Sign in to follow this  
byork

Default FSX 747 Edition Pictorial Overview

Everyone,Below is a pictorial overview of the Default 747 Edition of FS2Crew that's been made to work for FSX.The Default 747 Edition will be for FSX "only" at this point.The Default 747 Edition retains the functionality of the PMDG 747 Edition of FS2Crew to Update 1.2 level within the context of the Default's 747 capabilities with respect to checklists, flight, cabin, ground and company ops modeling.Moreover, FSX allows me as the developer to do some new things, and I've incorporated them into this version. ::::: MINI OVERVIEW of CHANGED/NEW FUNCTIONALITY:::::*FS2Crew Default 747 is still very similar to the PMDG 747 Edition of FS2Crew, so I won't show old stuff. The heart of the program is still the flight crew interaction and checklists.*http://www.fs2crew.com/747def/1.jpgNew desktop icon for the Start Center to reflect FSX.http://www.fs2crew.com/747def/5.jpgStart Center for the Default 747 FSX Version. I had to create a new Start Center separate from the Start Center used for the Level-D 767 and PMDG 747 (FS9) versions.http://www.fs2crew.com/747def/2.jpgSince FSX now gives developers the powers to easily create an APU, I decided to add a fully functional APU to the default 747 (you'll need it because FSX still retains the rapid battery drain problem from previous FS versions).Same thing for the Packs. These panels and their buttons operate in a highly realistic manner. This marks my foray into the world of advanced systems modeling. Note that the FO can control these two panels as per his flows.http://www.fs2crew.com/747def/3.jpgI had to create a new icon panel so users could easily interface with FS2Crew 747 for FSX. (Hidden clickspots are still used to toggle the Main Panel and Misc Conversations).F = Request the Fuel Truck (New FSX capability).E = Opens Electrical panel depicted above.A = Opens Air Conditioning panel depicted above.T = Opens the Tiller panel (see below).C = Opens multi-player chat screen for shared cockpit users (New FSX multiplayer capability).P = Pass control to other player in a shared cockpit (New FSX multiplayer capability).*Since I appreciate that many FS2Crew users will probably want to use multiplayer for some of their flights, I thought the last two buttons would be especially helpful for you :-)http://www.fs2crew.com/747def/4.jpgThis is my personal favorite. FSX gives developers the ability to model an actual tiller that functions *independently* of the rudder. So now through FS2Crew you can turn the nose wheel without seeing the rudder move.Using a picture of a real 747 tiller unit, I created a tiller that functions very closely to the real thing.::::: OTHER MISC ITEMS :::::FS2Crew also adds to the default 747:1. Autoland Capability2. Misc sounds (Air Conditioning, the alarm/ringing sound when the jetway is connecting to the aircraft.)And More!Any questions, feel free to ask.Cheers,Bryan York

Pretty cool looking Bryan. Can't wait until release.With regards to the multiplayer capability, are we going to be able to operate as a true crew? With one person being the PF and one the FO?EDIT: Holy quick reply on my email batman! Thanks for the response Bryan.

Hi Mike,The multiplayer/internet shared cockpit comes with FSX.The two buttons FS2Crews adds that are meant for use with the multiplayer/shared cockpit are so you don't have to remember default keyboard assignments to peform some shared cockpit functions like passing control, opening the chat window, etc.It just makes your life a little bit easier if you want to fly online with a friend.What won't work via a shared cockpit are the APU and Packs Panel.Why?Because I used a lot of "custom variables" that cannot be shared over the internet when I designed these panels. These are variables that aren't documented in the FSX SDKs.FSX's shared cockpit functionality is a great thing, but this is the problem that PMDG and LDS users, etc., will have. These high-end planes use "custom variables" 99 percent of the time and they can't be shared over the internet via the existing FSX multiplayer system, which makes true on-line multi crew flying impossible if you both want to flip switches like a real flight crew would.A multiplayer SDK may be in the works that will do the trick. Let's hope so, but don't get your hopes up on that. It's too bad because the new multi-player capability is a real plus for FS2Crew because it makes public the whole multi-crew concept, and generates new interest in the field.Chrs,Bryan

Thanks for the reply Byran. Helps explain things for me.I guess I did get my hopes up too high when I heard that FSX would have multipilot capability. I was thinking something along the lines that we could use say the PMDG, LDS, FS2Crew and other planes with it, but I guess that won't be the case.Thanks again for the reply here and to my email. Can't wait to see what all you have in store for us in the future.

Hi Mike,Just to be clear: With the FSX shared cockpit functionality, you can use the default planes just fine more or less and flip switches between aircraft.But with the "big stuff" like the PMDG and LDS aircraft, you'd only be able to control the gear, the flaps and maybe some lights. Pretty well most of the other buttons/switches on these aircraft are not accessible, and their various states cannot be transmitted via multiplayer.Again, perhaps with the right SDK from MS this could change, but it's so complex to do I wouldn't get excited about it.Chrs,Bryan

Looks great Bryan. Can the tiller be assigned to a separate joystick axis in FSX, any idea?

Pete Dowson may be able to somehow do it, but right now it appears the tiller can only be accessed via the FSX Gauges.H file, or presumably by Simconnect which I don't use. There appears to be no key command for it in the FSX controls menu.To control the tiller, you'll need to open the Tiller gauge and use the left/right mouse button to move the tiller left and right.At this point, that's the only way to control the tiller.Chrs,Bryan

Guest Foizman

Hi Brian,please help cause obviously I didn' get something:FS2Crew is an add-on to fly the PMDG747 more realistically. It adds a FO to the game which helps to do all these procedures in time etc.@multiplaying shared cockpit:Why should I fly online with both FS2Crew and a 3rd person in one cockpit (me, the FS2Crew-man and the shared-online-pilot)? What's the sense of this shared cockpit-feature related to the basic FS2Crew-idea?regards,Volker

Hi Volker,I think there may be some missunderstanding. FS2Crew Default 747FSX is very much like the PMDG 747 version of FS2Crew in terms of what it does.FS2Crew Default 747 is meant primarily for "single-player" simming.However, since sometimes (but not always) users will want to use their default FSX 747 while using the "shared cockpit" over the internet, I added two extra buttons to help shared cockput users so they don't have to rely on memorizing a couple FSX multiplayer key commands.If using a "shared cockpit", there would probably be little point in running all the checklists, etc, that come with FS2Crew.However, from my experience so far 99 percent of the people who run shared cockpits in multiplayer do not use checklists or attempt to follow any sort of real-world procedures. However, FS2Crew Default 747 will be a good way that people can "learn" proper two crew techniques so that when they do use a shared cockpit, they can do it properly with their friends.Hope that clears it up.Bryan

Guest Foizman

Hurry up Bryan,maybe you can release it before PMDG does.;-)regards,Volker

Wow... I really don't see any interest in flying default 744...

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

The Default 747 edition of FS2Crew is not aimed at the hardcore market who revel in advanced systems, but rather the more casual simmer who might be intimidated by the PMDG 747, but who still wants to make their sim experience more interesting and immersive, or who simply wants an easy introduction to multi-crew flying without having to read a 300 page systems manual.Besides, the default 747 is all you got for 747s until PMDG releases their FSX upgrade, and who knows when that will be.Chrs,Bryan