Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Who is really using FSX ? And who still FS2004?

>As someone has mentioned earlier, with people like Holger>Sandmann releasing awsome scenery such as Glacier bay, why>upgrade?To be honest, it's all those other "tens of thousands of square miles" thoughout the mountain west area of the United States, that "hasn't" been remodeled by those such as Holger Sandmann.This is the area where I mostly sim fly, and FSX looks remarkably better than FS9. Especially in the illusion of three dimensional depth, and clarity.However, this applies to my specific requirements, and perhaps not to other peoples needs.L.Adamson

Great news, didn't know that (always assumed PMDG does the MD-11 for FSX only), so FSX will be even further away for me!Andreas

>>As someone has mentioned earlier, with people like Holger>>Sandmann releasing awsome scenery such as Glacier bay, why>>upgrade?>>To be honest, it's all those other "tens of thousands of>square miles" thoughout the mountain west area of the United>States, that "hasn't" been remodeled by those such as Holger>Sandmann.>>This is the area where I mostly sim fly, and FSX looks>remarkably better than FS9. Especially in the illusion of>three dimensional depth, and clarity.>>However, this applies to my specific requirements, and perhaps>not to other peoples needs.>>L.Adamson>Well, just completed the first couple of flights in my new rig and I can only say WOW... This is how FSX should be from the beginning.The "illusion of three dimensional depth, and clarity" as Larry calls it is so true and unbelievably realistic especially with high levels of scenery complexity, autogen and terrain mesh detail enabled.All this and at a pretty constant and fluid 27 FPS which on previous versions feels like 35 - 40 FPS.Amazing stuff really. Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBMicrosoft Vista Ultimate OEMMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Guest pdxbulldog

I'm still with 2004. I have a pretty good rig - AMD 4600+ dual core, Nvida 9250 GT, 2 gigs memory, good ASUS mother board - and found FSX to be unuseable. Thought it should have been called the "straight and level" simulator. Frames and smoothness were great as long as you were flying in a straight line. The slightest turn turned into a slide show pretty quick, and all the tweaks folks were posting tended to degrade the visuals so much it looked like Fly! did when it was first released almost ten years ago. Since I have a lot invested in my add-ons, including four or five complex jetliners, I uninstalled it pretty quickly and went back to FS9. We'll see if the service pack helps and if the promised SLI support makes a difference. Seems to me like they really missed the boat on not doing a better job wit multiple cores - The Elder Scrolls Oblivion runs a heck of a lot better on my dual core than it did on my previous single core machine. And that is a cpu eating beast of a program. Also, I'm not really sure what FSX brings that FS9 with active sky, ultimate terraine etc. don't already - except maybe an engine that will do a better job with photo-realistic scenery. And I'm not sure I need that, really. I live in Portland and the the payware Portland and PDX scenery from the guys who did Rhode Island is really, really good. It really looks like that here, we just have a few more trees in real life. Much better than the megascenery looks to me. So, that's my experience. It sits in its DVD box waiting for a machine with the umph to get it off the ground. Colin in Portland

Guest jaapverduijn

Well now, fairly unexpected things happen in this world! Three days after I made my previous posting, I managed to fry my CPU (my own fault for letting the ribs/fan clog up). So last Friday I went to the computer shop to deliver my wishes, and five or six hours later a brand new rig stood proudly in my den!Power unit: FSP Epsilon 700 Wat QuietMother board: Intel DP965LT Lemont DDR2/1394Processor: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4G 4MBMemory: 2GB (2x1) Kingston CL4 DDR2 800Video card: GeForce 8600GTS 256MB PCI-EHard disc: Samsung Int. HD 500GB SATA-III am VERY pleased with this combo: the way FS9 runs now is a true revelation! On the video card ALL quality options are fully maxed out, in the sim ALL relevant sliders are fully to the right, and the resolution is 1600x1200. My favorite Shackleton and equally favorite WingsOfPower Lancaster and B29 run, to quote the late George S. Patton Jr, "like crap through a goose": I've got at least a couple of dozen FPS "to spare" in case I want to throw in more graphic frame-hogs than the present GroundEnvironment and FSAtmosphere and a few other thingummies.In short: I'm unable to bring FS9 to its knees, and it's finally running like, I guess, it was meant to... back in 2003!I also bought FSX, which runs quite well too: somewhat lesser settings both in the videocard and the sim itself, but extremely satisfactory. No complaints about FPS, only about the bllody thing freezing on me when I hit alt, and then stuff like "options" followed by "display" or something like that. At that point FSX freezes into a cryogenic stupor, and and computer can only be revived via the well-known "control alt delete". Would anybody have similar experiences with FSX? If so, do you have a solution?Anyway, for the above reason I don't fly FSX right now, but not sweat: boy oh boy, what a GORGEOUS sim FS9 is now! Jaap Verduijn.

