Sign in to follow this  
data65

I got your Windows Live right here Microsoft! Go Austin!

As for gauges, I think I would find it rather difficult to replicate my Citation X gauges in X-Plane. They are far more complex than anything I've seen made to date for the sim.
RealityXP are producing a X-Plane version of their GNS series. Are your gauges more complicated than that? JeanLuc from RealityXP said
Just wait for the GNS WAAS to be released! this will be our first product on this platform. The learning curve is high, but the capabilities to interact with XPL at any stage of its rendering pipeline, as low level as any single pixel, is simply outstanding and exciting for me! imagine the benefits of what are 3d gauges in the VC in FS, but in 2D too?

Matthew S

Regardless of motive, he is right, it is a violation of MS EULA!"Use of this software or any part of it to transfer data to another program not related to this software is prohibited." Quote from FSX EULA!
That is talking about transfer of data supplied with FSX such as the road and airport data they licenced for use in FSX. The EULA does not prohibit porting of 3rd party addon products, whether commercial or freeware. That is a matter between the 3rd party author and the "porter". Like I said before, just get permission from the original author if you want to port something.

Matthew S

Ed-I have to respectively disagree with #1. I think this used to be the case, and until a few days ago I believed this myself.In my case I have a better flying Baron than I have with the default fsx and 3rd party now-and there are still a lot of variables I'd like to tweak to make it even more.The momentum can now be added.#2-could be a problem still.
My X-Plane wants:Right rudder that's a constant force down the runway & climb. No wandering.More right rudder as I hit that last third of throttle.Ability to side slip like the RealAir Marchetti.Reasonable loopsSpins & recoveriesBraking effect from a constant speed propProper effect when I apply flaps. This doesn't mean always ballooning nose up.A sense of power to weightHow about a Garmin 696 Some aerobatic abilitiesMore 3D in the way of 3D cockpits-----I still don't believe----- at least for my purposesL.Adamson

My X-Plane wants:Right rudder that's a constant force down the runway & climb. No wandering.More right rudder as I hit that last third of throttle.Ability to side slip like the RealAir Marchetti.Reasonable loopsSpins & recoveriesBraking effect from a constant speed propProper effect when I apply flaps. This doesn't mean always ballooning nose up.A sense of power to weightHow about a Garmin 696 Some aerobatic abilitiesMore 3D in the way of 3D cockpits-----I still don't believe----- at least for my purposesL.Adamson
I am not sure all of the above is not possible (except the 696).That is what is so puzzling to me about this sim. It does seem there many superior areas-however nothing much seems to exist to show it off?!Like a tree falling in a forest-did it really happen?You would think that would be the first thing they would want to do...have a selection of high quality aircraft that rival the best fs has and even exceeds it. I used to think it wasn't possible-therefore the "myth"-now I am wondering.All I know is I've got something for what I need that flies much better than I have in fsx-and you know me-I have no loyalty but to what best serves my needs.Add some other realities and I may not be going back to fsx...much. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=243813

I am not sure all of the above is not possible (except the 696).That is what is so puzzling to me about this sim. It does seem there many superior areas-however nothing much seems to exist to show it off?!Like a tree falling in a forest-did it really happen?You would think that would be the first thing they would want to do...have a selection of high quality aircraft that rival the best fs has and even exceeds it. I used to think it wasn't possible-therefore the "myth"-now I am wondering.All I know is I've got something for what I need that flies much better than I have in fsx-and you know me-I have no loyalty but to what best serves my needs.Add some other realities and I may not be going back to fsx...much. http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=243813
I can see your point. I want something more along the lines of the RealAir SF260 or Spitfire. The SF260 is the closest to my RV. The Spit is the most fun... sim landing, I've ever had. It's that power to weight thing, and making the perfect landing without bounce. So far, no X-Plane has measured up, in that aspect.L.Adamson

I can see your point. I want something more along the lines of the RealAir SF260 or Spitfire. The SF260 is the closest to my RV. The Spit is the most fun... sim landing, I've ever had. It's that power to weight thing, and making the perfect landing without bounce. So far, no X-Plane has measured up, in that aspect.L.Adamson
You ought to tinker with the default RV (isn't there one?) and see if you can get something better. I was surprised how easy it is. There are so many little things that start to come out-the cockpit shakes around while you are waiting to takeoff, the nosewheel starts trying to come off near rotation, the sloped runways, and of course real noises for prop/manifold changes...Again-I was totally against it after 3 days but it took a little longer to start to see what it can do.

