Sign in to follow this  
baldk9

Gulfstream

In all the years I have been flight simming I have yet seen a respectfull Gulfstream product. I would think with the abilities out in the markets now some major player in the flight sim market has not developed a decent GV5 or G550, Especially withe fact the capibilities of the aircraft. Just a thoughtRichard Churchill

Richard Spencer

Churchill

PVT SEL

GYSGT

USMC (ret)

Could be due to a lack of in depth technical data being available, many company's won't release this information to the general public or charge huge amounts for use in Level D sims.Rob

Rob Prest

I may be wrong, but this is the information I had:As far as I know, it is just because Gulfstream does not allow anyone to use their name without having a license or the proper authorization to do so. And the authorization has not been given to anyone so far...Eric

You are not wrong, Eric. General Dynamics, the parent company, absolutely will NOT grant a license for any amount of money for a commerical model of any of their aircraft. Period.Even some of the more popular freeware releases have received C&D letters from GD's attorneys. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have never understood that line of thinking.I always thought "there is no such thing as bad advertising".Do they really think there might be somebody out there who was considering purchasing one of their planes and decided not to based on what that person saw in a simulator somewhere? Hmmm...it's a wonder.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I have never understood that line of thinking.I always thought "there is no such thing as bad advertising".Do they really think there might be somebody out there who was considering purchasing one of their planes and decided not to based on what that person saw in a simulator somewhere? Hmmm...it's a wonder.
This is not the point. I Think it is a matter of image. These people don't want to let a bad 3D modeler ruin the image of their "perfect" aircrafts, it may ruin their reputation of perfection.I am in discussion with Dassault Falcon for some time now, they have the same kind of behavior, but are not so closed to simulation. The French author who developed a Falcon 50 never received any letter, and Dassault Falcon is willing to help authors, like me, develop a model of their aircraft. They agree to give (or sell) a license, but they want to keep the right to see the model and block it or let it go for release according to its quality. I think this is a respectable point of view.Eric

There are several, but my preference is Linders Design Gulfstream V by Peter Brun. The file is as follows:gulfstream-v-updated.zipAn earlier version download was as follows:ldgv1.2.zipIn FS9, I use the following panel and love it modified to my personal preference:gulfst04.zipUnfortunately, the panel will not work in FSX, so I have implemented a modified default Learjet 45 panel.If you are a purest and have to see every rivet (and are stuck on 3d virtual), it may not be for you, but it is one of my favorite birds and I fly it often.Mike Stone also has a reasonable contribution: sgulf5.zipAbout the best combination of range, speed, altitude and payload of any exec. aircraft of which I know. It makes it from KJFK to LLBG or the return flight with plenty of reserve if you fly high enough.Good luck:RTH

You are not wrong, Eric. General Dynamics, the parent company, absolutely will NOT grant a license for any amount of money for a commerical model of any of their aircraft. Period.Even some of the more popular freeware releases have received C&D letters from GD's attorneys. :(
This whole "General Dynamics won't allow anyone to do it" thing is nothing more than an urban legend. I know this for a cold hard FACT.

This whole "General Dynamics won't allow anyone to do it" thing is nothing more than an urban legend. I know this for a cold hard FACT.
I'm sorry, my English may not be good enough, your sentence sounds ambiguous to me.Do you mean it is true or it is false?I would be happy to learn that I'm wrong about this subject.Eric

I'm sorry, my English may not be good enough, your sentence sounds ambiguous to me.Do you mean it is true or it is false?I would be happy to learn that I'm wrong about this subject.Eric
Hi Eric,Quoting Wikipedia, "An urban legend or urban myth is a form of modern folklore consisting of stories thought to be factual by those circulating them."... so, to be more specific, it is FALSE. :( Again, I know this to be a FACT.

Perfect Image? How come you can still buy the Abacus G III? That is about as far from perfect as you can get.

Joe Sherrill

Please then, by all means produce the evidence to support your assertion. Having corresponded with General Dynamics several times over the past few years, the response has always been no. The last letter even went so far as to suggest that I please quit asking - phrased ever so politely of course - but still quite clear and unambiguious.Although not directly relevant, to show just how anal GD and Gulftstream about their trademarks, copyrights, and image, read the following regarding their lawsuit against Camp Systems International just for using official Gulfstream manuals! Although GD/Gulfstream ultimately lost the suit, consider for a moment what it cost Camp Systems International in terms of time and legal fees to win... http://www.internetlibrary.com/cases/lib_case428.cfmPart of the reason for their intransigence might be that it would be seen as competing against their own proprietary simulation: http://www.mathworks.com/products/aeroblks...thWorks%20ToolsI may as well point out that Textron, the parent of Cessna, has adopted a licensing scheme as well. One now needs to have their package vetted and approved by them via their proxys at EMI... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Please then, by all means produce the evidence to support your assertion. Having corresponded with General Dynamics several times over the past few years, the response has always been no. The last letter even went so far as to suggest that I please quit asking - phrased ever so politely of course - but still quite clear and unambiguious.Although not directly relevant, to show just how anal GD and Gulftstream about their trademarks, copyrights, and image, read the following regarding their lawsuit against Camp Systems International just for using official Gulfstream manuals! Although GD/Gulfstream ultimately lost the suit, consider for a moment what it cost Camp Systems International in terms of time and legal fees to win... http://www.internetlibrary.com/cases/lib_case428.cfmPart of the reason for their intransigence might be that it would be seen as competing against their own proprietary simulation: http://www.mathworks.com/products/aeroblks...thWorks%20ToolsI may as well point out that Textron, the parent of Cessna, has adopted a licensing scheme as well. One now needs to have their package vetted and approved by them via their proxys at EMI... :(
Well.. considering that my wife is on the GD legal staff, I have first hand information. GD doesn't give a hoot about someone making models of their Gulfstream aircraft. What they DO object to is people marketing the Gulfstream brand without permission and distributing proprietary materials without authorization. But they haven't a single care in the world about flight simmers making models of their aircraft.

"Well, my wife is married to the CEO of General Dynamics... blah, blah, blah."Sorry... but that's a statement without corroborating evidence and really doesn't offer much authority on the subject.Developers have spoken up stating cease and desist orders have been sent out any time a developer tries to produce a Gulfstream. Perhaps you should ask your wife why... because that is fact.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

"Well, my wife is married to the CEO of General Dynamics... blah, blah, blah."Sorry... but that's a statement without corroborating evidence and really doesn't offer much authority on the subject.Developers have spoken up stating cease and desist orders have been sent out any time a developer tries to produce a Gulfstream. Perhaps you should ask your wife why... because that is fact.
Um... excuse me, "Mr Expert"... but I've heard nothing but gossip from people regarding their so-called "cease and desist" letters... no one has ever shown corroborating proof! I'm not required to substatiate my facts any more so than you or anyone else is required to substantiate yours.I am merely stating what I know to be fact... versus what you know to be gossip.End of story..