Sign in to follow this  
Guest ShaneRay

Black Screen/corrupted textures

Guest UlfB
Ulf,All display setting to the left (no minimum) and flew over ocean 2:30 Hr. Landed to JFK. I had only rwy as scenery, no terminal, no textures, nothing. No CTD or any problems happened. I will try another fly in DX9 mode, all display settings in dense or medium. I recently increased to Ram 8 Gb. Lets see what will happen?or do you have any other suggestion ?Sanal
Sanal,This seems to be a tough one.You have visual themes disabled on your FSX shortcut (right mouse click on the shortcut icon and select properties and check the Disable visual themes option on the Compatibility tab)? You have disable aero and the Vista fancy stuff? You have exactly the same graphics resolution set for your Windows desktop and in FSX?You've updated DX9 to the march 2009 release?Edited: You find the update here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...6a-9b6652cd92a3

Guest UlfB

Guess what!I took the MD-11 around for a short trip. After landing I set up an instant replay of the landing and clicked OK. My screen went black. Sounds was on, but no display. I changed to windowed mode, but the FSX screen remained black. Back to full screen, but still all black. Pressed ESC and choose to continue the flight. Still black screen. I finally had to kill my FSX process in the Task Manager.I will test the same procedure with some other aircraft and see if it's possible to reproduce the error with some other aircraft.I'll be back :(

FWIW, I created a new fsx.cfg file last night and even though my peformance increased slightly due to new perfbucket numbers, the black-screen persisted.The most reliable (not very) full screen restore method for me to date is not to ever use alt-enter. If my full screen minimizes, such as done when hitting the windows-key, I then click on the FSX button on the taskbar, if it doesn't restore to full screen (and it never does) then I hit ctl-alt-del and click the Task Manager button and wait a few seconds. FSX restores to full screen within 10 or 20 seconds after the Task Manager opens.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest UlfB

Al,I never minimize FSX in full screen mode. Allways trouble to getting back, and as you say, the easiest way is to use the Task Manager.Anyway. I discovered that using instant replay work allright with the PMDG MD-11 and 747 if you run a replay very early in a flight. If I run a replay to watch the landing at the end of a flight, it seems if the system gets overloaded. If I don't get a black screen, no textures are displayed. The graphics are never restored and I have to quit FSX.My guess is that the instant replay is a problem with advanced aircraft that use a lot of graphic card memory, such as the PMDG aircraft.I'll install the latest nVIDIA beta drivers and do some more testing later on.

Yea, agreed, I would never minimize intentionaly as well. Even my Logitech G11 gaming keyboard has a switch to disable the windows-keys to prevent the exact scenario (accidently poping up the Windows Start menu). My big problem is with FSPx, when the Inflight Report pops-up in its own window. Restoring full screen from that report window is a nightmare. It sometimes occurs on takeoff with the PMDG MD-11 because it thinks you are trying to refuel the aircraft when the fuel-logic starts to move fuel from one tank to the other after takeoff. I use the windows-key problem as a troubleshooting aid to simulate the FSPx report issue.Has anyone tried the newer 185.x beta driver to test this issue?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest ShaneRay
Has anyone tried the newer 185.x beta driver to test this issue?
Yep. Doesn't look like the 185 drivers will improve it: I still had the same issues.Shane.

Does anybody have this happening with any other aircraft of only with PMDG. I fly my leveld watch the replay press alt+enter without any problems. Jackie P

Does anybody have this happening with any other aircraft of only with PMDG. I fly my leveld watch the replay press alt+enter without any problems. Jackie P
The Windows-key minimize black-screen freeze method works with any aircraft.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest UlfB
I only have the PMDG MD-11 and 747 installed. I do own the LevelD but I haven't come around to install it yet. Is SP2 the latest update of the LevelD 767?I just ran a few testflights with the PMDG 747 and using instant replay. I took a very short flight and no problems. I then made a longer flight and added some layers of clouds. On the final I noticed that the white markings on the runway was missing. Instant replay after landing resultated once more in a black screen.I then started out once more an the longer testflight with no clouds at all. On the approach I got a CTD (no blue screen, only a CTD). After several hours of testing I give up (for now).The black screen problem with running instant replay seems to be caused by graphical overload. With default aircraft, the sim is far from smooth and you can really sense what a load the replay puts on the system. For now I will avoid instant replay with the heavy irons.

Guess what!I took the MD-11 around for a short trip. After landing I set up an instant replay of the landing and clicked OK. My screen went black. Sounds was on, but no display. I changed to windowed mode, but the FSX screen remained black. Back to full screen, but still all black. Pressed ESC and choose to continue the flight. Still black screen. I finally had to kill my FSX process in the Task Manager.I will test the same procedure with some other aircraft and see if it's possible to reproduce the error with some other aircraft.I'll be back :(
Ulf, Why don't you try DX:10 review with " AA" setting checked and select" Anisotropic" filter. Fly the same route with MD-11X. Try to duplicate same process caused balck screen. Lets see what will happen.RegardsSanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

ULFb I have the exact same experience any long flights and trying to watch the replay causes this problem. On a short flight no problem at all. In my case this only happens with the PMDG with my level d I do not experince this problem.Jackie P

Guest 413X3

Same problem here, latest official nvidia drivers with a gtx 285. only happens on pmdg aircraft. happens less often as long as im in the 2d panel first before I do anything, but last night it totally corrupted the graphics when I alt entered to switch to windowed mode.This mainly has happened now after installing the latest patch for the md-11

I will have to try and see if DX10 gives this same problem. Jackie P

Guest UlfB
Ulf, Why don't you try DX:10 review with " AA" setting checked and select" Anisotropic" filter. Fly the same route with MD-11X. Try to duplicate same process caused balck screen. Lets see what will happen.RegardsSanal
Sanal,I did some more tests and running FSX ind DX10 is the only thing that doesn't give me a black screen or distorted textures during an instant replay. The replay is a lot more fluid and smooth in DX10 preview. Sad that the graphics isn't of the same quality in DX10 mode. Any special settings in nHancer or nVIDIA control panel for DX10? In FSX I only set anisotropic filtering on and checked the Antialiasing, but still a heavy shimmering on trees.@Jackie P: I guess that the PMDG models are more complex in a graphical sense and that this makes the FSX graphics engine go wild. I'm not convinced that this is a bug or bad design of the PMDG models, maybe just to complex to be run in instant replay, which is an FSX performance killer.Well, after testing for so many hours, I give up the tests for today. Thanks to you all for efforts and help.

I am being a little premature but I used to incur my monitor going black without loading FSX. Timing would be varied from as soon as the Windows logo screen was displayed to anytime after Windows loaded. The condition was generally the monitor would turn completely black for a second or two then back to normal. I would also experience the black or white monitor issue while using FSX and since I mostly only fly PMDG I have experienced this issue with other pay aircraft.The above would occur with any Nvidia driver from 160

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.