Hey Chris, look at the monster you've got. No wonder you're getting 27fps, FS9 on that system couuld exceed 80fps!!! Maybe one day we'll all have a system like yours.Dave FisherCYYZP4 Prescott 3.2e 478p 800mhz 1mg CPUP4P800SE Asus Motherboard2.5 gig PC3200 DDR RAM 400MHZGeForce 7600GT/512 OC'dMaxtor 80 Gig ATA 133 HD x2WDC WD800 80 Gig HDAntec 500watt true powerSharp 19 inch LCD MonitorLogitech Extreme 3D pro Joystickhttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpghttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

FS 9 here and for the near future. I'd rather save the $70 for FS X and put it towards the new machine at this point. 9 gives me hours of enjoyment still, and I have a lot of add ons that I can't afford to replace if I spend the $ on a machine. L. Adamson makes some great observations that I hope are true. I'll let you know in a year or so when I decide to give it a try.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Captain Picasso:Superb YouTube videos! especially the 747 classic which I assume is RFP ? Bloody brilliant, yeah!JS

Guest Dakota

I am using fs9 and will probably skip FSX as I do not have a system to run it and will probably not be getting a new one for a couple years. I am happy with FS9 and have a range of add-ons I really enjoy. So maybe FS11 will be my next big step in simming.

Guest supercoup

If FSX came out with the ability to verbally speak to ATC instead of unrealistically typing to them on a keyboard, I would use it. I own it, and set it up on my system. It runs OK but you have to minimize the graphics, so that takes away its glamour. Its flight dynamics are better but addon aircraft have great dynamics in FS9. Addon scenery for FS9 puts FSX to shame and if you try to install addon scenery to FSX, it takes forever to load. I run FS9, VOXATC, Flight Deck Companion, East Coast and Central U.S. Mega scenery addons, World airports 2 and game commander 3 (which lets me communicate with Flight Deck Companion and my copilot verbally). Now thats as real as it gets. FS9 is all set up in my simulator and I fly using a CH yoke, pedals and throttle. Swithces and buttons for various electronics are connected through the Hagstrom Ke72 keyboard emulator. Sure, I could run FSX but what for, if you have to bring the sliders to the left, whats the sense. Im having too much fun with FS9. FSX ? Later, maybe.

This discussion is fun.I am using fs9 80& fsx 20%. I find I have to force myself to use fsx. Main reason for emphasis on fs9, tons of payware and freeware, years of building a great flightsim. I am slooowwwwly working my way into fsx, building it up. I suspect it will be a while yet before I forget my fs9.Also, my newish computer just rocks with fs9, there isn't anything I can fly in any type of detailed scenery and not a stutter, nor blurry etc. I can not say the same for fsx. I can get some reasonable performance on fsx but its just not there yet.cheers.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guest nigel28

well I guess I should chime in here. I jumped on the bandwagon and bought FSX and have been trying t otweak it ever since. I finally upgraded my computer (see signature) to try and run FSX to an acceptable level but the fact is, I like complex planes. Dont get me wrong, FSX's graphics are great and the new textures blow away fs9's but, again...I like complex aircraft!!so in a VERY un-regrettable move, I reinstalled fs9 and all my goodies, AS6, UT, GE Pro, traffic 2005, all me eaglesoft planes, etc...and to my amazement I can run fs9 completed maxed out locked at a solid 30 FPS...my fs9 world looks completely different to me than it did 7 months ago. I never imagined having a complex aircraft (citation X from eaglesoft) sitting on the ramp at KATL with max traffic, facing the city, in bad weather, locked at 30 FPS. I just sat there and laughed out loud and how awesome it all looked. so I am an fs9 refugee...at least for the next year or so!

Guest KemoF15

I uninstalled FSX after several months--it's good for slow VFR--but once you start loading "real" weather (ASv6.5), and flying complex aircraft from larger airports, forget it--and this is with an AMD FX-62 dual core, 4GB Corsair RAM, 7950 GX2 (1GB video card overclocked), and Raptor HD spinning at 10,000rpm--and applying most of the tweaks.There's a reason why there isn't a Squawkbox 4 (FSX version), PMDG, and PSS aircraft along with "real" weather--bloody slideshow.I will do a clean reinstall once the FSX service pack comes out and give it another go.Until then, I'm hanging on to FS9 and adding on.KemoF15