You ought to tinker with the default RV (isn't there one?) and see if you can get something better. I was surprised how easy it is. There are so many little things that start to come out-the cockpit shakes around while you are waiting to takeoff, the nosewheel starts trying to come off near rotation, the sloped runways, and of course real noises for prop/manifold changes...Again-I was totally against it after 3 days but it took a little longer to start to see what it can do.
RV's vary of course, but the X-Plane models were far from mine. They took forever to get up to speed, while mine can hit the yellow arc not far from the pattern. They pitched up with flaps instead of pitching down; and it was again forever to lose airspeed with throttle back. But to be fair, I haven't seen great renditions of constant speed props, anywhere. I don't remember if I tried looping the X-Plane RV. Some X-Planes do loop, and others go crazy, like MSFS did years ago. BTW---- I like that "head latency" effect that works so well in FSX. Is any of this available for X-Plane? It brings life to the virtual cockpit instead of seeming so static. One more thing. I'm typing this on my old CPU. The "sim" machine has been down for a good month. You'd think I'd take it in to get fixed....L.Adamson

RV's vary of course, but the X-Plane models were far from mine. They took forever to get up to speed, while mine can hit the yellow arc not far from the pattern. They pitched up with flaps instead of pitching down; and it was again forever to lose airspeed with throttle back. But to be fair, I haven't seen great renditions of constant speed props, anywhere. I don't remember if I tried looping the X-Plane RV. Some X-Planes do loop, and others go crazy, like MSFS did years ago. BTW---- I like that "head latency" effect that works so well in FSX. Is any of this available for X-Plane? It brings life to the virtual cockpit instead of seeming so static. One more thing. I'm typing this on my old CPU. The "sim" machine has been down for a good month. You'd think I'd take it in to get fixed....L.Adamson
I haven't even been working with the 3d cockpits yet. The ones available seem very primitive compared to fsx but the 9.30 seems to do alot for resolution etc. I'll head out and loop the Baron right now..:lol

BTW---- I like that "head latency" effect that works so well in FSX. Is any of this available for X-Plane? It brings life to the virtual cockpit instead of seeming so static.
Yes, it's in the view menu called "Cinema Verite".From the 9.20 release notes
If 'Cinema Verite' is on and you are in 3-D cockpit mode (control-o) then your viewpoint will move with the G-load.

Matthew S

BTW--- Ever flown in a North American P-51D Mustang? I have! It was great, and it hasn't been produced since the mid 1940's. Imagine that..

No I haven't, but you are talking about the real world which doesn't need updating, unlike MSFS/XP which need to evolve to better simulate the real world.
That's one of the things I'd like to see in X-Plane a good P-51D Mustang (Preferably a TF-51D), which is my favorite aircraft. Like Larry I have also had the opportunity to fly one. Right now the only version that I have seen that comes close is the Shockwave (Now A2A) P-51D. It even could do the slow speed maneuvers with the rudder right around stall speed, without stalling. Here's a video comparison I did between my real flight and FSX. The main issue I've seen in the FSX version is it loses energy in a loop to quick and comes close to stalling, where the real one didn't come as close. Video's are in multiple parts, go to the next part by clicking the video in the video response section of the page. Crazy Horse TF-51D Flight
FSX Recreation
I've tried a couple of freeware versions in X-Plane but didn't think they flew right, I know there is a payware version, but haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have never tried X-plane, and before the last few days, I had no interest in even trying it, but some of the posts here (especially Geofa's post) has gotten me very excited and interested in X-plane. I am now hoping that some of the great FSX plane makers will produce some planes for X-plane.In regards to X-plane, I like the idea that a small company (compared to MS) is trying to build the next great flight sim. I also like the fact that one of the programmer/developer (sorry, I don't know the exact/correct title you hold) is on this forum giving us some info, and seems very responsive to some of the concerns some people have about X-plane. I feel he's doing a great job explaining X-plane.I am still disappointed that MS laid off the ace team, and although MS know exactly what they are planning on doing in the future regarding flight sim, they only give us flight fans very vague statements. Plus, the fact that their PR continously refers to their commitment to "flying game", makes me wonder how serious they are about developing a flight sim when they refer to it as a "flying game" (flying game?? What the heck is a flying game? I want a flight sim)!I am going to download the x-plane demo and check it out. Not being a real world pilot, my main wish would be to have: great graphics, easy set up, easy control set up (I have a yoke, pedals), and great graphics in the virtual cockpit. If the graphics are not up to FSX, maybe they will be in the near future.

