Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ShaneRay

Black Screen/corrupted textures

Hey, guys.I thought I had this fixed, but it's still happening. Here's the deal:Load fsx default flight then load MD11. Go through normal procedures for whatever I'm doing.At some point in the flight, early or later, if I go into FSX or PMDG Menus and come back, the screen will either be black or I'll have corrupted textures.What I've tried:1) rebuild .cfg file. Only tweak in texture badwidth multi=702) older nvidia drivers.3) reduce graphics to almost nothing in FSX and flying in clear skies4) running with and without addons. These are:a) FEX (tried reducing cloud textures to 256x256)b ) GEXc) UTXd) ASA (ran with and without)e) FS2Crew (with and without)5) reinstall MD11 (tried release version, update 1, update 2)6) uninstall/reinstall sp1, sp2Only thing I haven't tried is a complete FSX reinstall. This is the only add on I'm having problems with. And, I have my doubts an FSX install will assist (plus I just did one not long ago and would prefer not to do it again so soon).My system:Dell XPS 420Quad Q66004GB RAMNvidia 8800GT (512 MB)Vista 64bitIf anyone has some suggestions, I'd appreciate it :( Thanks :( Shane Raynard

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I think I may have found a solution (Knock on wood).I found a couple of other threads where others has similar problems. One of the guys found if he decreased AF in nHancer that solved some things. My thought was, heck, get rid of nHancer all together just to see.So, I uninstalled nHancer and just used nvidia's control panel.Just finished a flight with no problems, and I seemed to get better performance and IQ. Go figure.Anyway, I'm not fully convinced yet that the problem is solved, but we'll see how it plays out after some more flights with this config.Shane Raynard

Well, I think I may have found a solution (Knock on wood).I found a couple of other threads where others has similar problems. One of the guys found if he decreased AF in nHancer that solved some things. My thought was, heck, get rid of nHancer all together just to see.So, I uninstalled nHancer and just used nvidia's control panel.Just finished a flight with no problems, and I seemed to get better performance and IQ. Go figure.Anyway, I'm not fully convinced yet that the problem is solved, but we'll see how it plays out after some more flights with this config.Shane Raynard
Shane,NHancer is not compatible with Vista 64. Check their web site.Sanal

NHancer is not compatible with Vista 64Here I am using NHancer with Vista Ultimate 64 bit and it is working perfectly.It was advised by FS-GS to use it with FSX. :(

Shane,NHancer is not compatible with Vista 64. Check their web site.Sanal
Yes, It is :(It supports all recent operating systems including Vista 32 and 64.If it does turn out to be nHancer, I'm thinking it's the way it interacts with the driver that is causing the problems. Anyway, I have the day off, so I'll do some more tests.Shane Raynard

Yes, It is :(It supports all recent operating systems including Vista 32 and 64.If it does turn out to be nHancer, I'm thinking it's the way it interacts with the driver that is causing the problems. Anyway, I have the day off, so I'll do some more tests.Shane Raynard
Good luck - and if you do find a fix that works for you, do please share it with the rest of us who are having this problem.(In my case, since uninstalling Acceleration and installing SP1 then SP2, I can sometimes complete my flights without this problem, but not always. So in some ways I suppose I've actually made things worse: at least previously I could be certain that I'd have to restart the simulator after each flight!)Tim

Shane - I had the same issue and resolved it by lowering the level of radius from large to medium on the scenery tab based on a similar post in this forum. Ever since I'm able to bring up the map, look at the PMDG Options menu, etc. without any issues.Bob L.

