Sign in to follow this  
Guest weeniemcween

Bloom Plugin!!!

Sorry, but I am not ready to compromise the 8xS in nHancer, since I bought the card for that exact reason. My old X1950XT had so many jagged up lines on the aircraft, and also runway textures on some airports I fly frequently, those only disappear with 8xS setting. Besides, I just tried for the sake of the test the 4xS, it's not like it's worlds better - instead of drops below 20s, I get drops up to 20s... In ANY case of using the bloom effect, the FPS drop. People might be using normal Multisampling (which yields usually higher FPS), but lemme just show you what I mean:Quality of X1950XT (and also other cards without SS), with AA 8x, AF 16x:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187895.jpg4xS without TranspSS:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187896.jpg8xS with TranspSS:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187897.jpgNow, 2nd and 3rd shot maybe don't represent such a huge difference, but also they don't represent high FPS difference, as with bloom plugin also. There is only a high shimmering decrease between last two, which I can't represent here. The FPS difference between 1st and the 2nd two, is of course bigger. But so is the picture quality...I've seen over course of last months, people still have 8800 series cards, and still not using it to it's full potential. Thus for them, this bloom will probably look good and they won't see any difference FPS-wise. Me however, am using my system to it's absolute full potential, my CPU is usually at 100%, and my GPU is pulling its horsepowers.And let me comment on one thing more: people saying that it looks like a placebo effect, making only everything brighter - I must admit I give them right. A real bloom effect wouldn't make panels brighter, I think that is also the way it works in FSX. Also a very weird side-effect, it makes VC panels darker when flying at dusk/dawn - looking very weird. Also on my LDS, when I turn on panel lighting at dusk, with bloom on, it's completely dark, not even lighted up.To sum it up, too many problems to deal with, thus it's going out of my sim.

FSX dlready have bloom. For what use this hacked dll ? It's wrong way

>FSX dlready have bloom. For what use this hacked dll ? It's>wrong wayThis is very true - but then you should consider that this is the FS2004(FS9) Forum page... and FS9 does not have bloom without a modification such as this dll...Geoff

Thank you for this find! I am stunned at the transformation of FS9 by this small hack. I would say that this is one of the single most important additions to FS9. You should see what this thing does to a combination of Ultimate Terrain, Flight Environment Pro and Ground Environment. FS9 looks totally cinematic during all times and night is finally black and foreboding (the way it SHOULD be). All I can say is WOW! BTW, I am seeing absolutely no frame rate hit with the 'hq' profile.This needs to be pinned. If you have a high end rig, GET THIS NOW!!!!Wow!!!!

With the low quality setting, it seems to work pretty good on my modest setup.Night flying certainly looks and feels different, kinda like FS10 but without the sense of dread.More testing and tweaking needed but certainly an interesting find, thanks.Maybe this talented develper can tailor a version for FS9 (optimize if possible)--I'd be willing to pay, just like other nice payware....PatAMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Guest SoarPics

Fun little add-on. In the FSX forum NickN stated that this doesn't do anything that adjusting contrast/brightness and gamma in the video drivers won't do, and I tend to agree with him. Even in FS9. After playing with the .ini settings and the video drivers for a while I could do pretty much anything the plug-in could do simply by tweaking in ATI Tray Tools. Additionally, there are any number of add-on (both freeware and payware) environment packages for FS9 that offer different blooms.For those seeing a performance hit try resetting "ReflectionQuality" in the .ini from "0" to "1" or "2". "0" is best quality and greatest performance hit while "2" gives the lowest quality and least performance hit.Congrats to those who find this useful. It just doesn't offer me much that I can't do by choosing my prefered enviro set-ups and tweaking the video drivers.

>This is very true - but then you should consider that this is the >FS2004(FS9) Forum page... and FS9 does not have bloom without a >modification such as this dll...I know, but I mind>AND FSXand screens.

Personally I don't believe that at all. However, if you can get the same graphical effects as this does just by adjusting gamma, contrast and brightness, then please share with the rest of us so we can do it too. That would be one less .dll file I'd have to worry about and I know that we all would be quite appreciative of your help.It would be interesting if you and NickN can show what you claim, since the dll and ini files changes the horizon brighness, water reflectivity property, add's light bloom effects, changes and greatly enahnces cloud shadowing and greatly enahances distant vs near scenery shading. The difference between the default 'flat' lighting in FS9 and this is huge.If you can do that with just your video card drivers and the buttons on your monitor, all I have to say is WOW!!! Please share!!!

Guest SoarPics

If you can do that with just your video card drivers and the buttons on your monitor...If it was that easy we'd all be in nirvana. :-) It's more a matter of finding the combo of video driver settings and environment packages that works for each user. There is no simple solution due to the different visual perception we each have. What looks nice for one may be garish for another. Once I had tweaked the enbseries addon to get the effects that looked good to me I quickly realized that those visuals weren't far off from what I have with my chosen environment textures and video driver tweaking.FS9 is graced with alot of different add-on environment packages. These packages offer a wide variety of effects, including different bloom effects. The choices of environment packages coupled with the popular video driver tweakers yield a huge number of options in how each of us configure the visuals in the sim. For me that enviro/video setting combo makes the enbseries tweaks redundant.Regards,

Excuse the dumb question, but what the heck are you guys talking about?What is a bloom?I can't see anything special in the screenshots.Eytan ornstein

If you download the plugin and install it, you will see the difference when you activate it. It makes light sources stronger, or it "should" do that.

Guest ted320

>> kinda like FS10 but without the sense of dread.LMAO at that statement. So true.WHOA!!! This just extended the life of FS9 well into the next decade! It truly gives FSX a run for its money, finally FSX type visuals with all my favourite add on's in FS9 without any of the bugs and CTD's!!!My PC is about 2 years old, you can see the drop in frames. On a newer rig I guess it would run better. You cannot use Alt Tab to jump between windows without first disabling it by pressing Shift F12.I kind of feel the same effect of night time flying can be created by tweaking the contrast and gamma... but I have never been able to create the daytime and dusk visuals with traytools.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187960.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187961.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187962.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187963.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187964.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187965.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187967.jpg

After seeing all the screen shots, it looks blurry to me, so why bother? Every screen looks like it has a hazy layer over it. :-

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Image appears as if looking thru dirty eye glasses. But extremely bright light/reflections look pretty convincing, EADI in dark cockpit also looks pretty good.I'm getting image corruption/lockups but we'll see... PatAMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS