Sign in to follow this  
BlueStar

B747-400ER/ERF

Dan Downs said it would screw everything up
Well, it was more of a hunch based on incomplete information. Geeze.

Dan Downs KCRP

Do not mess with the cfg, there's a ton of custom coding going on (especially with the fuel system) and if the panel doesn't see the right values in the cfg it's going to freak out and do weird things.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Personally i think you can do for example SYD-LAX with a 400 done that flight a couple of times just don't take full ZF fil it up with 1/3 of pax and full tanks you will mke it just fine

I've done LAX-SYD no problem. My neighbor's wife is from down under and they travel there every year with two small kids. At least I can sim it in my office chair, at a lot less cost. 'Course, I don't get to see the fauna and flora.

Dan Downs KCRP

What I tend to do on my MD11 (since my 747 is currently in the post) is fill the pax cabin and empty the rear cargo hold leaving the five pallets in the forward. Then fill the fuel all the way up and ajust the cargo so your Zfw etc isn't red. Bang your done. I flew for 11 hours non stop with 7% left over try this and see the results you getDylan Leonard

Well, it was more of a hunch based on incomplete information. Geeze.
Dan, I didn't mean anything negative! :( But I guess I should have been more careful with my wording because you had said "severely mess things up" not "screw everything up" as I said. :( Anyway, according to Ryan sounds like you were right. Based on what I've seen in the PMDG forum, your "hunches" are usually correct.Fidel Lopez

There are actually quite a few more differences between the 744 and the 744ER/ERF.Of course there is the two AUX tanks which everybody knows about. This means the ER has two AUX fuel pump switches on the fuel control panel. So a simple .cfg change will not give u a ER especially since the AUX tanks mean the fuel system has a different software loaded on the ER as it has different trigger points.(Boeing even had a team at LAX waiting for every ER arrival for a month to load up a new fuel system software as they were having some issues at first) Furthermore the tires are 1" larger (not that that you would notice that in FS :() Qantas ER's are also the only 6 744s with the new WXR-2100 Multiscan WX radar.Leo Calzoni

There are actually quite a few more differences between the 744 and the 744ER/ERF.Of course there is the two AUX tanks which everybody knows about. This means the ER has two AUX fuel pump switches on the fuel control panel. So a simple .cfg change will not give u a ER especially since the AUX tanks mean the fuel system has a different software loaded on the ER as it has different trigger points.(Boeing even had a team at LAX waiting for every ER arrival for a month to load up a new fuel system software as they were having some issues at first) Furthermore the tires are 1" larger (not that that you would notice that in FS :( ) Qantas ER's are also the only 6 744s with the new WXR-2100 Multiscan WX radar.Leo Calzoni
Leo, the addional switches and software are not surprising to me. Makes sense that you'd need more switches for more fuel tanks. It's very interesting, however, that the tires are 1" larger. Does that allow for more psi in the tires to account for the higher gross weight of the ER?Fidel Lopez

Guest 413X3

I do wish PMDG added weather radar, updated vc textures and modeling, and an ER/ERF variant. I would buy an expansion package for 30+ usd

Of course there is the two AUX tanks which everybody knows about.
Two Aux tanks are most definitely an option, but I haven't heard of anyone taking up that option. Qantas only has one Aux tank. The overhead panel Aux Fuel Tank switches arm the automatic fuel pumping process, but the Aux pumps may not necessarily be used to empty the tank. This can be done by differential air pressure. If the diff pressure is low, air pumps pressurise the aux tank to transfer fuel from the Aux Tank.
Qantas ER's are also the only 6 744s with the new WXR-2100 Multiscan WX radar.
I'm pretty sure I've seen Multiscan Radar panels on other non-ER airlines (e.g. Air New Zealand... and this was, perhaps, even prior to the introduction of the ER). Neither is the ISFD (LCD type standby instrument) exclusive to the ER's.The ER's also have a different cargo fire suppression system, different ignition system logic and hundreds of other minor logic/detail changes.Rgds.Q>

Guest hangar744

Hi all,personally I've never heard of two AUX tanks. 744ER's if equipped with auxiliary fuel tank system, to my knowledge they have the one and only AUX tank with 3210 US gallon capacity in the forward cargo compartment. A very interesting feature of this system is that the primary method of aux tank fuel transfer is cabin air pressure based on the difference between cabin pressure and center wing tank pressure. So the two extra switches on the overhead are NOT transfer pump switches. Where would be the second aux tank fitted?regards,delcom

Guest RBTwoEleven
Hi all,personally I've never heard of two AUX tanks. 744ER's if equipped with auxiliary fuel tank system, to my knowledge they have the one and only AUX tank with 3210 US gallon capacity in the forward cargo compartment. A very interesting feature of this system is that the primary method of aux tank fuel transfer is cabin air pressure based on the difference between cabin pressure and center wing tank pressure. So the two extra switches on the overhead are NOT transfer pump switches. Where would be the second aux tank fitted?regards,delcom
Would the Horizontal Stab Tank not be considered an AUX tank?

HiCould an ER fly London-Sydney non-stop?And does Qantas actually fly it?

mastery.jpg

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit / Intel Core i5-3550 @3.30 GHz / 8.00 Gb RAM / ATI Radeon HD 7800 2Gb

HiCould an ER fly London-Sydney non-stop?And does Qantas actually fly it?
No, Qantas fly LHR-SIN-SYD or LHR-BKK-SYD. They used to do LHR-HKG-SYD but that's now LHR-HKG-MEL.VH-OJA (standard B747-400) broke the commerical aircraft distance record flying LHR-SYD non-stop on its delivery flight in 1989. I believe it used special high-desnity fuel, was towed to the runway, and followed its optimum altitude pretty closely. So I imagine a 747-400ER could do it, but probably in similar circumstances.Cheers,Rudy

Guest 413X3

Flying East with the winds could probably be done, no way coming back west could it do it