Sign in to follow this  
ctiger

FSGenesis

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all,I have noticed some good reports indicating you should add FSGenesis as an addon to FS9. Since I plan to continue with FS9 I plan to add a few more goodies. I now have FE and GE. I need help in buying some FSGenesis software. First, I am not sure what the initial purchase should be. I do want to start with the US and Canada and probably populate Europe in the near future but am a little confused about the resoloution, landclass etc. I guess you start with US 76.4m which appears to cover the US except Alaska but then you can add on top of that the west coast at 38.2m and other parts of the US at a 38.2M. Should I pick up each area with the 38.2m since it should be better or buy both the US and each section at the lower mesh? Then I notice you can add a 9.6m for certain areas. Ater all that you can add Landclass, which I guess will enhance FS9 even more. Then there is something called "world buffer". Maybe that is used if you purchased the DVD. As you can see I need a plan on the process or pecking order on how to go about this.Finally what maybe the most economically way of doing this. It looks iike I can get a 40% off if I purchase 5 or more sections??. Well I hope this is not to confusnig. Before I take the plundge I would appreciate any comments from those that are already enjoying FSG.CarlDell 510, P4-3.4Ghz, 2gram, 7600GS Pcie

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Guest neslesman

I think mesh is the single most important thing you can add to your flight sim. Then GE and and FE(or something similar) and you have that. I also think you are on the right path as far as what to get. Prices have been coming down for mesh lately, I suspect due to more competition so you sound like a perfect candidate for GS Genesis "get it all" package for $100 for three years. It's a bit more for a lifetime.Covering the entire world with new 76M mesh will greatly enhance the sim but it does require a lot of space. I went for the whole world from FSGlobal2005 as there prices were best at the time although the Genesis mesh is probably more highly regarded. It has worked well for me and I think the total hit was about 12 Gigs just going from memory before getting into the 38M or 9.6. I store my mesh on a different drive to spread the load out over 2 drives. Try out the free mesh from genesis, I think there is about 25 regions in their download section right down to 9.6. Vancouver Island is in there and is excellent in 38M.The main page at FSGenesis has a link to the best descriptions I've ever seen of mesh/landclass/etc.

Howdy, and Merry Christmas.My first suggestion is for you to get the Genesis freeware DL of Vancouver Island. You WILL! see a huge difference immediately.Try their freeware first and then decide which areas you might want to pay for. I have the 38 meter west coast US and it is very, very nice.I just bought the Genesis 9 meter mesh of Grand Teton National Park this morning and it is outstanding! The detail blew me out of my chair. I set up a gorgeous sunrise with Flight Environment and went for a slo biplane cruise. Just unbelievable. A great, great flight.Try the Vancouver Island freeware first.http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?name...sdownload&sid=2(Second from bottom of screen.)

Do they have a "All in one " North America download or do you have download different regin's one buy one?Thanks,

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Guest neslesman

From Genesis web site it looks like 5 downloads for about $12 each less 40% discount. N. Canada, S.Canada, Alaska, S. United States, Mexico and the Carib. Going from memory I thing NA was one disk from FSGlobal with the Caribbean on a different disk. Either way good bang for the FS9 buck IMO, especially at those prices.

The area covered depends on the resolution - the higher the res, the smaller the area.I think you can get the whole US in one package at 76 meters, or in sections at 38 meters. Genesis mesh has 9 meter mesh for the whole USA in FSX. Only in small areas in 9 meter for FS9. Bummer. 9 meter mesh is da shizzle!I highly recommend trying the Genesis freeware 38 meter mesh of Vancouver Island. The island has great topography that takes advantage of the better mesh and it will give you a fantastic taste of what it does. The DL is fast and install is a one .gbl drag & drop. Couldn't be easier and the results couldn't be better.I'm seriously thinking of paying the $100 for a membership that gives gets you every product they have and every product they'll make for the next three years.

Tried the Vancuver, Loved it. Brought the geography to life. I made an account so i can get into the store and buy what i want but there email service may be bogged down becuase of the Holiday's?

