Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

Douglas DC-3C a masterpiece

I am surprised not to find out any buzz about Charles owen's DC-3C which I discovered thanks to computer pilot magazine. It is a fantastic aircraft in which more than 40 failures are simulated. You have first to study the aircraft operations manual, then to fly by the check list and monitor the gauges or you will face serious consequences. It is very chalenging and you have to learn how the aircraft systems work which is quite interesting. Everything has been modelled faithfully.Now when I switch back to another so called realistic aircraft, I find it dull and think that making mistakes without being punished is unfair.I also would like to mention the excellent skyvector website which gives you navigation charts.Flying the DC-3C while using skyvector has completely changed my way of virtual flying for the better! Give them a try...

hi,Yes it does but is is not as detailed as the 2D cockpit. it allows you to fly the aircraft though. it is true that you need to flip from virtual cockpit to 2D cockpit in order to monitor the systems.You have to manage the fuel, hydraulic, oil, electric, de icing systems, the engines, the cowl flaps. They can fail either randomly or because of pilot induced errors. When preparing for flight, you have to check the aircraft thoroughly, not to pretend to do it but to make sure everything is OK because everything can fail even the light bulbs!I once flew a long approach and somehow forgot about "back loading" ie the propeller drives the engine because the manifold pressure is too low. I heard a loud bang only to find out that the right engine was dead. I continued the approach with the remaining engine which failed too. I really felt panick stricken and could not avoid the crash! next time I will know better.It really teaches you how an aircraft works, the hard way, but it is so rewarding and interesting as far as aircraft technology knowledge is concerned...