Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pkofman

New Xmas Computer , Bad Performance

I finally splurged and had a new computer built primarily for fsxI researched this selection of parts pretty heavily before i made my selectionsAfter receiving the machine , loading fsx. sp1 and accel, my frame rates at busy airports with sliders at 3/4 to the right were about 5-6 fps ( flare and bloom off), using stock msfsx aircraft and no addons. nothing fancy at this point.I already owned a gtx280 and 9800gtx so those are the cards i put into the systemHere are my specs X58 Core i7 - HD4870X2 CROSSFIRE EXTREME EDITION XPC Intel Core i7 940 Quad Core (2.93GHz) - Socket LGA1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB Cache Boxed Processor (Nehalem - 45nm) Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME Intel X58 | Nvidia 3-way SLI | ATI CrossFireX LGA1366 | DDR3 1800Mhz | Fusion Block | GB LAN | Aud 7.1 | RAID | MAD CRAZY OC! 3x2048MB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) i7 Gold Triple Channel Kit / XTC - OCZ3G1600LV6GK Enermax 1000Watt Galaxy CrossFire/SLI Modular Power Supply - 24/4+4(8p) - HD4870 X2 Ready CoolIT PURE Silent Maintenance-Free Fluid Sealed CPU Cooler (LGA1366 |775|940|AM2|AM2+) Silver - Western Digital VelociRaptor? 300GB (10,000RPM) 16MB Cache SATA2 I added my gtx280 and 9800 gtx ( updaed the drivers to be sure i had the latest) and voila! 5 fps!!!, the system is not overclocked. im using stock speeds right now. So something is wrong, thoughts? Merry Xmas Peter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try to use the 280 alonetwo v cards of different models although the same maufacture will cause conflicts, unless I'm wrong/ which has not occurred in 3 hoursAnd what goes with the term HD4870X2 in the first entry of your specs?Keep it simple

I finally splurged and had a new computer built primarily for fsxI researched this selection of parts pretty heavily before i made my selectionsAfter receiving the machine , loading fsx. sp1 and accel, my frame rates at busy airports with sliders at 3/4 to the right were about 5-6 fps ( flare and bloom off), using stock msfsx aircraft and no addons. nothing fancy at this point.I already owned a gtx280 and 9800gtx so those are the cards i put into the systemHere are my specs X58 Core i7 - HD4870X2 CROSSFIRE EXTREME EDITION XPC Intel Core i7 940 Quad Core (2.93GHz) - Socket LGA1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB Cache Boxed Processor (Nehalem - 45nm) Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME Intel X58 | Nvidia 3-way SLI | ATI CrossFireX LGA1366 | DDR3 1800Mhz | Fusion Block | GB LAN | Aud 7.1 | RAID | MAD CRAZY OC! 3x2048MB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) i7 Gold Triple Channel Kit / XTC - OCZ3G1600LV6GK Enermax 1000Watt Galaxy CrossFire/SLI Modular Power Supply - 24/4+4(8p) - HD4870 X2 Ready CoolIT PURE Silent Maintenance-Free Fluid Sealed CPU Cooler (LGA1366 |775|940|AM2|AM2+) Silver - Western Digital VelociRaptor? 300GB (10,000RPM) 16MB Cache SATA2 I added my gtx280 and 9800 gtx ( updaed the drivers to be sure i had the latest) and voila! 5 fps!!!, the system is not overclocked. im using stock speeds right now. So something is wrong, thoughts? Merry Xmas Peter
You can't SLI two different videocards. You can SLI two different videocards of the same variety though (GTX 280 and GTX 280 OC, for instance). However, the SLI configuration will default to the lower videocards clock speed so there is no point in it. You stated you "added your GTX 280 and 9800 GTX", is there something else in there besides those two cards?

You can't SLI two different videocards. You can SLI two different videocards of the same variety though (GTX 280 and GTX 280 OC, for instance). However, the SLI configuration will default to the lower videocards clock speed so there is no point in it. You stated you "added your GTX 280 and 9800 GTX", is there something else in there besides those two cards?
thanks for the reply and merry xmasI did not connect the cards in sli, for the moment they are just two independant cards and im only two monitors on the gtx 280. are you saying that even if im not running in sli then it will default to the 9800gtx>thanksPeter

thanks for the reply and merry xmasI did not connect the cards in sli, for the moment they are just two independant cards and im only two monitors on the gtx 280. are you saying that even if im not running in sli then it will default to the 9800gtx>thanksPeter
Thanks and merry Christmas to you too. :)I don't think you can have two different videocards in your pc at all. There was a driver I read about long ago, but I have no idea how it runs or if it even exists any longer. Two different videocards installed at the same time is a no-no (at least as far as I know).You would not be able to run those two cards in SLI. SLI would need 2x GTX 280 or 2x 9800GTX. My reference regarding differet cards in SLI meant 1x GTX 280 and 1x GTX 280 OC (same card, different speed). I do believe that is possible, but with two different videocards completely....no. Take the 9800GTX out and see what your performance is. Hope this helps.

