Sign in to follow this  
Guest blazingcessna

Reinstallation.

Guest blazingcessna

I was just wondering since I am about to have to do it again, how often does everyone have to do a reinstallation? Seems when I do it it takes longer each time! :( Currently it is about 5 per year and 2 hour ordeal for myself.

I was just wondering since I am about to have to do it again, how often does everyone have to do a reinstallation? Seems when I do it it takes longer each time! :( Currently it is about 5 per year and 2 hour ordeal for myself.
Why do you need to re-install 5 times a year?

I have never had to re-install FS9. It's been running on the same PC for about 4-5 years now. Usually, the only install I do is on a new PC (every 4-5 years).In between, I delete (and Archive) aircraft and scenery every few months that I'm not using and defrag once a week.HTH,

One re-install in 2+ years and not because I had to, only because I wanted to clean up some stuff and apply some info I had learned.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I never had to reinstall, thank God!! FS9 runs pretty good without corrupting itself unless you do something very wrong and thanks to the support here pretty much any problem is solvable. If I had to do again it would take some time. The worst bit however would be the little tweaks I have made in the CFG files. Although I make a back-up of everthing I change before and after, it still seems like something very tiring! Not to mention reinstalling the 70 something WOAI packages...

Guest belga1

Hello,I have a Acronis image of the hard disk (system and all my necessary stuff) where my FS2004 installation reside.My FS2004 install in this image is tweaked max and have all my prefered addon's installed.Time consuming matter .. it's less time to restore this hard disk image than reinstall only FS2004 and all those addons :)I had to use this image once and it was not because a FS2004 deffect .....Regards. frosty.gif

Just completed a full reinstall of FS9 and addons today... My first reinstall since I first purchased FS9 since its release in the UK.Unfortunately as i went to reinstall I got to disk 4 and FS stopped installing at 92%, as it could not read / copy the World.cab file, so decided to buy a new set of disks... and FS is running a lot smoothly with a clean install.Now to put all my World Of AI back in... /DY2 :(

Currently in the midst of a reinstall myself. seems my FS9 picked up a nasty trait of stuttering when I flew East.2 hrs isn't bad considering mine will take about a week with scenery, aircraft and defrags.Not to mention trying to figure out how to network everything this time over widefs.Cheers

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Guest blazingcessna
Currently in the midst of a reinstall myself. seems my FS9 picked up a nasty trait of stuttering when I flew East.2 hrs isn't bad considering mine will take about a week with scenery, aircraft and defrags.Not to mention trying to figure out how to network everything this time over widefs.Cheers
A week!!!! :(My installation is 22.4GB currently, but it does appear the issues I was having were (Thankfully) caused by my old vid card. I assume the folks who haven't had the pleasure, don't tweak the sim too much. Perhaps it is time I quit that too! :(

Guest Ocala 1

Blazingcessna.....Are you saying that when you reinstall FS9 you delete your Flight Simulator 9 folder? Just wondering.Harold

Guest blazingcessna
Blazingcessna.....Are you saying that when you reinstall FS9 you delete your Flight Simulator 9 folder? Just wondering.Harold
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about the folders! Unistallation goes like this.All add-ons first.Then the program.Then anything else the uninstaller didn't get.Clear out the registry.restart.Scan the registry again. A few things are usually found. Defrag the registry.restartNice and clean.But then there are a few times when I just say SCREW IT!!!! Then I totally reinstall XP.That is where I get the best performance.I hope this what you wanted to know. :(