Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Don't miss this one: a NEW FSX optimizer

I tried it and although it does not hard limit the framerates to 30 (it goes up to 40-45 in sparse scenery) it definitely removes the wild swings into 100+territory. This may actually be a worthwhile function !Try flying at San Clemente Island AFB to get out of detailed scenery and to really experience the difference.
No that I've flown with it on for a while, I must say that if there is a downside to this,I have not discovered it yet...If you have stutters and fps swings, try it... it is easy to do and does not make any permanentchanges to your FSX setup :(

Bert

Thanks Bert:I guess I thought it did "hard limit the framerates" and am glad to learn that it wasn't something I did (or didn't do).With my system such as it is with today's possibilities, I really don't see any "wild swings into 100+", and my display is reasonably smooth, but I will give this a try and see if I can tell any difference.Again, thanks for the constructive comment.Respectfully:RTH

I tried it and although it does not hard limit the framerates to 30 (it goes up to 40-45 in sparse scenery) it definitely removes the wild swings into 100+territory. This may actually be a worthwhile function !Try flying at San Clemente Island AFB to get out of detailed scenery and to really experience the difference.

Interesting Bert. It is definitely locking mine at 30. I wonder what the issues are there. It IS NOT DX10 compliant.
No that I've flown with it on for a while, I must say that if there is a downside to this,I have not discovered it yet...If you have stutters and fps swings, try it... it is easy to do and does not make any permanentchanges to your FSX setup :(
I don't understand why it would have any easily predicted effect in terms of micro-stutters, though I can see some theoretical potential. But it clearly does resolve the surges/spikes I get in UNLIMITED mode as discussed. BTW, I have had these surges/spikes even back with FS9.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10. FSX starts up normally, but there is no change in my unlimited frame rate display. It still will roam around between 30 and 40 (Unlimited setting).>>>>>That is not happening to me, but it does sound like you are definitely getting this running.I am assuming the large yellow "30" in Noel's display is thanks to "FRAPS"????? I do not get the "Unlimited" text in my red display at the top even though it is selected.>>>>>Yes, I mentioned that I am using FRAPS. Why you are not seeing UNLIMITED in your FSX display sounds like a problem. Capture a screen print and show us what your red text shows. Something is amiss, or maybe something in FSX.cfg has eliminated displaying that. Am I supposed to put the ".dll" files in my module folder? What am I missing here? Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong, or is anyone else having similar results? This sounds like a dandy contribution, but these old ears have another short between them.>>>>>>>>>>>> What I am doing that works is just run the .jar GUI from within the folder the entire applet is in, then click that batch file created by the GUI. I sounds like you've done this correctly. I DEFINITELY have a hard lock on frames--well, the FSX counter varies within a tiny range 99% of the time, but I have seen it as high as 37, but this is rare rare. Moves between 29 and 31 when set at the default 30, even when I am in areas I would be seeing 100 FPS UNLIMITED. So yes, it is a quite firm, but not rigid lock.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It's irrelevant fortunately. It was done because FSX's frame counter bounced around between 29.5 and 30.7 or so. You will find this works exactly as advertised. In areas where you would normally see 60 or 70 frames in UNLIMITED, you will now see 30, give or take a fraction. I tried to capture one spot on 30, but missed. FRAPS updates slower, and so sits on 30 more consistently. Save yourself the skeptic mode--go check it out, you'll be glad you did I'm sure :(
Test it out and see if it is an issue for you:1. Set frames to 30 within FSX.2. Open up a flight situation where frames are unable to stay steady over about 24 or so that is constant (ie, you're not moving around). For example, in a heavy in a big terminal with heavy clouds or whatever it takes to bring your machine down to about 24 or so when frames are locked within FSX at 30.3. Now change to UNLIMITED.If you experience something similar to me, you will see your displayed frame rate come up considerably--maybe 20% or so.The issue again is, this applet lets you run at UNLIMITED, with no downside of creating potential for surges/spikes. Have you seen surges/spikes in UNLIMITED MODE? If you haven't noticed this, that's great. It's an issue for me from FS9 and a much different couple of machines to this current rig and FSX. I've read of others who have noticed this. I'm sure it can be worse in some than in other rigs, dependent perhaps on many issues that allow a system to "breath" a bit too much in low complexity areas. There also may be other ways to resolve this, however this is my first success in this issue so it is exciting to me!

Noel

Guest napamule

This Java 'Gizmo' (sorry about the pun) has an 'F' key so you can INCREASE the fps? Why? You're at UNLIMITED already. (Huh?-Does not compute). Perhaps it means what it says by it's name: LIMITER. Perhaps it sets fps to 96% (97%?). In the past posts on this subject reached the concensus to NOT set it to unlimited, but to 99% (97%?). And then adjust sliders to get rid of stutters. Maybe it 'limits' the sliders, too. Maybe it should of been called 'AUTO LIMITER 97% Version Oh two (much)'. LMHO. (Clever guy).Chuck BNapamule

This Java 'Gizmo' (sorry about the pun) has an 'F' key so you can INCREASE the fps? Why? You're at UNLIMITED already. (Huh?-Does not compute). Perhaps it means what it says by it's name: LIMITER. Perhaps it sets fps to 96% (97%?). In the past posts on this subject reached the concensus to NOT set it to unlimited, but to 99% (97%?). And then adjust sliders to get rid of stutters. Maybe it 'limits' the sliders, too. Maybe it should of been called 'AUTO LIMITER 97% Version Oh two (much)'. LMHO. (Clever guy).Chuck BNapamule
Come on Chucky B, if you had spent half the time you took to type out this drivel reading the original post you wouldn't need to type out such drivel.I would imagine the realtime control could be used for dialing in an optimal lock while flying/gaming.

Noel

Wow, someone found rabbit droppings in their cereal today huh? Or fell out the wrong side of bed and stubbed their toe?The F key to 'increase' FPS is to increase the LIMIT on FPS, not increase FPS overall - i.e. if you lock FPS using this utility at 25, you could increase that limit to 30 using the F key while the game is running. Pretty simple if you think about rather than rashly sit there and bash away at your keyboard with such replies...

Noel,Thanks for sharing the info. I played with the limiter quite a bit yesterday and I can confirm that it really does smooth things out when you run FSX at unlimited and then use the utility to lock the frames.

Guest jaskanFactor
Wow, someone found rabbit droppings in their cereal today huh? Or fell out the wrong side of bed and stubbed their toe?The F key to 'increase' FPS is to increase the LIMIT on FPS, not increase FPS overall - i.e. if you lock FPS using this utility at 25, you could increase that limit to 30 using the F key while the game is running. Pretty simple if you think about rather than rashly sit there and bash away at your keyboard with such replies...
Sorry Sorry Sorry, have mercy on us who have fewer brain cells than the rest of you,

Sorry Sorry Sorry, have mercy on us who have fewer brain cells than the rest of you,
I can't even make it run :( The application doesn't seem to 'DO' anything!..I tried downloading another copy.Am I 'THAT' stupid? No..... don't answer that :(

I can't even make it run :( The application doesn't seem to 'DO' anything!..I tried downloading another copy.Am I 'THAT' stupid? No..... don't answer that :(
Run the FPS_Limiter_GUI file to run the program.You'll need java installed to run it: Download Java

Sorry,I haven't had a chance to play with this tool yet, but I'm wondering what affects it has on distant blurries? I have always had the mindset to lock the FPS in FS @ 24 or 30 so that available resources can concentrate on distant textures and other threads. Remember, FS has always been about balancing all the necessary processes. Now I understand the willingness to go unlimited if you're in a low poly FS enviornment or on a high-spec machine that will allow it, without much scenery degridation and hence I can see the need for this tool to stop the stutters and spikes. But I really have to ask myself, what other other threads would not get the proper priorty if I'm tricking (locking) the display engine from outside the FS environment? Distant blurries (of the third kind?) are the first thing that come to mind.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest Nick_N
Glad to hear it worked for you :) Heres a LINK to the file mirror at my own RS account Im Omzig here but else where in the FS community im know as Gizmo,you may have seen or even used a few of my repaints (infact i have one in the Avsim AVSIM Reader's Choice Awards Best freeware other VH-AIF HD repaint for the carenado C152)I havent tryed this tweak myself in FSX (although i've used it with other games)as im a DX10 flyer (made my own custom water normals for DX10) but i'll be giving it a look in DX9 now that Noel has posted a glowing review CheersGizmo
This is very interesting application. Most people do not understand the issue. Phil Taylor noted the problem with the release of FSX SP1 whereby Vsync and UNLIMTED FPS creating wild swings in the frame rate. Add in the thread collisions occurring between terrain and autogen and you end up with a very difficult situation to tune.I just did a quick test with this app and I can see where there is value with it and this is something of high interest to me. Bravo Gizmo, bravo.One strange thing... I am seeing something I never did before and that is the autogen is not keeping up with the FA/18 at high speed. Flying 800Kts about 1000ft over Paris @ 100% scenery + overcast conditions the city autogen did not appear until the aircraft was directly over the structures effectively leaving the forward view baron of autogen, however the frames always remained 24-30. It appears some type of priority change is taking place with this app running and throttling UNLIMITED frames.There was still a bit of stutter involved.. I mean lets be realistic. In that situation I was hammering the system with everything but the kitchen sink flying M1+ over Paris with those scenery/weather settings and passing over Orly and Charlie-de.Now of course not many would ever do such flying but what I see with this tool is consistency. It did not resolve every stutter and I was able to run 1 notch higher on the AG slider in a test flight out of KSEA in the 747 without the tool running and set to UNLIMITED however by running the same exact settings I posted in the FSX tuning thread at Simforums, and, running UTX with moving traffic enabled, 1 notch lower (Very Dense) in autogen produced the same smooth result using this tool as running UNLIMTED without the tool. I can deal with that. I definitely see value in using this tool however those who do not know how to tune FSX correctly or refuse to accept their hardware limits and do not correctly balance their system to the sliders may see consistently worse performance over better using this tool. Its apparent to me, at this point, in the past I would enter settings to change the frame lock flying from bush to urban but now the change would be the AG slider instead.. regardless what I am seeing is a consistent result thus far and that alone intrigues me since there are so many BS fixes posted (ie; HT enabled on i7 for one) that its refreshing to see something produce a defined result that can be repeated and defined by tuning.Good work Gizmo :( I need a lot more time to look this over in depth and right now I am focused on GEX Europe. If it pans out I will add this to the tuning list and what I find produces the best universally consistent result.I would not call this an 'Optimizer" ... Its more in line with the term "governor" which attacks the issue brought on by the design of SP1/2

Guest Nick_N

@ Noel: If this is the question you were referring to in another thread, I am sorry I missed it. I am so busy right now with GEX Europe the only thing I have had time to do recently is post production images of GEX Europe over at Simforums in the EU thread there. I have not been forum surfing very much lately. Thank you for bringing this to our attention Noel. Bravo to you as well.I will get an in-depth look at the ins and outs of using it as soon as I can