Sign in to follow this  
neumanix

Is my 8800GT a bottleneck?

I recently upgraded from this:Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.5Ghz2GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500Abit IP-35Proto this:Core2Duo E8600 @4.5Ghz4GB Mushkin PC8500Biostar IP45 TPowerThe graphic card used in both these systems is an XFX 8800GT 512MB.Another difference is I'm now running 1920x1080 vs. 1680x1050 on the old system.I hardly see any improvement on the new system even if I run it in a lower resolution, so I'm starting to think that the gfxcard is bottlenecking the system. What do you think?Would it be wise to upgrade to lets say a GTX 280?

I recently upgraded from this:Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.5Ghz2GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500Abit IP-35Proto this:Core2Duo E8600 @4.5Ghz4GB Mushkin PC8500Biostar IP45 TPowerThe graphic card used in both these systems is an XFX 8800GT 512MB.Another difference is I'm now running 1920x1080 vs. 1680x1050 on the old system.I hardly see any improvement on the new system even if I run it in a lower resolution, so I'm starting to think that the gfxcard is bottlenecking the system. What do you think?Would it be wise to upgrade to lets say a GTX 280?
I say "yes", but do not expect a miraculous transformation, given the cpu-boundness of the sim. Likely the res change has some impact, too. Higher-end cards will handle 1920 better. There also may be sys config issues affecting your outcome.In my opin, an E8600 @ 4.5 ghz is a little out-of-balance when mated to an 8800GT. You have a late-gen rig mated to last-gen's graphics card. I don't like saying that about an 8800GT, because it was a good card for its time. I would build an E8600 with something like a GTX280 or 9-series, yes.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nick_N
I say "yes", but do not expect a miraculous transformation, given the cpu-boundness of the sim. Likely the res change has some impact, too. Higher-end cards will handle 1920 better. There also may be sys config issues affecting your outcome.In my opin, an E8600 @ 4.5 ghz is a little out-of-balance when mated to an 8800GT. You have a late-gen rig mated to last-gen's graphics card. I don't like saying that about an 8800GT, because it was a good card for its time. I would build an E8600 with something like a GTX280 or 9-series, yes.
+1Also to the OP.. make sure you are tuning FSX right as well... you would be amazed at what the wrong settings (EVEN LOW SLIDERS) will do to a clocked i7 system! http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041case in point... http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=240476One of the biggest mistakes people make is the thought that lower sliders = better perfomance. FSX is NOT a game, its a simulator and requires thinking a bit outside the box to tickle the hardware by the software settings and get it to run sweet

NeumanixWhat kind of performance are you getting?Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.