Sign in to follow this  
Guest DesiDude2007

King Air 300 sounds

Guest DesiDude2007

Installed afg_b300_v10.zip from the avsim library. Great GA aircraft. Especially, with the v1.01 update, it flies very smooth. However, one thing that disturbs me is that its engine sounds are the same whether I press F1 (complete idle) or F4 (full throttle) keys. Same thing when I press F2 or F3 to throttle down/up ... the engine sounds remains the same and there is no audio feedback. Any thing that can be done about this ?

I have the very same question. Although my guess is that the sound it makes has more to do with RPM than Torque...but still I suppose there should be distinctive difference between 2200 ftlb and 500 ftlb.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest ThrottleUp

That is strange ...this problem you are having! I have the AFG King Air and the engine-note changes with throttle movement :) Do a quick test and insert the default King Airs sound..see if that works.

Guest Jet Ranger

>Installed afg_b300_v10.zip from the avsim library. Great GA>aircraft. Especially, with the v1.01 update, it flies very>smooth. However, one thing that disturbs me is that its>engine sounds are the same whether I press F1 (complete idle)>or F4 (full throttle) keys. Same thing when I press F2 or F3>to throttle down/up ... the engine sounds remains the same and>there is no audio feedback. >>Any thing that can be done about this ? >>Hi I have exactly the same problem it would be interesting to find out why this is?

The AFG sound package is missing the whole ENG_COMBUSTION section, that means you don't get sound associated with the combustion chambers. That's why you don't here much sound change with throttle movements.I just created my own ENG1_COMBUSTION & ENG2_COMBUSTION sections, picked some good combustion sounds, created my own left and right channel versions and the result is good enough for me.Jason

Jason

As ThrottleUp says, that is strange. I hear very distinct engine/prop changes when moving the throttle, prop, or condition levers. In fact it's one of the best turboprop sounds I've heard. You might check over at the AFG site on their SUPPORT FORUM for some answers.Regards, Al

Me too. I was puzzled why people seemed to be saying the AFG King Air sounds were great when I could not detect any change in the sounds whatever the throttle setting. Eventually I gave up and installed the default King Air air sound file and this works fine. Relieved to hear it is not just me having the problem with the AFG sound file.trevorbee

Are you sure you have a sound problem? Maybe the sound feedback that you are looking for is / was wrong for a turbine engine because you are used to piston engine sound feedback. This is a Medado sound package who is noted for having a true turbine sound.Sound "By Leon "pancreas" Medado Freeware released during March, 2005Version 3.1"The "Condition levers" (mixture control for piston engines) has two positions in real life turbines. Ground idle (low idle) for ground operations and "flight idle" for flight Ops. They are in ground idle when you hit Cntl + E for the AFG 300 at start up.The "Power Control levers" (throttle levers for piston engines) control the pitch of the prop. When you start to taxi and advance the throttle to move you should hear the props come out of beta pitch (0 degrees of pitch) by a lower sound note. The gas generator rpm is stable at the bottom of the green arc.Before you take the runway for take off the condition levers (mixture control) should be moved full forward to "flight idle" from "ground idle". You will see the gas generator rpm rise a little on the gauge. That sound is being masked by the prop sound.In take off position you advance the Power control levers (throttles) which increase the prop pitch via the prop governor which at the same time causes the fuel control unit to increase the gas generator rpm (engine rpm) to the top of the green arc. The prop pitch (bite) is reflected in the torque meter. The prop sound will always mask the sound of the increase in rpm of the gas generator (engine rpm). You can't hear the bigger bite of the prop because the prop governor is maintaining a constant prop rpm and only see it reflected in the torque meter.At cruise you adjust the prop rpm with the prop levers. Once you have the prop rpm set you set the throttles to achieve a given torque value.You won't hear the increase or decrease in the gas generator (engine rpm) as the prop governor moves the fuel control unit because the props are the biggest noise makers.Just remember that in a turbine your thrust isn't directly related to gas generator rpm but to the pitch of the prop via the Power Control (throttle) lever which is reflected on the torque meter.

• Like 1

Daryll, very nicely done and succinct.This will help all enjoy the AFG B300 experience even more...:)Regards,Mitch

Guest ThrottleUp

Excellent explanation Daryll, thanx :)

I agree with you in theory. But based on my right seat experiences in our company's Meridian, trust me that turbine engine makes more noise at full power than at cruise or descend settings...2500RPM in all cases. Maybe not that dramatic compared to a piston but still there is no way you won't notice it, even with a pair of bose. The difference in the sound is a mixture of volume and pitch.Jason

Jason