Sign in to follow this  

strange-video card performance answer?

Well.. it did not work for me (ti4600).. BUT, I decided to experiment after reading about multiple entries after a driver update (did that last week), so I deleted the second entry entirely, and everything associated with it (which was only one thing.. screen resolution).Restarted sim and without a doubt, I had an extra 2 or 3 fps in the cockpit at default seattle, all sliders maxed.Not bad. Good find!Vinhttp://www.vinscimone.com/dancnkid.gif

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Ok Im using WIN98se here and what I have found is that if I make this change, once i run the sim it will just rewrite the line back into the fs9.cfg from before, so i will have two lines, the one I changed and the rewritten one with my card showing as prior to the fix. There is NO line in my display.cfg for a GF4 with 9x/ME drivers. i think 98 users are exempt from this particular setting. having tried a few other card entries it did reset my settings in game but I saw no, repeat, no frame rate differences there. This is probably card and OS specific tweak I am thinking.Anyway I reinstalled the sim last night after a good system cleaning and a defrag/scandisk and I may just quit tweaking at this point:)Hornit

Guest SoarPics

Bruce wrote:"What is the entry in display.cfg for the 9800 (if any)? If none, then it might pay to create the exact same entry in fs9.cfg as another similar ATI card in display.cfg (and pick the one that matches your OS)."There is no entry for the 9800 per se, Bruce, but I see no reason why you couldn't create one in the display.cfg. This is the section for the 9700 Pro:;----------------------------------------------------------------------; ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 2k/XP;----------------------------------------------------------------------[00001002:00004E44:ati2dvag.dll]Disable=1[00001002:00004E44:ati2dvag.dll.1]MinDriverRev=6.14.0001.6307Disable=2The "00001002" is the device manufacturer("1002" is ATI), so that won't change. You will have to go into your registry to find the model code (in this case 4E44 denotes the 9700 Pro). The "ati2dvag.dll" won't change, and the "MinDriverRev=" section denotes the minimum driver level for your card. That driver level can be attained from the driver section of your ATI installation CD.You could probably try the section I've shown above as it is, just change the device code (4E44) to match the 9800's code from your registry. Of course, you'll also want to change the header address from "9700" to "9800".Hope this helps,

Guest Bob Z

First, much thanks to Chris and Bart for the clouds and autogen textures. They help tremendously.This is my first post but I have read or at least scanned most of the posts dating back to about the middle of July. This is a busy board.Display.cfg:I noticed the same thing about the display.cfg entries. They do have the comment character (;). So I'm not sure about this either, but I was not able to any testing since my card already does have an entry.However, one thing that I did notice is that some of the dll's listed in display.cfg are what I think are Win/ME dll's with no corresponding XP dll. I have a GeForce2 MX400 (yes indeed) with Win/XP and the 45.23 driver.In my case, the entry for GeForce2 MX400 in display.cfg lists the dll as nvdd32.dll. This dll is not on my system and I suspect it is a Win/ME dll, but I don't know this for a fact. In the Device Manager Driver Details entry for my display adapter the nv4_disp.dll is listed so I changed the two entries for GeForce2 in display.cfg to nv4_disp.dll and nv4_disp.dll.1.There appears to be a performance improvement. The FPS went from about 9 to about 12 while circling around NY city at 2000 feet and runs much smoother. Away from the cities I can get about 22. Most of my sliders are set quite high or maxed and I am not giving up on Mip 7 or 8 yet so the FPS could be higher.Anyone with a GeForce2 running XP and v45.23 driver take a look at their entry in display.cfg and see if changing it to nv4_disp.dll and nv4_disp.dll.1 makes any difference. There also may be other entries of the same ilk in display.cfg. For instance the 9700 entries mentioned in another post have two different dll entries.You can find the proper display.cfg entry for your particular card by doing Start/Run, key in MSINFO32 (enter) and open up the Components/Display lines. The vendor (Ven_) and device (Dev_) values correspond to the bracketed entry in display.cfg.

I have fiddled with this a bit.If I change the device setting in the FS9.cfg, the sim will load defaulted to 800x600x16 and bilinear filtering. When I Change the resolution and filtering back to my preferred, then the sim writes a new device line (same as the old one) back into the fs9.cfg. Once I load the sim again, it will use the new device line, and ignore the one that is farther up the config.I would suspect that this works the same way for everyone else, so I have to wonder at the performance improvements people are reporting. Is it just because they are running at 800x600 now and haven't noticed? What happens when they change their resolution and then close/reload FS9?Has anyone reporting these improvements actually gone back and forth between config files using a definitive benchmark (i.e. loading an autopilot flight and using FRAPS to find the avarage fps?)

