Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sinnerman49

FSX and Windows 7?

Guest diajohn2

I installed Windows 7 Beta upgraded on my Vista 32 installation. Everything works great. Had to tweak a few things to get Radar Contact, FS Build and a couple of other things working properly. I did turn off UAC but may revisit that sometime soon. UAC kept Radar Contact from working and FS Build lost the link to the PMDG flightplan directory for the MD11. All easily fixed. :(

Networking as we know it in Vista & XP, is gone. W7 has replaced it with 'Homegroups'. To share any type of file between machines you must join the hosts password protected homegroup. Not an option with Vista or XP. So, if you're running ASA, Radar Contact etc on a second machine, then that will have to be 'upgraded' to W7 as well.
You can turn HomeGroups off and go back to username/password based sharing, from the Network and Sharing center, choose the Advanced Sharing options, and in the section that matches your network type (probably home or work, depending on how you configured your network), change the option under "Windows Homegroup connections" to the "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers".And even with HomeGroups enabled, you can still right click on a folder, select Properties, select the Sharing tab, click the Advanced Sharing button, and you have all the same sharing options that Vista has (as far as I can see).I have several shares from one of my Win7 machines and my XP SP3 machine sees them just fine.Tim

I installed Windows 7 Beta upgraded on my Vista 32 installation. Everything works great. Had to tweak a few things to get Radar Contact, FS Build and a couple of other things working properly. I did turn off UAC but may revisit that sometime soon. UAC kept Radar Contact from working and FS Build lost the link to the PMDG flightplan directory for the MD11. All easily fixed. :(
Ah, turning off UAC, didn't think of that of a reason why I coudlnt get My Traffic added to scenery libary, I'l give that a try.CheersPhil

Ah, turning off UAC, didn't think of that of a reason why I coudlnt get My Traffic added to scenery libary, I'l give that a try.CheersPhil
I have the same problem, I cannot add any thing to the scenery library since upgrading to Windows 7. BetaAs a test I deleted a airport scenery which I rarely use and am unable to add it back to the scenery library. BTW I always turn off UAC

I have the same problem, I cannot add any thing to the scenery library since upgrading to Windows 7. BetaAs a test I deleted a airport scenery which I rarely use and am unable to add it back to the scenery library. BTW I always turn off UAC
To add a new scenery file to scenery library, choose file of scenery, click OK button, after this just right click on some emtpy place on menu and it will be ok.

Guest jon419

I am having issues with the Kneeboard not working. It is just a black screen on all pages? Anyone else having the same issue?

To add a new scenery file to scenery library, choose file of scenery, click OK button, after this just right click on some emtpy place on menu and it will be ok.
Thank you for your reply, much easier than hand editing the scenery.cfg fileAlex

Hi everyone,I recently installed Windows 7 Beta on a separate hard drive (dual boot XP SP3/W7) and I would like to know the best way to install FSX to run on W7. I already have FSX instaled under XP, on it's own dedicated hard drive.If I re-install FSX on the W7 drive (to keep it separate from the installation made under XP), I will have to activate FSX again. Will that damage or invalid my current activation under XP ?Those of you using dual boot, how did you proceed to install your same copy of FSX on both OS ?Thank's for any advice you can provide.NBouc

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Anybody had trouble with the install? Mine fails with a "Setup Launcher has stopped working" error. Would love to try FSX as I really love W7 so far. I have run some benchmarks and routine tasks (copying big video files from one folder to another) is almost TWICE as fast on W7-64 than XP-32. But I can't get the darn program to install. Anyone else? Thanks, EddieKABQEDIT - Whoa that was quick. Found this post about the Java installer failing. Figured I'd try it. FSX installed! http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...04-0b7909a9c0b9

Eddie
KABQ

Hi everyone,I recently installed Windows 7 Beta on a separate hard drive (dual boot XP SP3/W7) and I would like to know the best way to install FSX to run on W7. I already have FSX instaled under XP, on it's own dedicated hard drive.If I re-install FSX on the W7 drive (to keep it separate from the installation made under XP), I will have to activate FSX again. Will that damage or invalid my current activation under XP ?Those of you using dual boot, how did you proceed to install your same copy of FSX on both OS ?Thank's for any advice you can provide.NBouc
I have FSX installed on XP32, V64 and W7-64, all on the same machine. They all activated just fine.

I have FSX installed on XP32, V64 and W7-64, all on the same machine. They all activated just fine.
I'm similar,I have it on one drive with Vista and another dirve with Win 7Activation for FSX and Accelartion not a problem.I think you can activated FSX 3 times in some time period as long as it is on same PC or IP, not sure about IP as how would they know.

Thank you Dean and Remind,I'll install FSX on my W7 drive and activate.NBouc

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

And if you happen to get the dialog that says you need to phone in, just go ahead and phone in, tell them you are installing FSX under Win7 Beta to test it in that environment, on the same machine its already installed on under Vista/XP. They should give you a new key (or reset your key, whatever it is they do - I never run an activation-enabled build :-> ).Tim

Thank you Tim, it would be logical indeed for MS to allow installing a second instance of a software (specially theirs) for proper testing without having to buy a second copy of the software.NBouc

Normand