Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kiwi75

Squared cloud patterns

Guest Kiwi75

Hi everyone!I've noticed lately the appearance of overcast clouds in squared patterns as seen in the attached image. Moreover, my fps drop dramatically until this weather changes.I'm using FSUIPC 3.40 and online weather updates. I can't remember correctly, but I have the impression that the first time I noticed this was when I installed fsuipc 3.40. Can't be sure though.Any ideas?Here's my as2004.ini//AS2004.5 configuration file B147[General]WindowPosX = 3615WindowPosY = 4665DefaultWeatherFolder = D:Flight Simulator 9ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 4000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 4LocalSuppressionRange = 100MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 50LastPlanFolder = NONEIncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = TrueExtendTstormLayers = FalseDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = 2AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 0TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = FalseStartPaused = FalseUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEThanks in advanceBest regardsKostishttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/99327.jpg

Guest r1y2m

Turn Visibility Smoothing off on AS and FSUIPC and the clouds go back to normal. At least for me.Brian

Hi All,I too have had the cloud patterns as shown, and I have only just loaded on the FSW clouds. I have never had this effect before so it must be related to the FSW cloud sets it would seem. I will try turning off the visiblity smoothing as Brian has suggested, and report back if I see them again.Cheers Drayton

Hi, From what's I have seen this is a overcast stratus, with some cumulus between them, fsw clouds won't create this problems, it is a modeled clouds formation in fs2004 which appears like this.Using the overcast.zip hack from the library, can cause this issue, since it replace cirrus clouds for cumulus overcast and create square pattern in the sky.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Guest Kiwi75

OK. I didn't mean to start an arguement between the AS and FSW groups :), but I would still be interested in the outcome ;) .I haven't downloaded overcast.zip or any other cloud enhancement textures apart from FSW but as I said earlier, I've never had any problems with overcast weather and the FSW cloud set.For the time being, I will turn visibility smoothing off, try to find a similar weather condition and compare the results.

Guest 320MAD

Hi there,I don't think this is anything to do with AS or FSW clouds either! I have seen this using the standard FS clouds and without installing any hacks at all! It must be something to do with the way FS renders clouds.320MAD

Hi all,Search a bit back - I've posted on this before. The problem is that FS is trying to render a stratus or cirrus layer on top of a cumulus layer (which may extend into each other). The cumulus layer cloud model in question (some do this, some don't - FS has many different random cloud model definitions) isn't properly designed to handle blending with adjacent area "blocks" in such configuration. This is one of those few remaining issues left with FS cloud rendering that we are still working on :) We are working with Chris closely to use advanced cloud models and selection techniques which will prevent this kind of thing.