Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Need help with Track IR

OK, I have track IR 4 with the 3D hat clip thing. It is set up and works with FS9. Generally I am using it with heavies like the LDS767.My problem is in the actual usage of it. I have a headache, it makes me dizzy and I am now flying like my 8 year old.I have the "enter" button set up as pause and I am using it quite a bit, particularly when scanning to my second screeen. I just find that I can't seem to get the right head position & view for landing and in turn I am scanning all over the place trying looking at my instruments. The pan rate seems very fast.Perhaps some of the experts can give me some advice on setup that will make things smoother.thanks,Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

If you just purchased the TrackIR, then this is fairly normal. IMO, it takes about a month or two before you adjust to the unit, and the difference between TrackIR, and simple using you hat switch (or similar). When I first received mine, I created a profile with very 'deep dead zones' until I got used to it. After a while, I found I could allow more and more precise settings as I became accustomed to the unit. Now, after a year and a half/two years, It has simply became 'innate' to me, and I no longer find myself 'swinging' my head wildly around the cockpit.Give it time, once you get used to it, you probably won't be able to 'enter' FS without is ever again.

I agree. It took me month to get used to mine. I couldn't even hit the runway at first! :-)Just FYI - There's a profile on the naturalpoint website called OPTIMISED FLIGHT. Grab it and use it. It's the best setup for FS that I have used. Really helps with the headaches. Once it all starts to work for you, you'll start loving it thought! :-) You'll see.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Agreed, the Optimized Flight profile is the one I use as well.I also used the 'precision' key a bunch while 'learning', but now, hardly ever use that function at all, unless I need to add a bit more 'stillness' to hit various buttons, but again, that is rare as I've learned to control my head movements. That was the hardest thing to learn; controlling head movements. I realized real quick how much I used to move my head without TrackIR, and I had a hard time dealing with not having that freedom at first. TrackIR requires you to 'keep your head in the game' and is very much part of the immersion after the 'learning curve' is over. In the end, it is TrackIR which provides more freedom than 'free head movement' can ever provide.

Yeah I still use pause a lot but you hardly realise you're using it. For instance when I look down to change my radios, I'll pause cause it's too hard to keep your head dead still. Also whenever I need to right click a switch (PMDG mostly) I'll pause, cause I'll usually miss and bring up that stupid windows context menu which I frikkin hate! :-) haha all good.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Keep at it Mark, you are not the only one who thought they made a big mistake on this 'thing' after only using it for a few days/couple of weeks. I know I did when I first started using it :DIf you use a stick or yoke, I highly recommend mapping the zoom in and out functions to a couple buttons. I do find having the zoom function immediately accessible to be very very handy.

Well I just tried the Optimized profile and it was much much better. I have the zoom mapped my CH Yoke. thanks again.Yes the thought did cross my mind that this was a mistake but I have read so many positive reviews I figured there was more to getting this to work well.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000