>Q) Where is the configuration file now located?>>A) It will be located in your personal Application Data>folder. On Windows 2000/XP systems, this is located in>Documents and SettingsApplication>DataMicrosoftFS9FS9.cfg (for Windows 9x users the path is>WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftFS9fs9.cfg). The>Application Data folder is hidden, so you will need to enable>viewing of hidden files/folders under the Folder Options in>your Explorer>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpgThere is no FS9 folder or FS9.cfg file in the XP Documents and settingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoft folder. At what point in the installation process is the fs9.cfg file supposed to be created? A search for fs9.cfg came up empty.FS2004 on my computer gets as far as aircraft on the runway in cockpit view and almost immediately shells out with an error message and closes back to the desktop.Athlon 1.4GHz CPU on VIA Kt133 MoBo, 512K RAM, nVidia geforce2 MMX 400 with Detonator 45.23.Doug Scott

Do you think ATI owners could use a generic call for there drivers as well? The 9800Pro is not listed at all...just the 9700 is??

Eric 

Guest SoarPics

The same thing is happening with my Radeon card... and I see no performance improvement. We'll have to let the nVidia folks explain the changes they're seeing.

Guest Terblanche

Good work Geof... now for the million dollar question: will this be the first step for someone to fix the water reflections with a GF440MX card ...?Would love to have the same reflections back which I had in FS2002.RegardsTPS: My problems will soon be over when the new card gets here in a week or three from now. Until then, I remain hopeful because this card should go in the old machine and would love to see the sun on the water!

Sabadin-I have exactly the same setup as you (XP 1700 and radeon 9500 pro).Following is the text I "think" we are concerned with:*************************************************From FS9.cfg(DISPLAY.Device.RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700.0)Mode=1024x768x32From Display.cfg;--------------------------------------------------; ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 2k/XP;------------------------------------------------------------------(00001002:00004E44:ati2dvag.dll)Disable=1(00001002:00004E44:ati2dvag.dll.1)MinDriverRev=6.14.0001.6307Disable=2*********************************When I replace the FS9.cfg display text string with the text string from the display.cfg I find that FS9 simply puts in a duplicate of the original entry before I made the change. I tried taking out the second entry, but FS9 just puts it right back in. The device description "RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700" that I'm trying to replace is exactly as shown in the WinXP device manager.Can you confirm that you are not getting a second display section in your FS9.cfg? Also, what shows up on your XP device manager under display devices? Since our systems are "identical" I don't understand why you should be able to use the "fix" but I can't.Thanks,

After browsing around, I found the config file and am still experimenting. It seems no matter what I attempt to change, the program still shells out to the error window. Looking at details, each time I get a different .dll and offset result. Does that mean the application extensions are not well mannered and are stepping on memory toes?Thanx,Doug Scott

Guest Bilbo

Hi, I have the NVIDIA GeForce2 MXand tried this fix with a good increase in FPS but it does revert to 800X600X16 as you suggested. If I go back to 800X600X32 then I get the slower frames. I also noticed that it re-added the old display FS9.cfg entry as you had suggested. What I'm now trying is to place my card's entry in the devices.cfg like below and adding the variables from the DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XPsection to my made up a new section for my card. This seems to keep it at 32bit for me.I;----------------------------------------------------------------------; NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400.0;----------------------------------------------------------------------[nv4_disp.dll]Disable=1 //1[nv4_disp.dll.1]MinDriverRev=5.13.01.1241Disable=2 //2Still experimenting but I think that we are on to something for the NVidea users,Bilbo

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

OK Geofa,let's see...in my FS9.cfg i have two entries for display adapter; now can readMode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1Mode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1If i edit both entries as shownMode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1Mode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1After exited last FS2004 session FS9.cfg looks as belowMode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1Mode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1Mode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1In FS2004 Display confighardware page my display device is seen as NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200.0 and cannot edit.Another observation, i'm sticking with Det's 30.82 best performers on my pc. I noticed in display.cfg;----------------------------------------------------------------------; NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XP;----------------------------------------------------------------------Disable=1MinDriverRev=5.13.01.1241Disable=2What do you think? i.e. what should i do?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Guest FlyerNL

>Bruce wrote:>You will have to go into your registry to>find the model code (in this case 4E44 denotes the 9700 Pro).>Could you tell me where to find that code in the registry. I have no idea where I could find such code...Regards,FlyerNL

Guest TOMCAT

Hello Luigi, hello everyone,though I'm not Geof, I'm just supplying some additional information:Luigi, do you have dual monitor support enabled (w/ NView utility)? Those lines saying 4200 and 4200.0 do look pretty much like my old Matrox .cfg-entries for the G 400 MAX. Don't know if that might be messing up things and create those double entries.And anyway, after several reboots my FS9.cfg still states :DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XPMode=1152x864x32TriLinear=1Nothing else, no Ti4200-entries of any kind even after changing resolution, colour depth and filtering mode.Regards, Thomas :-wave