Sign in to follow this  
Guest ice1811

St. Louis FS9 Scenery???

Guest ice1811

Does anyone know if any 3rd party developer is planning KSTL. I know Online Simulation Solutions or whatever it was called was doing it, but their website has not had any updates. Or is FSX gonna kill the FS9 add-on future?Thanks!

Well I didn't get to be the first poster in this new forum but at least I'm the first replier. Yay!!!!!!!!!Re your question, no, not that I know of. :)Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

It's still on the books for us and it's in bits and pieces right now. I can't possibly give you a clue as to when it will be done. Right now it's sitting behind KMCI, KLIT, and KOAK.We actually still thinking of both FS9 and FSX releases for all of them, but be flexible on that one as time goes on.In spite of what everyone has been saying about no room for addons in FSX, I don't feel that will apply too much to the scenery side of things because of a couple reasons:1. For FS9 we were truley adding to the sim with outside 'code' and/or tools.2. With FSX alot (not all) of the things are NOW PRESENT, so we should be 'inside the confines' so to speak of FSX, for the most part.3. Lastly, as far as performance goes on the scenery side. 90% of performance comes down to alot of good old fashioned 'poly smoothing' as they say. that means constantly going over and over again your models which you have already done. It also means LOD'ing the heck out of them and making sure the right size textures load for what is needed based on looks and performance.In other words to make it come out good, sometimes when you think you have it done, you don't, and vice versa.Hope that helps somewhat.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest drmweaver2

>Here's a nice freeware version...>http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/gwidup/I have this installed and, as a former resident of the Greater St. Louis area, I think it's great. I fly low and slow out of here every couple days to "relive old times" and look at where I grew up (spent my junior high and freshman in high school years) and used to hang out. Definitely one of my favorite freeware installations.I highly recommend it.

Guest ice1811

I am a transplanted St. Louisan as well, now stuck in NY. Anyway, I do have this scenery and for some reason, it brings my computer to it's knees. I have other more complicated scenery, including payware stuff like Flightscenery that my ol' computer can handle pretty well. There is something in this KSTL scenery that my system just does not like at all.

Hey Ice --- I'm also a St. Louisan (originally from the east side, now in south county) and I've been using Widup's KSTL scenery ever since he released it. I get the fps hit from it as well, but the detail of the scenery makes it worth it to me. Unfortunately, Lambert just isn't a major priority for developers: it's no longer a MAIN hub for anyone, and it currently doesn't support any international flights. We are truly living in flyover country here! I've looked into learning scenery design for myself, because I'd love to have highly detailed versions of KCPS and KSUS (Downtown and Spirit, repectively), but I just don't have the free time. Maybe someday...GO CARDS!