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

Guest PPSFA

If you can afford it, get the Galaxy membership and you get all downloads for life, its a bargin.

>If you can afford it, get the Galaxy membership and you get>all downloads for life, its a bargin.>You might be right there? $100 bucks though.....I just want to do North America, alaska, Hawaii because thats pretty much where i fly.Thanks,

Ed

>If you can afford it, get the Galaxy membership and you get>all downloads for life, its a bargain.>I second that. *Well* worth the $100 I spent back in 2003.The best results are obtained when you install the FSG mesh at all available resultions from 306m down to 38m. Why? Because FS loads the low-res mesh at distance and steps up to higher resolution mesh as the distance from the aircraft decreases. Use of FSG 38m mesh without 76m, 153m, and 306m mesh derived from the same terrain data can cause the terrain to "morph" noticeably when the higher res mesh is loaded as the aircraft draws near.regardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

>>If you can afford it, get the Galaxy membership and you get>>all downloads for life, its a bargain.>>>>I second that. *Well* worth the $100 I spent back in 2003.>>The best results are obtained when you install the FSG mesh at>all available resultions from 306m down to 38m. Why? >Because FS loads the low-res mesh at distance and steps up to>higher resolution mesh as the distance from the aircraft>decreases. Use of FSG 38m mesh without 76m, 153m, and 306m>mesh derived from the same terrain data can cause the terrain>to "morph" noticeably when the higher res mesh is loaded as>the aircraft draws near.>>regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Santiago de Chile>Well said Bob, plus it stops those nasty blue slivers when you install all mesh resolutions.Best $100 ever spent.....plus I have the FSX mesh now as well as part of my membership.Glenn

>>If you can afford it, get the Galaxy membership and you get>>all downloads for life, its a bargain.>>>>I second that. *Well* worth the $100 I spent back in 2003.>>The best results are obtained when you install the FSG mesh at>all available resultions from 306m down to 38m. Why? >Because FS loads the low-res mesh at distance and steps up to>higher resolution mesh as the distance from the aircraft>decreases. Use of FSG 38m mesh without 76m, 153m, and 306m>mesh derived from the same terrain data can cause the terrain>to "morph" noticeably when the higher res mesh is loaded as>the aircraft draws near.>>regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Santiago de Chile>That explains the "Morphing" in the Vancover mesh that i tried. Thought that was just part of the way fs9 was loading the scenery. Now that i know, $100 may be the best investment.Thanks,Now if i could only get the email from them with my password to log into thier store, then i could go spend some Christmas money.........

Ed

Guest neslesman

Not to be picky but be sure you realize that "Vancouver Island" mesh is not for Vancouver. Even though we are only about 20 miles east of Vancouver Island, we are not there. If you are using the Vancouver Island Mesh be sure to pick up the Free Victoria City and Region Scenery that's just been added here at Avsim and also search out the CYYJ2007 airports file here too that compliments that file just great. They are all new and extremely high quality and very complete with lots of AI Ships, Boats, correct aircraft, kayaks etc. Between the mesh, the Region and the Airports it's about as good as it gets. Plan a couple amphib flights out of Victoria harbour and fly north and/or East over the Gulf Islands to Vancouver.Just wanted you to be sure on that, I'm not being critical but it will affect what you see big time if you test that mesh over Vancouver. There is Vancouver + payware add on that is a great one for Vancouver and includes high res mesh, from FS Addons. The free Victoria file I just mentioned is made by the same people.This is the free Victoria scenery file available here, search for the CYYJ airports and get the 2007 version, it will be easy to find, also here at Avsim and it's new this month. vicenh06.zip

The other outstanding feature of FSG is Justin's support. I sent him an email request this afternoon GMT (Christmas day). Question answered shortly after! Takes some beatin that!

Cool!So far the only problem is getting my password from email to get into the store to buy it? This looks sweet!! Especialy with the EMB-120 from Erick Cantu, Daniel Halpern, Steve Drabek (Thankyou).http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/163912.jpg

Ed