Sign in to follow this  
zachlog

ATC Airspeed Restrictions

As far as RC is concerned, what is the proper way of handling ATC directives to reduce speed to 250 kts when at or below 10,000' but the aircraft is simply too heavy to fly it clean at that speed ?ThanksZach

zachlog

As far as RC is concerned, what is the proper way of handling ATC directives to reduce speed to 250 kts when at or below 10,000' but the aircraft is simply too heavy to fly it clean at that speed ?ThanksZach
is this during departure, or approach?have you chosen "heavy" as your aircraft type?jd

is this during departure, or approach?have you chosen "heavy" as your aircraft type?jd
The aircraft type is "Heavy" and the problem occurs during departure. On approaches, GW is sufficiently low such that this is not an issue.After seeing your question, I went back to the manual and noticed that there is an option "250K Relief" that is supposed to be on p. 2 of the RC menu. I did not know of the existence of this option thus my post. However, when I went back to try it, p. 2 of the RC menu did not have this option available. I tried it kind of quickly and will try it again but just so I know all the parameters related to this issue...... the manual states that the "250K Relief" option becomes available after takeoff. Does this mean immediately after the aircarft is off the runway ? after reaching a certain AGL ?Thanks,Zach

zachlog

I think in RC4 it may be limited to type heavy.

The aircraft type is "Heavy" and the problem occurs during departure. On approaches, GW is sufficiently low such that this is not an issue.After seeing your question, I went back to the manual and noticed that there is an option "250K Relief" that is supposed to be on p. 2 of the RC menu. I did not know of the existence of this option thus my post. However, when I went back to try it, p. 2 of the RC menu did not have this option available. I tried it kind of quickly and will try it again but just so I know all the parameters related to this issue...... the manual states that the "250K Relief" option becomes available after takeoff. Does this mean immediately after the aircarft is off the runway ? after reaching a certain AGL ?Thanks,Zach

In addition to what Ron mentioned, I think in v4 the option is also unavailable in the USA (FAA) airspaces. Try to see if the option for relief appears as a Heavy, in a non-FAA area. I think the option will appear then.Subs

I tested it again and the "250 KT Relief" option is not available on the menu. As before, aircraft type is "Heavy", takeoff is from PANC with GW of 875,000 lbs, got the "exceeding 250 kts" warning at an altitude of 7,640 ft with IAS at 255 kts. P. 2 of the RC menu had only the following options (there were no other option pages):2- Altimeter CK3- Return to PANC4- EMERGENCYThanks,Zach

zachlog

I tested it again and the "250 KT Relief" option is not available on the menu. Takeoff was from PANC with GW of 875,000 lbs, got the "exceeding 250 kts" warning at an altitude of 7,640 ft with IAS at 255 kts. P. 2 of the RC menu had only the following options (there were no other option pages):2- Altimeter CK3- Return to PANC4- EMERGENCYThanks,Zach
The option is in the "Controller info" (just below where the DP options are) when you setup the plan and controller info before the flight, If you know or think you will be too heavy for the 250knot limit then select it after loading the flight plan and before pressing "Start RC"It isn't part of the inflight options at any point.

The option is in the "Controller info" (just below where the DP options are) when you setup the plan and controller info before the flight, If you know or think you will be too heavy for the 250knot limit then select it after loading the flight plan and before pressing "Start RC"It isn't part of the inflight options at any point.
If you mean the "No Dep Speed Restrictions" checkbox, it seems to always be grayed-out/not active. What activates it ?Zach

zachlog

If you mean the "No Dep Speed Restrictions" checkbox, it seems to always be grayed-out/not active. What activates it ?Zach
outside the FAA jurisdiction, it become available.jd

outside the FAA jurisdiction, it become available.jd
So for airports under FAA's jurisdiction, I either a) ignore the ATC directives to reduce speed, or :( don't clean-up the aircraft to be able to fly at reduced speeds until at or above 10,000 ft...... did I get it right ?Thanks,Zach

zachlog

So for airports under FAA's jurisdiction, I either a) ignore the ATC directives to reduce speed, or :( don't clean-up the aircraft to be able to fly at reduced speeds until at or above 10,000 ft...... did I get it right ?Thanks,Zach
you could increase the speed deviation value on the options screen.you could lower the 250kts altitude setting, lower.just a couple of thoughts. not sure what the affects would be.jd