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Taking a licensed product made for FS and 'porting' it to X-Plane would violate the licensing agreement for the FS product.
Regardless of motive, he is right, it is a violation of MS EULA!"Use of this software or any part of it to transfer data to another program not related to this software is prohibited." Quote from FSX EULA!
I think that is over restrictive.In any case, that would apply _at most_ to MSFS default airfiles.Any 3rd party airfile does not belong to MS, and the user can do whatever he wants with it, provided he does not redistribute it.Also note that the user _does not_ require the authorization of the airfile author to use it in X-Plane, as long as he doesn't redistribute the airfile itself.I completely agree that I don't like this solution, and that it would be absolutely preferable to have a better X-Plane flight model.Marco
There are so many little things that start to come out-the cockpit shakes around while you are waiting to takeoff
I think that's a bug, not a deliberate feature, it appeared during this beta I think, and I find it very irritating... :( I seem to remember the old pro pilot had a "shaking" feature with idle engine and it was nice.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I think that is over restrictive.In any case, that would apply _at most_ to MSFS default airfiles.Any 3rd party airfile does not belong to MS, and the user can do whatever he wants with it, provided he does not redistribute it.Also note that the user _does not_ require the authorization of the airfile author to use it in X-Plane, as long as he doesn't redistribute the airfile itself.I completely agree that I don't like this solution, and that it would be absolutely preferable to have a better X-Plane flight model.MarcoI think that's a bug, not a deliberate feature, it appeared during this beta I think, and I find it very irritating... :( I seem to remember the old pro pilot had a "shaking" feature with idle engine and it was nice.Marco
Yes Pro Pilot had it-especially during engine startup. If it is a bug I'd like to keep it (along with the new bugs on the windshield that could be bigger imho).

I think that is over restrictive.In any case, that would apply _at most_ to MSFS default airfiles.Any 3rd party airfile does not belong to MS, and the user can do whatever he wants with it, provided he does not redistribute it.Also note that the user _does not_ require the authorization of the airfile author to use it in X-Plane, as long as he doesn't redistribute the airfile itself.I completely agree that I don't like this solution, and that it would be absolutely preferable to have a better X-Plane flight model.Marco
Any 3rd party airfile belongs to said 3rd party. You might want to read their EULA before you decide you have the right to move it to a different platform. I'll tell you right now most addons for FS are licenced to the specific version they're developed for and thus even moving them across versions can violate the EULA.Most would agree that all the pirate groups on the internet are a bad thing, stealing people's products and offering it up for free. However, apparently most don't feel they're doing anything wrong when they themselves violate the license... as long as they're not giving it away.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Any 3rd party airfile belongs to said 3rd party. You might want to read their EULA before you decide you have the right to move it to a different platform. I'll tell you right now most addons for FS are licenced to the specific version they're developed for and thus even moving them across versions can violate the EULA.
Let's not be hypocrites. The simple act of reverse-engineering the MSFS airfiles was a violation of the EULA.And without that, there would not have been 3rd party aircrafts with high quality flight models.And airfiles are not the only thing that have been reverse-engineered in MSFS.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]