Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaapverduijn

GeForce4

Hi,I really need somebodies help... I just got 2 best buy gift certificates, and I'm planning on buying a GeForce 4. I have 60 bucks with the cards, and I'm willing to pay 40 more... what i'm finding is the GeForce4 (64mb) SDRAM is $99.99, which is perfect, but one of my friends told me a DDR is better(179.99). the difference is the AGP SDRAM has 31million polygons per second, and the AGP DDR has 116million... by just looking at the numbers i know the DDR is better... considering FS2002, has anyone tried both? or does anyone know the difference i will get from a DDR and SDRAM in FS2002(fps). i'm currently using a intel chipset... The things i'm looking for are better graphics and +15fps. on a 733mhz and 128mb.Thanks,Alp.s. I never got a chance to buy a GF2 64mb because i got busy with so many things, and now that i have 2 gift cards i really would like a 64mb GF4.

Hi there.If its the mx version I wouldnt get it as theres problems with them and Fs2002...so either get the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 or get a geforce 3 TI500...Im sure others here will back me up on this one.Craig Kiltie

I just bought a Geforce 4 TI 4400 from Best Buy and am very happy with it. It has the 128 mb ram and it makes a noticeable difference over my old Geforce 2 mx 400.KP

Thanks a lot guys for the quick replies...I was just at the Bestbuy.com site, and i checked out the ATI cards... can i get some opinions on the ATI all in wonder 7500, DDR 64mb, and 41million polygons... i just read another post that said that ATI cards have problems with drivers... can someone, if possible, with the a ATI7500 post a pic, thanks again guys!Al

I had a Radeon 7500 and wouldn't really recommend it. It's performance is somewhere between a Geforce 2 and Geforce 3. If you're looking at a Geforce 4 for $99 it's gotta be one of the Geforce 4 MX cards, which perform about equal with a Geforce 2...which is to say, not that good. Save up another $50 if you have to and get a REAL Geforce 4 (ti4200, ti44 or ti4600). They blow the "glorified Geforce 2" model Geforce 4 MX cards out of the water.You should be able to find a nice Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb for $130-150 or so. That's about the lowest you can expect to see a good performing video card for really IMHO. Anything less is old technology.I have a Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4200 128mb Gold Sample I got from www.newegg.com for $170 and love it. Very nice performance (I score 10k+ on MadOnion's 3DMark 2001 SE).

Al:FS2002 doesn't really care about your video card because it uses very few of the functions. Your biggest rise in performance will be attributed to your CPU and memory.Truthfully, on your rig you are not going to get a consistant +15fps no matter what video card you get unless you turn your sliders down and stay out of extremely detailed scenery with lots of AI. In that case you can get +15fps with your current rig.So with all that said, I would get the SDRAM GeForce and save yourself the aggrevation and heartache. If you guy the DDR version and spend the extra cash, in FS2002 you will see no more than a 5fps rise. Realize that this does not translate across the board because if you play other games that actually offload the graphics to the GPU then you will get wonderful frame rates. FS2002 doesn't offload very much to the GPU at all so your only advantage will be the difference in polygon fill rates which simply doesn't get you much with FS2002. FS2002 wants raw CPU power and memory and lots of it.Case in point: With my old rig of 2.0Ghz P4 and 512MB of RAM and GeForce4 Ti 4600 (a kick ##### rig for 99% of all games an a 3DMark Score of 10,500), in dense scenery I would be knocked down to 4fps in many cases. This made landing at my favorite dense airport a slide show. I even replaced the Ti4600 with a ATI Radeon 9700 and got an average of 3 fpts more.When I upgraded to my P4 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3.2Ghz FS2002 (3Dmark score of 17,800) with the Radeon 9700, FS2002 NEVER gets below 15fps under any circumstances (well if I have non FS2002 optimized AI traffic I get down to 10fps). FS2002 has taken on the fluidity and frame rates of a Level D sim.The bottom line. You will not realize your +15fps with any MX card for sure. If you at least want to go for a few more fps and more fluidity then you should save your money and get a true GF4 card (non MX). OR you could just same even more money and upgrade your CPU to a P4 or AMD XP chip and realize even more performance. Personally, if I had $100 to spend and could scrape together a little more, I would get the the FASTEST AMD XP chip and Mobo I could find for the money and slap it into my machine. At least then you'd have a chance.Regards,Mike T.

Once again thanks a lot guys i appraciate your help...I'm gonna check with Best Buy and see if i can return my card if it doesn't work out... i doubt, specially if i will need to remove my intel chipset... this whole thing is giving me a headache, but FS2002 deserves a lot ;).Thanks guys,Al

Wait a month or so and use you gift certificates towards an NV30 from Nvidia. It is supposed to blow the socks off ANYTHING out now. I'm in the same situation as you and I'm waiting.:)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Go for the GF4Ti4200.. it is worth the extra $50! ...and it will work well into the future..You really should also put in another 128 Meg of RAM...I know, it does add up..

Bert

Be careful to purchase only G4 cards with numbers 4200, 4400 or 4600. Nvidia pulled a fast one about 18 months ago, releasing G4 400 series cards that were in fact, re-works of the G2 technology. Fortunately, there are many hardware review sites on the Internet (Mikes Hardware Site is a good one) that can help you steer cleer of little marketing gimmicks like the 400 series. The best value in my humble opinion is the 4200, with exceptional performance for about $160 t $170 with 28 megs. I have one and saw dramatic image improvement from my G2 64 mg card. Best, Colin

Guest jaapverduijn

Coupla days ago I replaced my GeForce 3 TI200 (AOpen) with a GeForce 4 TI4400 128Mb DDR (Jaton). Holland not being the cheapest place to buy these things, I paid about 330 euro for it, but I'm happy! I run FS2002 in stereo (EDimensional 3D), which eats frame rates. My favorite plane is the MAAM R4D which is a hungry frame rate eater too. Due to monitor limitations (good 3D with the EDimensional glasses needs 120 Hz refresh) I run FS2002 in 1024x768, and with my previous card I got a steady 20 - 22 fps flying the R4D without anti-aliasing. Applying AA would bring the frames down to about 13 or 14. With the new card I run quincunx AA, and get the same frame rates (about 20 to 22) WITH AA as I had WITHOUT AA before. Considering that using the EDimensional glasses actually SHARPENS the image (makes it look higher in resolution than it actually is...!), right now I've got a splendid threedimensional screen in front of me, without jaggies and with a quite acceptable frame rate! Other aircraft that are less frame rate hungry, run in the high twenties or the low thirties. I'm very happy with my new GeForce TI4400 which, by the way, I immediately overclocked by about 10 percent without the slightest problem. She's an expensive #####, but considering the severe limitations of my CPU (a Celeron 1000... don't laugh!), I am pleasantly surprised at the great results she manages to wring out of my medium-to-low-end rig!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest jaapverduijn

Oh my god, some language police software replaced an (in my country, and in the kind of "trade" English we speak in most of Europe) perfectly innocent word with the infamous "#####". Could the moderator of this forum please reply to me here with a little list of "forbidden" words, so that in future I know what weird hang-ups and linguistic long toes need to be respected here? In fact the word that was filtered out, is a perfect and very normal one to describe myself. I don't enjoy being despised by software in such a way that even a description of myself is unacceptable on a forum I visit (sad grin)...Jaap Verduijn.