two v cards of different models although the same maufacture will cause conflicts, unless I'm wrong/ which has not occurred in 3 hours
Thanks and merry Christmas to you too. :)I don't think you can have two different videocards in your pc at all. There was a driver I read about long ago, but I have no idea how it runs or if it even exists any longer. Two different videocards installed at the same time is a no-no (at least as far as I know).
There is no problem running the 280 GTX and the 9800 GTX together with the latest drivers from Nvidia as long as you are not trying to run them in SLI. Both cards can be used for a PhysX configuration. I have run my 280 GTX and an 8800 Ultra on an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard with the 180 series drivers without any problems. All you have to do is select one of the two video cards for PhysX in the control panel and the other will be used for primary video duty, works like a charm but keep in mind that PhysX will do nothing for flight sim. Nvidia Gaming:ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (Intel X48 chipset) BIOS 0701Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)EVGA GTX 280 FTW (Beta 180.84 Drivers)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaSILVERSTONE 1200Watt DASILVERSTONE TJ09-BATI Gaming:ASUS Rampage Extreme BIOS 0901Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Intel Extreme Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 8.12)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaPC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000WLIAN LI PC-A70B

There is no problem running the 280 GTX and the 9800 GTX together with the latest drivers from Nvidia as long as you are not trying to run them in SLI. Both cards can be used for a PhysX configuration. I have run my 280 GTX and an 8800 Ultra on an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard with the 180 series drivers without any problems. All you have to do is select one of the two video cards for PhysX in the control panel and the other will be used for primary video duty, works like a charm but keep in mind that PhysX will do nothing for flight sim. Nvidia Gaming:ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (Intel X48 chipset) BIOS 0701Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)EVGA GTX 280 FTW (Beta 180.84 Drivers)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaSILVERSTONE 1200Watt DASILVERSTONE TJ09-BATI Gaming:ASUS Rampage Extreme BIOS 0901Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Intel Extreme Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 8.12)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 BetaPC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000WLIAN LI PC-A70B
Good call, Dj. I totally forgot about that. It could be the matter of a configuration setting where there's a conflict happening somewhere. I have not run two different cards simultaneously so I am not too sure.

If I had to guess, I'd say chipset mis-match with the NVidia cards, which are meant for SLI. If you have a TRUE CROSSFIRE board, those are meant for ATI.Just a guess really, but I'd guess there.

If I had to guess, I'd say chipset mis-match with the NVidia cards, which are meant for SLI. If you have a TRUE CROSSFIRE board, those are meant for ATI.Just a guess really, but I'd guess there.
The Intel X58 chipset that the Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME uses is Nvidia SLI and ATI Cross Fire compatible.Even with an X48 based motherboard, as long as you are not setting it up for SLI, there is no

The Intel X58 chipset that the Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME uses is Nvidia SLI and ATI Cross Fire compatible.Even with an X48 based motherboard, as long as you are not setting it up for SLI, there is no

I don't know about SLI as the only time I ever used two video cards was back around 12 years ago connecting two 3DFX Voodoo Cards.....those were the days.....might have even been longer. But I have been doing some testing for a guy over at another forum with a very similar problem. He has an Asus P6 i7 940 with 2 of the same video cards. In the exact same area......sliders were set at the same level....he was getting 6 FPS and I was getting 14 to 20 FPS with an i7920....we had the sliders just about all maxed....with GA traffic at 100%...anyway I think it has something to do with the two cards. He was going to remove one card and report back but have not heard from him yet.
The last time I tested SLI with FSX was over a year ago with an Nvidia 680i based motherboard and two 8800 GTX

Thought I would give you and an update.....heard from the guy over at Orbx. He finaly removed one of his video crads....FPS back to normal. He has a config very similar to yours. Counting you this makes the 3rd person with the Asus M/B for the i7 that has had this problem. Hope you get yours worked out.

Guys merry xmas, happy holidays to you allI am now away for a few days but i am going to remove one card ( 980gtx) and just run on the 280 , Ill see how that works.I did set up the physix for 280 but i did not realize that it did not provide a benefit to fsxThe shop that built this set up for me ran the computer and inserted an ati hd x2 card and ran the mark 6 test and told me that he saw scores around 18000.I understand that is awesome but that was not my experienceI am going to to back to running the single card and then ill report backBy the way i also understand that the rampage 2 extreme board is sli and xfire compatiblethanks allpeterpkofman@rogers.com

Latest update on this issue.As suggested through replies to my original post i removed the mismatched cardsI only have the nvidea 280 in the machine now.I ran the mark 6 benchmark program and all i was only able to get was a score of 10000.With two cards I got 10000. ( gtx280 and 980 gtx) , i dont think the mismatch had much to do with the issues at handI then reset the bios , cleared the driver and installed the latest drivers for the nvidea card and then ran the benchmark again. My score was a paltry 9945. Now that score is so much slower than my old core 2 duo and a simple 9800 gtx.So I then overclocked the MB and ran up to 3.2 with the i7 940 native at 2.92. I did this to check if the cpu would make a difference to the mark 6 score My benchmark score remained at below 10000. I then ran fsx with a stock baron at cyyz with all sliders set to medium high and the best frame rate was 9.0__I dont know what everyone would deduce from this but i think the gtx 280 is flawed. Not the cpu. Thoughts??Peter

Core i7 CPUs aren't going to do much for FSX.
Really??I understood that fsx is cpu intensive so how is it possible that an i7 would not provide a benefit?Peter

I'd reinstall everything (windows too), and only use the GTX280Get the 180.48 drivers and install FSX, run it once, then install SP1, run it once, then install SP2 or Acceleration

I'd reinstall everything (windows too), and only use the GTX280Get the 180.48 drivers and install FSX, run it once, then install SP1, run it once, then install SP2 or Acceleration
I did run that driver. i took out the other card etc.Why do you think i should reinstall windows? Are you suggesting a clean format and then reinstall? Is it your opinion that this is a hardware or software issue or machine level issue?Regards Peter

I did run that driver. i took out the other card etc.Why do you think i should reinstall windows? Are you suggesting a clean format and then reinstall? Is it your opinion that this is a hardware or software issue or machine level issue?Regards Peter
Download unzip and run CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_149.zipPost the CPU and the MEMORY tabs here.. if those check out it would seem there is a installation problem.. possibly OS system files or the chipset drivers with the OS, or, the BIOS itself. I cant see both cards doing the same thing but I would not have installed Windows with both cards in the systemHave we updated Direct X correctly? ..... and installed ALL our Windows Update Critical updates and service packs?If not.. get to Windows Update and get the system updated correctlyAlso.. when you set up FSX follow these instructionsFSX TUNINGhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...=28735&PN=2http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=163716#163716FOLLOW THE LINK(s) IN THE FIRST POSTSET UP FSX EXACTLY AS I POSTED THEN...READ BOTH POSTS AND TUNE BY REDUCING SLIDERS AND EDITING THE FSX.CFG BASED ON WHAT I MENTION IN SETTINGS CHANGES FOR FASTER/SLOWER SYSTEMS and DO use Nhancerhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=156769#156769Reaquires Net Framework 2.0 for XP.. in Vista if you have NET 3-3.5 that worksAs for Vista and I assume that is the OS in use here... I would at the very LEAST do the followingIn Vista, disable the following:1. Completely shut down the Defender Program/Service2. Completely disable UAC3. Completely disable Aero4. Completely shut down the Indexing Service5. (OPTIONAL but I WOULD) Completely shut down System Restore6. (OPTIONAL) Completely shut down Automatic updates but only the GUI automatic update setting, not the service and manually ENABLE for Windows Update once a month.7. Use NOD32 as the security software, just the AV product and NOT thier entire security suite product As with XP you need to go through the start registry and make sure nothing is booting not needed... like Real player, MS messenger, etc.. those do not need to start with Windows and can be launched from a shortcut on the desktop if desired. Many software packages install unneeded startup keys. Adobe Acrobat is one, useless startup that does not need to be there.. and many software packages have "automatic monthly updating' features that are also not necessary and clog up the works. You should always enter the settings for newly installed software and check to see if it has 'auto update' and 'start with windows' enabled.. if so, kill those features.You can review the first 6 posts in this thread about optimizing Windows and taking care of odds and ends like the right defrag http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1208959973and when you install FSX MAK SURE you follow this list1. Install RTM, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and g ahead and boot the default flight.2. Close the simIf you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.3. Reboot the computer4. Install Acceleration which will install SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight. 5. Close the simIf you want the Acceleration SDK install it from the disk.6. Reboot the computerIf installing for a non-acceleration SP2 its the same process except install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer then repeat for SP2 The KEY is to BOOT THE SIM let the default flight load THEN close and reboot the computer before applying the next SP patchMake sure you have the latest DirectX UPDATE installed.Make sure you have the C++ library update installed.You can activate it now at anytime8. Start the sim, set up the sliders/checkboxes as you had them. Close the sim9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.DO NOT MIGRATE the FSX.cfg file you have!Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file. and only install the OS with ONE video card in the system... and my choice would not be the 4870 x2

Core i7 CPUs aren't going to do much for FSX.
Their OC'abilty sure as heck does. My new system completely kicks the snot out of my OC'd E6600 with an 8800GTX and I am running a much higher resolution now. :)The i7 scales quite well when higher end videocards are being used (especially when utilizing SLI).Also, to build off of Nick's recommendation against the 4870X2, the GTX 280 yields better performance in FSX at a lower price point.

Their OC'abilty sure as heck does. My new system completely kicks the snot out of my OC'd E6600 with an 8800GTX and I am running a much higher resolution now. :)The i7 scales quite well when higher end videocards are being used (especially when utilizing SLI).Also, to build off of Nick's recommendation against the 4870X2, the GTX 280 yields better performance in FSX at a lower price point.
Guys thanks for thanking the time to send me this detailed post. OK. now im going to start again and reinstall fsxHow do i ensure that i have removed fsx, including all service packs and direct x 10I really dont want to reformat and start freshalso is there a way to unistall aero other than to turn it off in personalization prefs or is that good enough.as a note when i installed fsx before i installed fsx, sp1 and then accel and respective sdk's in that order.I will try the above and report back

Guys thanks for thanking the time to send me this detailed post. OK. now im going to start again and reinstall fsxHow do i ensure that i have removed fsx, including all service packs and direct x 10I really dont want to reformat and start freshalso is there a way to unistall aero other than to turn it off in personalization prefs or is that good enough.as a note when i installed fsx before i installed fsx, sp1 and then accel and respective sdk's in that order.I will try the above and report back
I go through everything after I do an uninstall. That includes checking to see if Add/Remove actually removed the folder and files. After using Add/Remove (and making sure Add/Remove actually removed the FSX folder) be sure to remove the cofig. files and other stuff in your (if you are using Vista) Username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder. Also, you may want to run regedit and do a search for any Microsoft Flightsim keys.

I go through everything after I do an uninstall. That includes checking to see if Add/Remove actually removed the folder and files. After using Add/Remove (and making sure Add/Remove actually removed the FSX folder) be sure to remove the cofig. files and other stuff in your (if you are using Vista) Username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder. Also, you may want to run regedit and do a search for any Microsoft Flightsim keys.
thanks againhere is my config , maybe someone here has some insight into a mismatch or components , just a thoughtIntel Core i7 940 Quad Core (2.93GHz) - Socket LGA1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB Cache (Nehalem - 45nm)Asus RAMPAGE II EXTREME Intel Core I7 X58 | Nvidia Quad SLI | ATI CrossFireX | X16 PCI-E S1366 | DDR3 1800Mhz | Fusion Block | GB LAN | Aud 7.1 | RAID | MAD CRAZY OC!3x2048MB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) i7 Gold Triple Channel Kit / XTC - OCZ3G1600LV6GKAntec P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower - Gun Metal Black Finish Enermax 1000Watt Galaxy CrossFire/SLI Modular Power Supply - 24/4+4(8p) - HD4870 X2 ReadyCoolIT PURE Silent Maintenance-Free Fluid Sealed CPU Cooler (LGA1366 |775|940|AM2|AM2+) Silver Western Digital VelociRaptor? 300GB (10,000RPM) 16MB Cache SATA2On Board SATA, RAID0, 1,10, JBOD Silicon Image Silicon Image 4723 Hardware RAID controllerLG S-ATA GBW-H20L | 50GB 6X BLU-RAY Writer | 16X DVD+RW/-RW Optical Writer | Black Nvidea gtx280 and /or 9800 gtx(?) if it works!58-In-1 Internal Card Reader/Writer with Built-In USB PortOn-Board 10/100/1000 Gigabit Integrated Network Card

My new system completely kicks the snot out of my OC'd E6600 with an 8800GTX and I am running a much higher resolution now. :)
Aaaaaah, I am glad to hear that! At at last I have found someone who has had a E6600 with a 8800GTX too! :) I am going to get a new computer and I am also going for the i7 920, but I am still in doubt what vid card to take. At first I went for the HD4870X2, but I think I like a single GPU card more. And a nVidia one too, because of FSX. Your new system is of course also running better thanks to the new motherboard and better RAM... ;) And Vista 64 bit too I guess? I am still in doubt over the Asus P6T or the Gigabyte board (DU5, if I am not mistaken). Anyway, I am glad to read the purchase will make a real difference! ;)