Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

I have a beef...

with Microsoft and Fsx!I will admit I have been drawn for the last few months more to Xplane than fsx. But tonight I decided to have some fun and start up fsx to do some compares of the two sims to some real shots.I was greeted with a "you have not activated your software message" on startup-and then some of the menu entries are missing when starting up along with the hundreds of suddenly "trusted" prompts to click -as if I have never run the program before.This happened to me 4 times two years ago-requiring a complete reinstall not only of fsx but all of my add ins each time. I have since had almost two years of peace-but it looks like no longer. Add the fact that Vista is and has been creating havoc on my computer since day one and I've had it.It looks like the ms validation time bomb has gone off again-almost two years since the last one for me-but the pain of reinstalling everything 4x is quite fresh in my memory. I've already lost quite a lot of add ins I paid good money for since some of them were time limited downloads and I just can't justify the time in my life right to spend hours reinstalling everything once again-and it is a many day venture to hunt up-re download, re find serial numbers etc.I have considerable dough invested in fsx and I think this is a crime to punish a loyal user on a routine basis-period.This has just happened too many times. I think it is ridiculous .There is something very wrong here-and it isn't on my end. Considering the recent actions of MS to the Aces team, at this point I may just move over permanently to Xplane. Twenty years ago I had far less troubles than now-is this really an improvement? Perhaps time for MS/Flight sim tea parties? I've had it...

Guest rdg
with Microsoft and Fsx!I will admit I have been drawn for the last few months more to Xplane than fsx. But tonight I decided to have some fun and start up fsx to do some compares of the two sims to some real shots.I was greeted with a "you have not activated your software message" on startup-and then some of the menu entries are missing when starting up along with the hundreds of suddenly "trusted" prompts to click -as if I have never run the program before.This happened to me 4 times two years ago-requiring a complete reinstall not only of fsx but all of my add ins each time. I have since had almost two years of peace-but it looks like no longer. Add the fact that Vista is and has been creating havoc on my computer since day one and I've had it.It looks like the ms validation time bomb has gone off again-almost two years since the last one for me-but the pain of reinstalling everything 4x is quite fresh in my memory. I've already lost quite a lot of add ins I paid good money for since some of them were time limited downloads and I just can't justify the time in my life right to spend hours reinstalling everything once again-and it is a many day venture to hunt up-re download, re find serial numbers etc.I have considerable dough invested in fsx and I think this is a crime to punish a loyal user on a routine basis-period.This has just happened too many times. I think it is ridiculous .There is something very wrong here-and it isn't on my end. Considering the recent actions of MS to the Aces team, at this point I may just move over permanently to Xplane. Twenty years ago I had far less troubles than now-is this really an improvement? Perhaps time for MS/Flight sim tea parties? I've had it...
Thats caused by your zero buildings entry in the fsx.cfg. Bob G

I wish it was that simple...

Guest rdg
Just kidding of course. I think all of us who spend good time in FSX have had weird crap happen. I know that their code is poorly written in many areas. So there are probably issues that have yet to be discovered.Bob
Just kidding of course. I think all of us who spend good time in FSX have had weird crap happen. I know that their code is poorly written in many areas. So there are probably issues that have yet to be discovered.Bob
You know how many times I have said that and came back. More than I have fingers and toes. You will be trading one issue for another. Plus, you love the eye candy. Go ahead admit it! You cant live without it. Bob G

Just kidding of course. I think all of us who spend good time in FSX have had weird crap happen. I know that their code is poorly written in many areas. So there are probably issues that have yet to be discovered.BobYou know how many times I have said that and came back. More than I have fingers and toes. You will be trading one issue for another. Plus, you love the eye candy. Go ahead admit it! You cant live without it. Bob G
Sadly-I think I have had it...I find lots better for what I need on xplane-and I don't have these issues.Rather embarrassing as a mod of this board to be at this point-but this really is not acceptable.You are right-I may have a new attitude in a few days-but I just don't really have time to fuss with this kind of stuff anymore-and that may keep me away permanently.I feel very guilty as I was just asked to beta test some great software for fsx on top of it.

Hi, Geof, and everyone.I wish I had something solid to give you, but unfortunately between Vista, FSX Activation, the Security / User account / Access to your files, it's a mess.I helped a guy a few weeks ago, a former student of mine that bought FSX against my recommendation, that had a similar issue / s.I found out that Vista locked him out of access to some files that FSX needed and I had to go in Safe mode and completely eliminate his Vista security, worked OK for a few days and started acting up again. He did a search on the net and found some Activation bypass, he only has the Deluxe he did not install the SPs, Accl., he installed that and he had no problems since, only about 3 weeks, but it's been working longer than ever before. I do not recommend it, but you may want to look into it? MS needs to release a bypass, this is nuts. They are making more enemies than they will be able to afford. TV

Maybe, just maybe, Win7 will help those who've had issues with Vista in either 32 or 64 bit flavors.I've run Vista 32 for two years and never had issues such as Geof has experienced but I did turn off UAC and DEP.FSX/SP2 and DX10 has never been a problem but then I still run older drivers on my 880GT 512 Factory OC.Finally, I'm probably fortunate because I've never been one to grab all the "latest tweaks and enhancements" and the only addon is F1 Ground Environment X.Having said all that, I remember Geofs previous nightmare experience and can only say "we feel your pain" in best Clinton voice while biting lower lip. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I used Vista (64bit ver) since it came out and never had any issues with it other than it seemed to take a long time to boot up and my hard drive seemed to keep chattering along for a good 10-15 mins after booting up. I switched to Windows 7 beta a few months ago, and could not be happier. Everything loads faster. The computer boots up in a third of the time and no more chattering hard drive! I just hope the final release is not to different than what's in the beta. If I could, Id keep the beta forever!Rob

I know how you feel. The last time I installed FSX I got told I have activated too many times, so, on the phone I go. I gave that two attempts, the first one died half way through the prompts and the second one said I had to talk to someone and to call during business hours. It cost me nearly an hour an a lot of button pushing.Bugger that. I, er, obtained a fix in less than 5 minutes. It annoys the hell out of my that I spend a fortune on software but have to jump though hoops to use it. I can understand how a developer might feel unprotected by not stuffing us around but the fact is that the people who download this stuff for free don't have out problem. So who is it that suffers!I own at least 130 products that I want installed on my machine during a reload. About 10 of them a seriously painful because of activation limits, the others are just a nuisance with typing in long numbers. I used to upgrade hardware every month or two (for my families 4 PCs), not anymore because if I do I would spend half my life typing in **** codes.If Orbix released scenery for XPlane I would have been long gone.

Geofa,From your posted experiences on X-Plane forums it seems that you are close to parity with FSX. One more giant reload or migrate forever. Tough choice after years of evolution and experience. It is one many may have to eventually make as X-Plane evolves. It makes you wonder how many have migrated totally and become part of the "Austin clan".

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest rdg

HI, I too run Vista 64 and UAC is off. I never gave DEP a thought though. Usually if DEP is off, there is problems. Go figure. Bob

HelloI have recently reloaded FS9 and all my addons onto XP 32bit after using FSX for six monthsIt is like a weight was lifted from my shoulders :-)

Guest PPSFA

I would be dumping Vista instead of FSX. I've been running FSX with XP Pro with SP2 since day one and never had an activation problem, or for that matter any other problems. Vista is garbage, plain and simple, and I voice that opinion based on staffing a live help room 5 days a week and having to deal with its issues in the game I work with. I'm sure other's will disagree.

Sorry to hear that Geofa. Well, it's always a good idea to keep a mirrored OS and FSX image on an external USB drive. This saved my day many times - once with an activation error as well. A fresh install (i know it's a mega pita) is maybe a perfect time to get a clean backup. If you don't use Ultimate which has the complete backup feature, have a look for Macrium Reflect. I purchased this one lately for my networked PC and it works very well.Heiko

Guest firehawk44
Hi Geoff,It pains me to see someone tear apart FSX in the FSX Forum especially when there are so many flight simmers (like me) who are having much joy with the program including all the fantastic commercial and freeware addons. I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems (I have even tried to help you in the past w/o success). I know my computer systems limitations and take necessary actions to resolve those limits and get on with my life. I study the details of my operating system, memory, my video card and learn how to keep it running like a mean, lean computing machine by visiting various sites on the Internet and/or reading several books. As you know, if you are having issues with FSX, you simply go to the appropriate forum for assistance from fellow simmers to see if you can get that problem resolved. If not, you must be having a computer system problem as most flight simmers are able to fix their problem. There's the CTD forum for FSX crashes, or the video card forum for problems with graphics (just a couple of examples). If you do a search for validation problems here on AVSIM or the FSInsider site (and maybe even through Google), I think you'll find several possible remedies to fix the issue. And there are several computer experts who have visited AVSIM and placed outstanding guides on fixing certain problems, like tuning your system, tweaking FSX, or eliminating out of memory type errors. Really good stuff! I have had my copy of FSX installed on the same system since the day FSX was released to the public and have never encountered any validation problems. You have to be doing something else with your system to cause all your problems and you might think about bringing in a computer expert to help you resolve your problem(s). Perhaps your computer system and/or operating system are so old it can't handle software programs like FSX. You might need to upgrade like I did. And I know it pains you that Microsoft decided to get rid of the Aces Team. That has been discussed in depth before and there's no reason to bring it up here again (in this forum anyway). I have no problems with you ripping apart FSX or promoting another flight sim program in the Hangar Chat forum for instance, but think your negative comments about FSX are inappropriate here in the FSX forum. I hope you can someday really enjoy flight simming, whether it's FSX or X-Plane or Fly!, as much as you enjoy your real time flying.Respectfully,Jim Young