I have the same issue, I am glad someone else is experiencing this problem. I however use a 4870. Thanks for the info Bob, I will try this and see if it works for me.Jackie P

Shane - I had the same issue and resolved it by lowering the level of radius from large to medium on the scenery tab based on a similar post in this forum. Ever since I'm able to bring up the map, look at the PMDG Options menu, etc. without any issues.Bob L.
Thanks, Bob.I think I came across your posting during my search. However, running even at min setting didn't solve that for me, as I said.So, I just completed a flight from Halifax to Toronto (the landing was rough! I didn't have the MCDU setup right for the STAR and had to force it down manually...lol...still learning!)Anyway...second smooth flight(was in and out of menus, alt-enter the whole flight). All addons and graphics set as I would want them. I'm beginning to think nHancer was the problem. I'm going to do a return leg after lunch and see how that goes.Shane Raynard

NHancer is not compatible with Vista 64Here I am using NHancer with Vista Ultimate 64 bit and it is working perfectly.It was advised by FS-GS to use it with FSX. :(
You are right. Vista 64 is OK. I should say FSX DX10 Review is not compatible with nHancer. I am sure Grestorn from nHancer will provide proper info.RegardsSanal :(

Welp, just completed the thrid flight.This time, the problems happened after landing. I was, however, able to recover from it after a few alt-enters. The rest of the flight was no problem. So, not completely fixed, but a definite improvment. Not sure why getting rid of Nhancer has helped, but it has.I'm going to try to decrease the LOD a bit ,as Bob suggested, with this config and see what happens. Only other things I can try are a new video card (with more than the 512MB I have now) and/or going back to my Vista 32 (I never had this problem in 32 bit).Of course, once I learn a little more, I can just make sure I don't need to leave the sim.Anyway, that's where I am now...Shane Raynard

Welp, just completed the thrid flight.This time, the problems happened after landing. I was, however, able to recover from it after a few alt-enters. The rest of the flight was no problem. So, not completely fixed, but a definite improvment. Not sure why getting rid of Nhancer has helped, but it has.I'm going to try to decrease the LOD a bit ,as Bob suggested, with this config and see what happens. Only other things I can try are a new video card (with more than the 512MB I have now) and/or going back to my Vista 32 (I never had this problem in 32 bit).Of course, once I learn a little more, I can just make sure I don't need to leave the sim.Anyway, that's where I am now...Shane Raynard
Following your lead, I've had good results so far with these steps:1. Uninstall nHancer.2. Uninstall GTX285 from the Control Panel, choosing to delete the driver files.3. Before re-booting, run "Driver Sweeper" (free from Guru3d) 4 or 5 times in Administrator Mode to clean up Nvidia Display drivers and registry entries.4. Reboot: Windows re-installs the GTX285.5. In the Nvidia Control Panel, Global settings, set anisotropic filering and antialising mode to "Application-controlled". Make sure there are no custom settings for FSX in the "Program Settings" tab.6. In the FSX Display settings, choose anisotropic filtering and turn antialiasing "on".This does of course involve a slight compromise on quality and perhaps performance, but so far it seems to have brought things under control in my "acid test" flights. Fingers crossed ...Tim

Following your lead, I've had good results so far with these steps:1. Uninstall nHancer.2. Uninstall GTX285 from the Control Panel, choosing to delete the driver files.3. Before re-booting, run "Driver Sweeper" (free from Guru3d) 4 or 5 times in Administrator Mode to clean up Nvidia Display drivers and registry entries.4. Reboot: Windows re-installs the GTX285.5. In the Nvidia Control Panel, Global settings, set anisotropic filering and antialising mode to "Application-controlled". Make sure there are no custom settings for FSX in the "Program Settings" tab.6. In the FSX Display settings, choose anisotropic filtering and turn antialiasing "on".This does of course involve a slight compromise on quality and perhaps performance, but so far it seems to have brought things under control in my "acid test" flights. Fingers crossed ...Tim
Good luck, Tim.Keep us (me) posted.Going to try another flight now. Also, going to uninstall and then reinstall the C++ redistributables as well...can't hurt.Shane

Not to be the bearer of doom and gloom but I have uninstalled Enhancer and flown long enough to have experienced the problem again without Enhancer. Also a search through the great wide web has indicated that this phenomenon is not specific to FSX. I have read many a post from other gamer

I have an ATI card and I have the same problem.:( It only happens with the PMDG as I can fly the 767 with out a problem.Jackie P

Not to be the bearer of doom and gloom but I have uninstalled Enhancer and flown long enough to have experienced the problem again without Enhancer. Also a search through the great wide web has indicated that this phenomenon is not specific to FSX. I have read many a post from other gamer’s experiencing a similar issue. I am more inclined to think that it is a Nividia issue as I do not see many claiming to have this problem on ATI. Anyway best of luck.
Don't doubt you at all, Gary :( I did see a noticable improvment in overall sim performance after getting rid of nhancer, as well as getting "further" without the black screens. So, It's probably the Nvidia Driver, the way nhancer talks to the driver, and who knows what else (for my system anyway).So, I just completed the exact flight, and the problems happened at the exact same time--right after touch down and during taxi to the gates.One more flight to try decreasing the radius slider a bit, then that's it. I'll just need to stay outta the menus if at all possible. And, I'm half thinking about just purchasing the fs9 version and be done with it.It's a shame, this frustration is ruining what is otherwise an awesome experience. what can ya do :( Off to try another (I'm stubborn).Shane Raynard.

This happens to me a lot aswell if I go into the menu tab for anything when I come back the panel is greyed out or the plane textures disappear, however!!!!! I noticed that if I enter the menu when the 2D cockpit is active I have no problems at all. So if I have to do something I always switch my view from the 3d cockpit to the 2d cockpit.

I have an ATI card and I have the same problem.:( It only happens with the PMDG as I can fly the 767 with out a problem.Jackie P
Well that shot the heck out of that therory.I Always fly online using FSINN. I have a button setup that opens the chat window in FSINN. I often get the blackout while opening and closing the chat window. Often if I wait a bit and repeatedly open and close the chat window, I can recover from the blackout.This black monitor issue started for me rather suddenly. I was never sure if it was a Nivida driver update or some other MS update/Directx, Hotfix or some other. It was like it was never there at all and all of a sudden one day there she was. Really frustrating after setting up for a flight and bang she blacks out or on a 3-mile final and she turns to black.

Yea I know it is very frustrating. Its a hit and miss I guess :(Jackie P

I also get the black screen of death every once in a while in FSX.I've never used nHancer.Tried a complete reinstall, FSX aswell.Going to try going to the 2D Panel first now.

I was still doing some more testing today.there was only one flight I was able to complete with out problems: I turned down the radius slider and the global texture. I also decreased AF a little. I probably should have done one at time. We'll see. (Staying in the 2d only did not help).Funny thing is, it always happens right after landing. I'm wondering if something in the airport animiations is just pushing it over the edge. Anyway, I'm going to leave it alone for a couple of days and just get back to flying. One can only tinker and tweak so much!Shane.

I haven't searched for the answer to this yet, but...Any problems like this for the FS9 version under Vista 64?If I can't get it so I can complete a flight 99.99% of the time, I'll get the fS9 version.Thanks!Shane

Well, I think I'm getting there :(I've completed two flights today (I've been on vaction by the way lol) with no problems.The first flight was the one I could guarantee I would have problems. The second was a longer flight from toronto to Calgary (in real time), that one was no problem either.These 3 things I think made the difference:1) No nHancer (I get better sim performace without it, anyway. This I was shocked at).2) Radius slider to Med.3) And FEX clouds to 256x256 (I don't know why I didn't do this before...I can't tell the difference from the larger resolutions at all unless I'm flying through the cloud).Those seemed to give me enough headroom.So, I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I think I got it. :(

I no longer think this is a specific PMDG issue as I can now generate a black-screen and/or a white-screen freeze or lock when switching from full screen mode using almost any aircraft. Nick and I have started a conversation regarding this topic over in the hardware forum here:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...t&p=1576794I now seem to be able to generate the black-screen freeze at will by simply hitting the windows-key while in full screen mode. It drops FSX to a taskbar button while the Windows Start menu pops up. When I attempt to restore from the FSX taskbar button, all is usually lost, except audio.Last night I tried with different nHancer settings, with and without nHancer, with and without FPS_Limiter, all to no avail. My next guess is maybe remove the buffer-pools entry in my FSX.cfg later tonight and see if that makes a difference.