Sign in to follow this  
stabell

Possible To Use Fs9 Scenery In Fsx?

I'm running two computers with WideView, and because of problems with stuttering using WideView and FSX, I have to use FS9 on the computer showing the outside view, and FSX on the computer I am actually flying.So the "main" computer with FSX have no outside view, and that causes it to taxi on the grass and through buildings, because the default FSX scenery is not exactly the same as the FS9 scenery I am looking at when taxing around.This also causes the FS9 computer to get below the ground, because of differences in the airports altitude.I wonder if it is possible to use (or convert) FS9 scenery to FSX: Not to look at, just the position and altitude of the airport, taxiways, aprons and parking stands.Is all this information in the FS9 AFCAD files?Of course I could also use FS9 on the computer I am flying, but my B767 cockpit project needs FSX for simconnect reasons.

I'm not sure about converting, but I know scenery won't work because in FSX, the world is round and the scenery should follow the curvature of the earth, but in FS9, Earth is flat.BTW you did mean scenery and not AFCAD, right?

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest JFMuggs
I know scenery won't work ...snip... in FSX
I guess I need to uninstall numerous FS9 scenery and afcad files then because I must be hallucinating about the visuals I b=see below me and the airports I fly to/from and land at.

I guess I need to uninstall numerous FS9 scenery and afcad files then because I must be hallucinating about the visuals I b=see below me and the airports I fly to/from and land at.
Same here, I use several freeware FS9 Airport sceneries in FSX.

in FSX, the world is round and the scenery should follow the curvature of the earth, but in FS9, Earth is flat.
Wait a minute, the earth is round, not flat? Woooooooowwwwwwwww!Sorry- couldn't resist. My post for the year.. :(

Well, you could use FS9 scenery, I guess, but you'll get weird visuals, like floating lights, buildings, and scenery objects.That's my experience, at least.AFCADs should be fine though.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Older FS9 scenery that was based on earlier techniques won't work in FSX, even though it works in FS9. Microsoft warned in the FS9 scenery SDK that these earlier techniques would not be supported in future releases.

because in FSX, the world is round and the scenery should follow the curvature of the earth, but in FS9, Earth is flat.
If the world was flat in FS9 I never came across a 'world's end' while flying! Shri

Guest JFMuggs

I guess I ought to clarify my response.Roughly 50% of the scenery packages I have installed are FS9-based. I barely consider whether any afcads were FS9-based or not when installing them as 99% have worked "right out of the box" without FSX-related issues (though other designer-decision issues may be evident).As mentioned by others, the round-Earth FSX model can create some weird visual effects for some FS9-based sceneries - but, for me, the biggest single issue relating to FS9-based sceneries is tree/vegetation transparencies - the area surrounding the foilage creates a weird effect due to differences between transparency-rendering in FSX and in FS9.Things like "afcad plateaus" seem to be because of more accurate terrain mesh rather than round-Earth. The only round-Earth issue I have been able to identify positively is trying to make even medium-distance shipping routes using the afcad method as was done in FS9. Doing so accentuates the fact that afcad creates "flattens" under each runway and taxiway resulting in "flying ships" as the water seems to fall away over distance. If/when I don't care about moving jetways, moving airport vehicles, afcad-contained fencing, and other FSX-specific airport facility features, I'm as likely to make or use an "FS9" afcad as an FSX one because at many airports, these features are superfluous for me. Think about it - of the 24,000-plus airports in FSn, I'm likely to fly to less than 1% and I'm likely to really closely examine less than 50% of those. Obviously, my mileage differs from many other people, but I like to fly rather than micro-analyze airport scenery.There are obviously other things that relate to FSn scenery differences, but those are the things that I see/deal with/think about whenever I fire up FSX and try to relate it to my previous experience with FS9.Hopefully, that makes my earlier reply a bit more useful.