Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Looking for a landing light that does this?

Or should I say doesn't do this? I hate the way the landing lights have such a hard edge to them. Especially when coming into land and the visibility is low they project the bright v shape light that has no transparency. Is this a limitation in FS9 or hardware DX9 based limitation. Unfortunatley I don't have a screen shot to show what I am experiencing, however some of you may know mhat I mean. It is also noticable when approaching an airport at night and I can see the v shape lights from the AI that are taxing or just landed, they stick out like a sore thumb. I am interested to know of any tweeks or light replacements I cant try or buy to fix this. Appreciate the feed back.Regards,Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thats what it looked like this morning coming through 1/2 mile fog ;)But I know what you mean within the sim it does look weired on those clear days.

Attached is a screen shot showing what I mean. When visibility is good it looks fine but when cut down to 1/2 mile in this screen shot it looks horrible. For this shot I just loaded a place then slewed up about 50 feet above the runway to demonstratehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181835.jpg

There's a nice landing light texture from the Avsim lib by Nick Needham (Nicks_lightfix_v2). I replaced the landing light file (spotlight.bmp) and the result is excellent.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181838.jpgLater,PatAMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Hi Pat,Thanks for the heads up in regards to Nick Needham's files here at AVSIM. They look great, much better than what I was using.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Pat, I am using the same lights by Nick. Mine looks like that also, when it clear. Through in some fog or hazy conditions with 1/4 or 1/2 mile visibility and it looks like my screen shot. Does yours look like mine when the visibility is cut down? It's like the cloud or foq layer doesn't really want to blend with the landing lights. Kind of how fog looks around mountains, it's just a hard edge. Maybe it's a hardware or software limitation. Looking forward to more input on this. Sean

Sean,Yeah, looks like yours at very low viz.PatAMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS