Sign in to follow this  
Guest PatinNC

Software Questions

Guest PatinNC

Hi all,We (technology company) have been asked if we can build a flight simulator display at a transportation museum. The museum has asked for specific restrictions from the software. My questions to all of you are these.The simulator will not have a keyboard or mouse. Only a flight yoke, throttle quadrant (multi-engine) and rudder pedals. Can the software be started, options selected and the simulation stopped, all from these controls only?Can the simulation be started already in flight? Can it be timed and ended after that time expires?Can the number and type of aircraft be limited or picked from a customizable selection. (general aviation or commercial aviation only, no military aircraft) Is there an "Easy" mode to limit functions for children?We are trying to determine which flight sim software would allow these features, if any. We would really appreciate any input this community would have. We also value any advice or wisdom that we should be thinking about. This is meant to be an interactive display along side a Piedmont Airlines DC-3. So if the simulation would feature a DC-3...all the better!Thanks Very Much for any help!Pat in NC

Hi all,We (technology company) have been asked if we can build a flight simulator display at a transportation museum. The museum has asked for specific restrictions from the software. My questions to all of you are these.The simulator will not have a keyboard or mouse. Only a flight yoke, throttle quadrant (multi-engine) and rudder pedals. Can the software be started, options selected and the simulation stopped, all from these controls only?Can the simulation be started already in flight? Can it be timed and ended after that time expires?Can the number and type of aircraft be limited or picked from a customizable selection. (general aviation or commercial aviation only, no military aircraft) Is there an "Easy" mode to limit functions for children?We are trying to determine which flight sim software would allow these features, if any. We would really appreciate any input this community would have. We also value any advice or wisdom that we should be thinking about. This is meant to be an interactive display along side a Piedmont Airlines DC-3. So if the simulation would feature a DC-3...all the better!Thanks Very Much for any help!Pat in NC
You probably want to do something like these guys did:http://www.abt.com/blog/2008/02/take-off-w...ight-simulator/My guess is though, that you still need a keyboard and mouse to get the Windows system startedand FSX with FSIUPC up and running.Also, knowing Windows, there are always ways to crash the system and someone will have to restart it...

Bert

Why not consider "Kiosk mode" in FSX. Go to the root folder of FSX and open up the file: kiosk.rtf for more informationJim Rhoads

I presume there is a keyboard and mouse somewhere in the background because FSX is a Windows based application which can't be installed without using these interface devices. I therefore presume that your questions refer to the demonstration of a single flight, in which case the simulation can be started and stopped, or to be accurate it can be paused and reset, with only the buttons found on virtually any flight yoke. As far as flight options such as raising and lowering landing gear, flaps extension etc. there is a vast range from which you could choose with the only limitation being the number of buttons available on your particular yoke.The simulation can be started in flight and returned to this starting point when the flight is reset. There is a Kiosk mode which will run without any input from a user although I don't know much about it. It may allow a flight to expire after an interval of time.There is a very nice DC3 among the default aircraft in FSX. You can limit the number of aircraft available by simply deleting the ones you don't want, although aircraft selection can only be performed by using a keyboard or mouse.There is a Realism dialogue and realism can be set to any level you desire, although this can't be done without using a keyboard or mouse.To answer your questions more fully I suggest that you acquire a copy of FSX and examine it in detail. It's fun and you'll get a better idea of what it can do from some first hand experience. Feel free to post any more questions you may have.Welcome to Avsim.

Mike Beckwith

FSX is a Windows based application which can't be installed without using these interface devices.
Not only that - If I remember correctly - if a PS2 device is removed, Windows itself will crash.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest PatinNC

Thanks Everyone,Yes there will be a keyboard and mouse attached to the computer. They just won't be available to the occupant of the simulator. I read some about Kiosk mode and that appears to be a running movie only. We want this to be a working simulator but just toned down for anyone to sample...or try.I agree...we need to aquire a copy of FSX. It appears there are 3 versions?? I'm sure the museum will want the version that includes the DC-3. If it is included in the basic version...I think that is all we will need.You have all given me great information and we appreciate your help. This is what is good about the Internet!The flight yoke we are looking at from Precision Flight Controls has 8 programable switches and is USB. They have a wonderful flight console on sale...but for our project...it offers to much information for our junior pilots! We are looking at a multi-engine throttle quadrant from them too.I can inform the Museum of what you have told me here. I suspect we will at least need an active mouse in the simulator for choices of aircraft and some realisms.Thanks again everyone.Pat McMullenSalisbury, NC

Thanks Everyone,Yes there will be a keyboard and mouse attached to the computer. They just won't be available to the occupant of the simulator. I read some about Kiosk mode and that appears to be a running movie only.
Not true.From the kiosk.rtf file:Kiosk mode is a tool for museums, flight schools, and other organizations to let visitors easily experience the wonders of Microsoft

Guest jshyluk

Any version of FSX will have the distinctive DC-3. Before you commit to what resources you think you may need for your project, you should really consider trying out FSX before you look at hardware. The price has come down, so even the Gold Edition is not all that expensive anymore, although museum budgets are always tight.Be aware that the DC-3 is a tail-dragger, and so will be harder to handle on the ground without rudder pedals. I also think that multi-engine controls would provide information overload to junior sim pilots, and that if you can, just stick to a single throttle. However, I could easily be wrong here, I don't have kids, and none that I know have ever used FSX. Nonetheless, I suggest that the best thing is for you to judge for yourself. You can fly with just a keyboard and a mouse (although that's not always easy). If the mouse is within reach of your clients, I would reccommend a trackball mouse, as you can bolt that to your display and nobody gets carpal-tunnel syndrome. If you can get ahold of an XBox controller, FSX flies fine with that, I use mine fairly frequently. Once you see for yourself what the DC-3 is and is not capable of, then you can go shopping for the big hardware. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest PatinNC

Kiosk Mode sounds exactly what we need!We have ordered the Deluxe Edition of FSX. When it comes in we will explore all it's possibilities. The Museum has possible funding for two units. We would then configure one for the younger crowd...very simple...and the second would have full controls for experienced fliers only. I will leave that up to the Museum how they will monitor or control that.Thanks jrhoads for the Kiosk information. That is very helpful.jshyluk...we are trying to keep anyone from gaining access to the computers that will be running the software. That is why we want to keep keyboards out of the simulators.Thanks again everyone...Pat McMullenSalisbury NC

Guest jshyluk
jshyluk...we are trying to keep anyone from gaining access to the computers that will be running the software. That is why we want to keep keyboards out of the simulators.Thanks again everyone...Pat McMullenSalisbury NC
I understand that -- I am wondering what you will use for hardware to try out FSX before you install it as a museum piece. That will probably affect your perception of what FSX can or cannot do before you build your display. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest napamule

That large hardware could be the 'Fly-By-Wire' Airbus, as it can auto land good. Using regular yoke controls, it is as 'easy' to fly as the C172, if not easier due to 'heavy' feel, where the C172 needs more skill to land. You DO plan to land somewhere, or what's the point (heehee). You need some corporate sponsors to kick in some tech skill ('good will'). Good luck.Chuck BNapamule