I'll go fly now. He He...Cheers!

I'm not going to get drawn into a debate on this. It's pointless. But I did want to point out that Hornits post had no influence on my decision, it was already made and in fact I wrote my note before I even saw his post. Hornit, I'm sorry for any grief this is causing, but I hope you see my viewpoint. Yes I'm a big boy, and I can just say no. But you have NO idea how I (and others like me) get barraged. In the time it took me to post my note I got two more complaints. One saying that the landing gear door on the 727 is the wrong shape with a photo to prove it. Nuff said.Mike Stone

OMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? (only you can guess what A stands for!!!)(Shaking his head in digust!!!) :-xxrotflmaoSorry Mike, this .... this....this is.. ahhhhhh!!! Read my post in your vacation thread!!Laterhttp://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Mike, Believe me Im sorry. I'll drop it, it really is no big deal. I do understand where your coming from though. I do a lot of stuff for some other sims and I DO know what you mean. A few years back I did a lot of scale aircraft modeling (plastic) to some very high standards. I made a name for myself and got lots of requests etc to do things. I got paid sometimes so it made it nice, but I rapidly got burned out due to always trying to cater to someones requests for things I lost enthusiasm for it. I'm back doing it again, but I do it for myself and I enjoy it a LOT more now. Take your time and don't be a stranger in here, contrary to what some might think I'm thinking....:) You do GREAT work, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Sorry If I contributed, I thought I was above that level.hornit

Hornit,Perhaps you are the one who needs to grow up with innane comments like that "Lighten Up" and "Get off your high horse" nonsense.You know I generally have respect for you, and those comments are not your norm.Mike gave you his response, so I'll leave it at that.

You know, perhaps it's wise to just relax here a minute.Ever since Mike posted his first note about being harassed for perceived imperfections in his models, a sudden psychosis in the community has appeared.Anniette was next to tell her experiences. Rick Sasala and Garry J Smith also testified to what Mike and Anniette were saying. Several other designers spoke up too. Didn't Simubuild fold under the same pressures?As much as I believe Hornit's sincerity in asking Mike about a detail potential he was thinnking was possible, it probably wasn't the right time.Most of us are upset that our prolific designers and repainters are suffering, and there is little we can do to support them from our PC monitor screens except to write notes. I feel inadequate doing that.I want to go outside and do some damage to those harrassing our friends!Be that as it may!And we all have a vested interest in keeping our designers and painters happy, too. We're looking at BURN-OUT!And it's true. Who among us wouldn't say that maybe we're spoiled. After all, it's been less than a year since 2002 arrived with new toys like GMAX and VCs. These folks in our community have given us sooooo many gifts to enhance our fun.Maybe we should just put the auto-pilot on for awhile and bank left away from ugly clouds.Just my humble opinion. Sorry about any soapbox.Rick

Mike,As a person that has, at times, received a great deal of negative email for one reason or another, just let me comment that for every negative posting or email you receive, there are easily a hundred or more individuals that feel just the opposite, me for one. Your aircraft designs are really terrific and I know absolutely that there are litterly thousands of individuals that have been impressed and greatly entertained with and from your work. I wouldn't put to much to those that complain about this detail or that detail, because there simply are some individuals that will complain about anything rather than look at the good side of it. Those same people would probably complain about winning the California Lottery, right after they discovered that they personally had to go to Sacramento to pick up their newly won millions, go figure!Considering that you have been releasing one outstanding aircraft after another for some time now, its no wonder you want to take some time away, I feel the same about my monthly feature (Bear's Picks), because downloading (I'm stuck with a 56K modem), installing, testing, and evaluating 100s of files each and every month also gets a bit tedious at times and I haven't had the chance to catch my breath for nearly 2 years now. Some day I would like to get serious and do some flying (simming) for myself, but as long as I have those monthly picks to do, that possibility is highly unlikely.Bear!