Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

I have a beef...

Guest rdg
I would be dumping Vista instead of FSX. I've been running FSX with XP Pro with SP2 since day one and never had an activation problem, or for that matter any other problems. Vista is garbage, plain and simple, and I voice that opinion based on staffing a live help room 5 days a week and having to deal with its issues in the game I work with. I'm sure other's will disagree.
Now Now Now, lets not get carried away. I am using vista 64 and optimized it to my liking. It has proven to be a very good platform for FSX. With proper tuning, love and care it performs well!!! Like many things, you must know what you are doing. If you dont, then you will have issues, and this is true with any OS.Bob

Its threads like this one that further validate why I have stayed with XP x64. I say switch your OS and be done with it! Vista has been out for a long time now and still hear people having issues with it all the time but yet they stay with it, you know kinda like how our government works. Dont worry though as Im sure it wont be long and MS will get their bailout and we will all live happily ever after!

Jim Wenham

Geofa's flirtatious relationship with "another sim" probably hurt FSX's feelings, so now it's getting even! FSX is obviously a jealous mistress! :(
Maybe Austin M. attached a mysterious virus to one of Geof's "other sim" downloads.... :( L.Adamson

Of course you know I'm with you in X-Plane Geof, but those crashes in 9.30 are getting pretty irritating too. I'm looking forward to it getting out of beta.

Of course you know I'm with you in X-Plane Geof, but those crashes in 9.30 are getting pretty irritating too. I'm looking forward to it getting out of beta.
Yes-it would be nice to have an enjoyable night of flight simming. Doesn't seem to be in the cards right now..

Geof-I think, IMHO, that the biggest problem is the Vista / FSX mismatch, and likely why, again its just MY opinion, MS felt compelled to lay off 5000 employees with 4-6 weeks notice: The OS tanked, they lost a lot of cash in sales and un-recouped R & D, and had, ultimately, to answer to shareholders - rightly or wrongly, I won't go there. But, I have FSX installed into an older, slower computer than yours, running XP / DX9c, and haven't had a fraction of the difficulties, save the endemic slow performance, that you have. I'm sure some, likely vendors with ulterior motives, will disagree, and that's fine, I have no intention of rekindling that flame. Still, I don't enjoy it really. GA aircraft fly really nicely in FSX with FTX / Orbyx sceneries, but shy of that, I really don't fly it anywhere else, or with an airliner, which is what I really enjoy flying. 3 days per week I fly airliners IFR with an on-line ATC server, and always do it with FS9. There is rarely a problem or performance issue. With FSX, my main system fan runs like crazy at 40K revolutions /minute just to keep temps in the black, and I don't over-clock anything. If it were not for headphones, I would likely have a hearing problem.I feel for you, and know you were initially very excited about FSX. Reading your past posts provided incentive to my finally loading FSX in the first place, despite really not wanting to, and I have stuck with it, following along with all of the recommended tweaks and leaving it installed, always looking for that Holy Grail breakthrough. I'm still waiting...X-plane looks to have potential, but like a young Bordeaux, is strong out of the box and lacks maturity.Regards,Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I got fsx back!How:1) two beers2) I examined certain "off limit" files and found they replaced-api.dll, fsui.dll and main.dll3) I deleted the 3 files from my fsx program directory (actually moved them to a safe place)4) I copied these 3 files from my original disk into the program directoryLucky?! Yes...Do I still think it is ridiculous to be put in this activation hell by merely clicking the fsx icon and expecting to have a nice relaxing evening of flight simming-yes!Am I convinced I am out of trouble-not yet-have had too much experience showing otherwise in the last two years.In any case-if anyone finds themselves in the same activation trouble which it seems many do-perhaps give this it a try (sp2)....and yes-I think Vista and Microsoft activation is directly responsible for this kind of nonsense.

That's great Geofa. I'm a firm believer in the healing power of a couple brewskis myself. Glad you got it all sorted!!

