Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

Pro Flight Yoke & Throttle

Guest Pilot533

IS the saitek yoke and throttle any better than th ch yoke, Iv ebeen having some issues with it not being ver smooth and I have never been that impressed with the ch stuff, is this any better?

In my opinion yes, I went from CH Yoke to the Saitek Yoke and throttle setup because my old yoke was starting to wear out. The throttle quadrandts are worth their weight in gold as it doesn't cost much to buy a second one thus giving the user easy access to four engine operation. Setup is easy and the Yoke is just nicer to use, it feels more fluid and conforms to whatever aicraft you want to use with it. Built in on the front is a clock and stopwatch which is a real nice addition and adds a lot ot the quality of this entire product and when you look at the price its very competitive.

>>Can anyone tell me what the Mode 1,2, > & 3 are for. How do I use the Modes?>ThanksIn simplest terms it's nothing more than a switch with 3 positions.However, using the SST software or FSUIPC you can use it as a modal switch (i.e mode 1=Flight, mode 2=Landing, Mode 3=GPS) where all your switches on your controller can be configured for a seperate function in each mode (i.e. Button 1 can have a specific function for mode 1, another function for mode 2 and yet another function for mode 3). Hope this helps to explain it. ;)

Good info, thanks.I saw a shipping box in the garage the other day still sealed with "Saitek" tape. Hmmm, wonder what I got for Christmas, LOL? :-ukliamKnowing my wife though, she's just playing another cruel joke, LOL... :-vuurCan you compare the Saitek software to the CH software? I will probably use the Saitek software along with FSUIPC (reg'd) just like I do now with CH software, but the two extra layers of modal buttons sound interesting indeed.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

jordanal,Just a suggestion, if you have the registered version of FSUIPC, I wouldn't even bother bother with the SST software. I haven't even bothered to load it. You can do anything you would ever imagine within FSUIPC plus you can make aircraft specific configs.

I agree. I only installed Saitek drivers (without SST) for the yoke and all is well.How does it compare to CH? Well, I must say I like it a lot. I have a Pro Flight Yoke and an additional TQ. The Saitek seems much more precise than the CH Yoke ever was. Axes are very smooth. There is a center "zone", like a detent of sorts, but that doesn't interfere with smooth movement of the yoke. It is very well made (at least on the outside, LOL) and double TQs with their six BIG levers look impressive. A lot of buttons to play with, too.Setup:FS can be a pain when it comes to joysticks. Assigning axes and buttons by itself and such, so I disabled joystick(s) in FS completely. All axes were assigned in FSUIPC. Buttons are assigned in FSUIPC as well (a few compound buttons, too - works very well).Calibration:All calibration is done through FSUIPC. The yoke itself doesn't have calibration as we're used to, it calibrates itself. I found out that four levers on the two TQs weren't precisely synchronized, so I had to play a bit with the ranges in Win XP Control panel. Worked like a charm.Well, I have a few fs9.cfg and fsuipc.ini files for different kinds of flying and I couldn't be happier. A typical two engine airliner setuplooks like this:- Yoke axes : ailerons, elevators buttons: TO/GA, elevator trim, landing gear, AP toggle, AT disconnect and such- 2 TQs: 1st lever : Spoilers (including arming detent) 2-3 levers: Throttles 4-5 levers: Reverse thrust 6th lever : Flaps buttons: parking brake, Inc/Dec speed, heading, altitude, VS, Autobrake, doors, etc....- CH Rudder pedals: rudder- Saitek X-45 joystick for the Airbus, choppers, Saab Safir and the likeEverything works great, I don't suffer from random button presses, except on a very few occasions. It sometimes happen on approach, parking brakes get set for some reason, but nothing serious. Just leave the Mode switch unassigned and that's it. Regards,Jure

Ahh, very good info and much appreciated. Using my CH accessories for the past five years or so, I have been using the CH manager software for one main purpose. To get a yoke button to be a modal switch to easily double the available buttons presented to FSUIPC. Also using FSUIPC assignments and calibrations for that period of time, I found it easier to do it this way rather than manually writing compound button assignments by hand in the FSCUIPC.ini file. Once these compound statements were assigned, they could not be edited in the FSUPIC GUI.So the question becomes, is the Saitek SST software required to get the modal switches for duplicating (and trippling) the available switches required or is it perhaps in the driver?Thanks all; good thread....

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

Al,She is just holding that Siatek Box for my wife up here @ 50J. So I wont find it before Christmas.

>She is just holding that Siatek Box for my wife up here @ 50J.>So I wont find it before Christmas.:-xxrotflmao Not a chance! :-samurai

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

>>She is just holding that Siatek Box for my wife up here @>50J.>>So I wont find it before Christmas.>>:-xxrotflmao Not a chance! :-samuraiGO Ahead, Ruin my Christmas! :-samurai

You guys just had to be talkin' about the Pro Flight Yoke... didn't ya. I just had to be wandering about the forums and stumbled upon this one. And then I just happened to walk into a local Fry's Electronics store today and see they just got them in stock! Well I bet you can only guess what happened next?"But wait!" I said. What about all those issues happening to users? So I opened a box to check the Serial #'s. So I heard those starting with 048 and even 049 had the issues. Oh-oh... this one starts with an 051. What's this... a friend of mine who works there can get me $30 bucks off the price? That's it, I can't take it any longer. So here I am removing all my CH stuff that has been so loyal over the past few years. But MAN... from what I can just see and feel (still haven't flown yet - in a minute). CH has some SERIOUS competition now. "The King is dead - Long Live the King"!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

OK... Let us know if it worked properly... I'm keeping in close touch with this new product and if the new batch of yokes works fine I will order one!! maybe with Saitek rudder peddies as well (the pedals are generally fine anyway, but some may "pop out" of track and lock...)... my modified sidewinder pedals do OK but are barely inadequate to fly airplanes...http://www.mario.wspilots.com/signature_forum.gifhttp://www.mariopilot.6x.to

signature.jpg

Yea, should have a better report on it by this Thursday as I will be doing a lot of flying , testing, designing with it this week.Just as a little update, I looked up where their offices are in the USA. Ah... they a about 5 miles away from where I'm at. CH used to always let me just pop in to their palnt whenever I had an issue. Maybe Saitek will do the same and check first hand if theiissue is on my yoke. Again, I'll post an update.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

>>>>Can anyone tell me what the Mode 1,2, >>> & 3 are for. How do I use the Modes?>>Thanks>>In simplest terms it's nothing more than a switch with 3>positions.>>However, using the SST software or FSUIPC you can use it as a>modal switch (i.e mode 1=Flight, mode 2=Landing, Mode 3=GPS)>where all your switches on your controller can be configured>for a seperate function in each mode (i.e. Button 1 can have a>specific function for mode 1, another function for mode 2 and>yet another function for mode 3). >>Hope this helps to explain it. ;)Any Idea how to do this using the FSUIPC. I checked it out.. when I change the Mode from1 to 2,I do not see anything on the FSUIPC Menu. When I press a button in mode2, its the same as I press the same button in mode 1. How do I tell FSUIPC to use the mode?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter