Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Who is really using FSX ? And who still FS2004?

Guest PARADISE

FS9 suits my needs just fine. If the desire hits me to see the best scenery, most realistic weather conditions and be able to count the rivets on airframes I am lucky enough to be able to drive to the airport and do the real thing. If I couldn't do that then I probably would have immersed myself into FSX by now.John M

My fs odyssey has plateaued with fs9 - first version I ever seriously bought payware for, first version that gave me the sky I longed for. Like so many others, my roots are too deep this time. The new sim is nice but offers too little at too high a cost, SP1 or no. Even my GA (where fsx really shines) needs are met with fs9 and all the wonderful stuff available. Thanks to Holger and others my big irons are in storage in favour of a few choice GA singles - even bought the Kingair for longer hops :) - GA has only just begun for me.There's just too much juice left in the orange :) I'm thinking fs11 probably.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

FS9 forever!Or at least until I become rich enough to buy all those countless addons for another FS version...;-) Best regards,Rafal

HI:After reading the forums here everyday and looking on the web I believe that FSX had been a failure so far. This is why we are still waiting for certain payware to come out. Most of the freeware painters and developers are still putting out lots of FS9 material.RegardsRick

I am using both. FS9 for GA flying and FSX for airliners.IMHO the FS9 scenery with GE Pro and various autogen tweaks (koorbygen) and 3rd party add-ons is just as good (and in some aspects better) than the default FSX scenery.I love the FSX flight dynamics, weather effects, ground traffic, views, airports, autogen. However, poor framerates and lack of FSX add-ons keeps me from completely switching.Pat

FS9 only for me. After playing the FSX demo I haven't even purchased FSX. I just have no motivation to start the whole tweaking process over again. FS9 runs great on my PC, and I have tons of great freeware and payware addons. Honestly, as others have said, I am just having tons of fun in this good "old" sim. Personally I think MS is simply pushing the envelope too far with hardware requirements, or maybe I'm just getting older :)I can see myself staying a version or two behind for some time, maybe even skipping a version here or there.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Hans Krohn

I run FS9 with a three monitor setup and I barely get the fps I need for smooth flying. If I invest in a new machine in the next year or two, it will be in order to run FS9 even smoother, not because I want to switch to FSX.FS9 for now has everything I want: beautiful skies, great landscapes, great planes. And I invested a lot of money in add-ons (still flying around the world to visit them all :-).I will probabely migrate one day, but I guess not in the next 4 -5 years...Hans

FS9 only. I've got a ton of add-ons and the sim runs smotthly and looks stunning.I have FSX, installed and uninstalled a few times, but it's not going back in until I have a faster rig, the patch is out, and I can stuff some Genesis mesh and a Ground Environment type program into it. As it is, FSX looks nice and runs... ok, but it simply does not offer the seemless (and painless) variety of flight I'm getting from FS9.

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings all!I am among those who stick with FS9, and quite probably will skip FSX altogether."(...) After playing the FSX demo I haven't even purchased FSX (...)"Same here. My old but faithful rig with P4 2.4Ghz and Nvidia 6800 deals with a vengeance with everything I throw at it, including FS9. But the FSX demo simply was too much for the ancient clunker (that's the rig, not me - grin)!In this thread I notice a fairly large percentage of people whose rigs are perfectly satisfactory for everything but FSX, and like me they consider it a waste of money to upgrade "just" for flightsim.I think MSFS has reached the stage where its hardware demands have become unrealistic for the PC owner. It's time to perform a marriage between Xbox and MSFS, where MSFS takes full advantage of a dedicated platform, and Xbox needs to provide for flightsim controllers like CH yokes, and for add-ons.MicroSoft has done itself an astonishing disservice by extending FS9's life from 2 years to 3: it's that extra year that gave add-on developers the opportunity to hone the sim to a quite spectacular level. Me and the likes of me however, are very pleased with this decision!Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Hi JS,I am still using both and will be for sometime. Time is shared roughly equally between both (heavies on FS9, everything else on FSX) and will be for a long time (at least until Airliner XP A320 is available in FSX).FS9 deletion anticipated early 2008 - just in time for FS11:)

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest SJDickson

I find myself in a bit of a quandary where neither FS9 nor FSX are especially satisfying. Having become used to the look and feel of FSX, it almost literally makes my eyes hurt to go back to the relatively pixelated terrain and poor atmospheric lighting in FS9. After only a few minutes in FS9, the little voice in my head saying 'this doesn't look as good as FSX' overwhelms the suspension of disbelief and I lose all sense of immersion. Yet, the world in FSX is relatively dull and lifeless without the numerous scenery add-ons I've become used to in FS9 e.g. Ultimate Terrain, Vancouver+ among several others. After only a few minutes in FSX, that same little voice in my head says 'I wish such-and-such an add-on was available for FSX' and, once again, I lose all sense of immersion. As a result, finding neither FS9 nor FSX to be satisfying, I increasingly find myself loading up my favourite racing simulation instead. I hope that once FSX SP1 is released and my favourite add-ons start to appear for FSX, I'll return to the fold.

I just bought FS9 versions of FT-TNCM and both France VFR islands and airports for the Carribean. I am also getting Dreamfleets Beech 58 for FS9. I have all the heavy addons as well for FS9 and will be buying AXP's FS9 A320. I am planning on skipping FSX and not upgrading until at least FS11.

Eric 

Thousands of dollars and thousands of hours invested in FS9. Its going to take the FSX "killer app" to make me switch. For the first time in over 20 years of flight simming, I'm leaning toward skipping a version of MSFS. I just can't find the reason to make the switch.

Guest neslesman

I don't know if it's been said above but I wonder if there wasn't a bit of a phenomena where people upgraded in anticipation of or after getting FSX, only to find that FS9 was performing beyond their wildest dreams and all those old performance demons no longer existed.With such a pleasant surprise and the frustrations of starting all that over again with FSX the decision to stick with FS9 became a no brainer.I would love to see real numbers or what the developers are selling today and what they anticipated selling today and whether their revenues are up to or below expectations. Of course we will never really know the honest answer to that. For everyones sake I hope they are making a buck or two but I wonder.