Guest Nick_N
I got fsx back!How:1) two beers2) I examined certain "off limit" files and found they replaced-api.dll, fsui.dll and main.dll3) I deleted the 3 files from my fsx program directory (actually moved them to a safe place)4) I copied these 3 files from my original disk into the program directoryLucky?! Yes...Do I still think it is ridiculous to be put in this activation hell by merely clicking the fsx icon and expecting to have a nice relaxing evening of flight simming-yes!Am I convinced I am out of trouble-not yet-have had too much experience showing otherwise in the last two years.In any case-if anyone finds themselves in the same activation trouble which it seems many do-perhaps give this it a try (sp2)....and yes-I think Vista and Microsoft activation is directly responsible for this kind of nonsense.
Upgrade the OS to XP x64!another VISTA song and dance... and let me tell you something... Aces was not closed because of MSFS or games being bad sellers it was closed because they screwed the pooch on Vista and they know only a certain section of the market is going to fall for being resold the same tech under another name Windows7Its really a shame. But! I have been entertained from time to time over the last 3 years on Friday night down in Kirkland, WA when I would meet up with a few Visa dev and marketing directors.. man did they pound drinks fast after work. I got more dirt from them than anyone else at corporateAfter a few good belts creative ways of making the OS "go away' was always the #1 topic ROFL

Upgrade the OS to XP x64!another VISTA song and dance... and let me tell you something... Aces was not closed because of MSFS or games being bad sellers it was closed because they screwed the pooch on Vista and they know only a certain section of the market is going to fall for being resold the same tech under another name Windows7Its really a shame. But! I have been entertained from time to time over the last 3 years on Friday night down in Kirkland, WA when I would meet up with a few Visa dev and marketing directors.. man did they pound drinks fast after work. I got more dirt from them than anyone else at corporateAfter a few good belts creative ways of making the OS "go away' was always the #1 topic ROFL
I hear you...

Yes-it would be nice to have an enjoyable night of flight simming. Doesn't seem to be in the cards right now..
I don't know Geof.....with the blurries and stutters I can't get rid of in FSX, and the constant CTDs I'm getting with XP 9.30, FS9 is starting to look pretty good right now.

I got fsx back!Geof ... I've read the whole thread. So glad you got FSX back, with a bad aftertaste in your mouth no doubt. I've enjoyed your posts so much across the last few years. Some time you need [you may have already] let us know how one maintains a passion for simming when one has so many flight opportunities in one's own Baron. If I had the money to fly again [not downing the pastorate one bit, though] and own another airplane ... and be teaching again ... I can't imagine having your passion, not to mention ... your PATIENCE with MSFS.I've heard the flight model is superior in X-plane ... is that your experience?? Actually, the old Flight Unlimited III had a superior model to many MSFS planes, IMHO.Thanks for all you have contributed!Steve

Upgrade the OS...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116378thats what I did.. narry a problem with FSX
With a kind request for patience with a computer illiterate ... and with great gratitude for your tuning guides which continue to transform my experience ... Could you please tell me if it is possible to upgrade from XP Pro 32 to 64? ... Or does it mean the dreaded start from scratch rebuild?? I got the idea that your product link was NOT an upgrade.Thanks. Steve

Geofa:Sometimes you just simply have to throw the baby out with the bathwater and start over. When your system gets to the point that its doing things that forces you to spend days troubleshooting, it is far better to simply back up your documents, blow away the entire computer, reformat, and build from scratch. In the time it takes to troubleshoot to the point of total frustration, and then get to the point where the biggest proponent for FSX is now giving up on FSX...its not worth it to take it any further. I know that Vista works. I've been using it since pre-beta, dumped XP and never looked back. I have since upgraded to Vista 64, which is an absolute MUST to run FSX, IMHO, and now have upgraded (no clean install) to Windows 7 Build 7106 RC-Escrow. In that time, not one problem have I had EXCEPT when I follow the voodoo tweaks that comes spewing out of every dark corner. For instance:1) UAC. Turn it off on a clean system BEFORE you install anything or keep it on forever. If you install FS9 or FSX and addons and then mess with UAC you will find yourself smashing your head against a wall. Turning UAC OFF takes away read/write permissions where you had them when UAC was on, this means that many software with antipiracy checks can no longer get to encrypted license files and viola, reregistration is required. So if you've messed with UAC AFTER FSX was installed that's your culprit.2) DEP. Leave it alone. Is the one program that you are trying to run that is NOT compatible with DEP worth the fact that you can really screw up explorer. DEP is only on for essential file systems anyway, leave it alone. I've never turned off DEP, have just about every 3rd party software known to man and can't find a single reason to turn it off.3) What weird stuff have you done to FSX and Vista in hopes of squeezing a few extra FPS out of it? It won't heal if you keep picking at it ya know!At the end of the day....X-Plane? Seriously? You are indeed desperate. Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to give ya a call, and let's troubleshoot (or I'll have one of my guys troubleshoot) your issue(s) and get you up and running again.Well, Geofa my friend, ummm, I can't resist, but: I TOLD YOU SO! :(Regards,